Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-21, 11:22 AM  
susand

thanks kat for the update! i have not done that one in quite awhile. the knee extensions with leg weights-i always feel that the next day.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 12:58 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by susand View Post
thanks kat for the update! i have not done that one in quite awhile. the knee extensions with leg weights-i always feel that the next day.
I bet! I did not use ankle weights this time through but I may next time. With longer workouts, I feel like I can skip ankle weights and still get a good leg workout, but since these are so short individually, ankle weights may increase the efficacy.
Old 01-15-21, 07:03 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Today I finished the second workout in Personal Trainer Series: Total Body Sculpting, having done the first one a few days ago. This tape (because I did have to buy a used copy on VHS!) is divided up into two, 25-minute routines that you're supposed to alternate, but after doing both of them, I think next time I will combine them. Each workout starts with 2 minutes of light aerobics and stretches to warm up, and then the first workout goes into largely seated upper-body work, with a little bit of static lunges (all assisted by a chair). The second workout is hamstring work, some seated shoulder work, and abs. Both workouts end with a nice stretch. Not a big calorie burn on either one, and they both felt very easy to me, but then I was using extremely light weights while I learned the moves. I think using heavier weights would be pretty easy to do here, as both workouts are low rep. I think, too, that combining them into one 50-minute workout feels more like what I'm used to when doing strength-focused routines such as the FIRM and Jari Love (although here, again, there is very little in the way of cardio and nothing is high rep).

I do like this a lot and appreciate that having two separate routines allows for some flexibility in terms of how you want to use the tape. This is one of Jane's later releases, from 1995, and she leads the entire thing alone in a nice, bright room. Her leotard doesn't even look that dated!
This is one of my favorite Jane workouts, I originally had the VHS years ago, then bought the DVD (personal trainer series). Then for some dumb reason I sold off the DVD, which I of course regretted later. I rebought it a couple years ago for around $10. I will never let this one out of my collection again. It is a nice workout that hits all the muscles thoroughly and yes you can go heavier on it. I usually combine the two. Just a really nice workout and I am grateful to have it. Glad you enjoyed it.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-21, 11:56 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
This is one of my favorite Jane workouts, I originally had the VHS years ago, then bought the DVD (personal trainer series). Then for some dumb reason I sold off the DVD, which I of course regretted later. I rebought it a couple years ago for around $10. I will never let this one out of my collection again. It is a nice workout that hits all the