Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-13-21, 09:38 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Yoga With Kassandra, Morning Yoga, Day 13 followed by Pahla B Body Shaping Day 2 and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Today was one of those days that just melted away. I made sourdough rolls for the first time and they turned out really good if I do say so myself. DH has been working out with resistance bands at home and two broke recently so we went to Big 5 to get new ones. He didn't find any bands but we both ended up buying shoes. We then went to Marshalls (it's next to the Big 5) where he found some bands and I ended up getting some kitchen stuff.

When we got home, we moved the washer and dryer so DH could check the dryer vent to see if it was clear because he hadn't checked it in years (it was). So lots of odds and ends type of stuff. I had intended to sew today but never got to it.

Anita, hope you and Gus had a nice walk and your friend was able to get your snowblower working. I started this bread journey with YouTube videos making yeast bread/rolls with store bought yeast. Then I watched a few videos on how to make your own sourdough starter. It took 12 days before I thought the starter might be strong enough to make something. Since the starter is new and immature, it took more than 12 hours for the dough to double, but the rolls came out really good. So, to answer your question, yes, I have a new live pet living in my refridgerator. I'm taking Ben Starr on YouTubes advice on feeding etc. which is the easiest and seems to be working.

DH has had to take a lot of anitbiotics over the past year and as a result I think the bacteria in his stomach has suffered, he has a lot of indigestion now. I've read sourdough bread is the most digestible and helps create the right bacteria in the stomach. I've also read much of the sourdough sold in the market isn't real sourdough, just made to taste like it. So I'm trying to learn make the real thing at home, hoping it will be something we can both enjoy and will help his stomach problems. If it doesn't work out at least I've had some fun learning something new. Is this more information than you wanted?
Paula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 08:44 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Today will be a rain/snow day turning to full snow by tomorrow - about 6" expected. I'll still be taking Gus for a walk in this but maybe in my neighborhood, not driving to a park. I'll also be playing Carcassonne this morning and maybe doing some chair yoga later or attending a seminar later this morning. Otherwise putzing... I do need to water my orchids today.

I hope Laura pops in with a posting...

Paula, I don't think I have much as far as resistance band at home, although I think I do have some from the hospital PT - they never age very well! I did the dryer vent check earlier this fall also and didn't find much - tried to find a brush that can handle the turns in that piping and never had any luck with that. Yes the snowblower now starts - yay! Hope to use it for this storm. Awww, enjoy your yeasty starter pet . Thanks for your explanations!

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 11:16 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Sorry I have been out of sight. Really sorry. I missed posting on Monday and was going to catch up Tuesday evening. At 6:40 Tuesday evenng, I felt like I had a catch in my right side and then a pain like I have never experienced came roaring through my body on that right side. I have a high level of tolerance for pain, so when DH saw me laying on the bed whimpering because of the pain, he took me to an urgent care place by the local hospital. They were getting ready to close for the evening, so when the first three tests showed nothing, they sent me next door to the emergency department at the hospital. They determined it was my gall bladder and that I needed surgery to take it out. That happened yesterday morning and I came home last night. DH's summary of what the surgeon told him was that my gall bladder was growing golf ball collection with three really big gall stones and multiple smaller ones. There was also thickening of the walls of the gallbladder since some stones were sticking to the gallbladder walls. With all of that happening within 26 hours, I feel like I have medical whiplash.

Last night, I slept like te dead until 6:00 am when I woke up with lots of pain. So I took pain medications and slept until 9:30. Mom and Dad are going to the grocery store and will bring us a couple things we need. Otherwise, I'm charged with resting while getting up and moving around some. DH has been great to take care of me and it has been tough on him given how he has felt, so I'm hoping he'll rest some to. We may watch a lot of TV today.

So, I'm back and will be here more.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-21, 12:23 PM  
sciencelady

Oh my gosh, Laura! Gallbladder surgery?!

I had that happen to me about 40 years ago - they couldn't figure out it was gallbladder for quite a while, but a new student physician finally did it that day at the student clinic and that evening I went to the hospital because of pain. My poop was white from no gall and my urine was darker than black coffee. Pain was incredible! Liver enzymes were sky high in my blood. My surgery was the old fashioned cut across the upper right abdomen and I was in the hospital for a week because my pancreas wasn't happy either. I'm amazed you were able to get yours done in a day (26 hours)! I hope your recovery goes well! You and DH both need to cuddle and rest watching TV - keep away from the politics on there! Less stress that way.

Anita
Old 01-14-21, 08:50 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B Body Shaping Day 3 - Cardio, Yoga with Kassandra Morning Day 14, and a neighborhood walk with DH.

Another day doing stuff around the house. I did manage to get some sewing done on my quilt in progress.

Laura, I am so glad you are home and doing better! What a scary ordeal you and your husband have been through. I'm with Anita, you two cuddle up, watch TV and rest (I also agree with her recommendation to avoid politics on TV).

Anita, stay warm in all the cold weather and snow. 6" of snow overnight seems like a lot to me - hope your snowblower stays working and can handle the job.
Old 01-15-21, 07:42 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC this morning taking care of bats - LOTS of bats! The snow doesn't appear to be as much as predicted but more may be coming. I certainly don't mind if we're way below our 6" predicted. I'll have to check out the road condition on the way to WRC, but that may be a factor in how far I drive (if at all) for Gus's walk today. Otherwise putzing the rest of the day.

Laura, hope you're feeling better after your surgery and recovery goes well! Take some time off your teaching, if possible.

Paula, enjoy sewing your quilt . Not sure if the snow needs a snowblower at this stage, but I'll hand shovel the sidewalk this morning.

Anita
Old 01-15-21, 02:35 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Day 2 of recovery. I've not done much, which is good. It started out sunny and now it's raining, so not going outside the house again is fine with me. I figure if I get bored before I'm fully recovered, I can always crash my parents' house.

Anita - Your experience definitely sounds worse than mine. That would be scary. Hope you were able to get around alright.

Paula - Yeah, we are definitely watching TV, mainly network shows and Netflix shows. There isn't much politics in what we're watching, or it's historical. (We're watching The Crown.)

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-15-21, 08:53 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Body Shaping Day 4 followed by Yoga with Kassandra Morning Yoga - Day 15. Today was a beautiful day weatherwise - like a summer day. We did some flying and it was a really clear nice day for it.

Anita, glad you may not get the full 6" of snow. I do hope you and Gus were able to get a walk in. I can imagine it's easy to get stir crazy if you feel confined by snow and icy streets. Enjoy feeding the bats.

Laura, glad you're recovering as well as can be expected at home. The value of rest is often underestimated. My sister and BIL in your area got their first COVID vaccination today and my brother has an appointment for next week. I am jealous as it looks as though it may be months before I am able to get one here.
Old 01-16-21, 08:17 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I haven't taken much pain medication since late yesterday afternoon. So I feel like I'm making progress. This afternoon, I have a training session and feel ready for that. I haven't been out of the house since getting home from the hospital and having contact with someone outside of here will be nice.

Paula - Yeah, my parents have an appointment today to go get their vaccine. I'm glad they are able to get theirs. I'm sorry your state is behind. There are problems with the vaccine rollout in so many places.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Old 01-16-21, 09:27 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus at the park, but trying to avoid really steep hill paths as everything is very icy here. I did have help with the bats at WRC yesterday and finished them around 10 am - I went on and cleaned snake cages and fed squirrels in isolation. Kind of surprised so much was able to get done. The snow was only about two inches at most but all as heavy slush - glad I was able to clear my driveway and sidewalks hand shoveling as everything is now hard frozen. Otherwise, planning on putzing and may try to make a grocery run.

Laura, glad you're comfortable to skip pain meds today. Your method seems so much more advanced than what I went through. I'm glad your parents are able to get their vaccine - hope all turns out well and they get their shots.

Paula, sorry you have a long wait for the vaccine being at your age - I may have months to wait still. I'm hoping the booster shot in a few weeks is available also - sounds like the supplies aren't what they talked about having a few days ago.

Anita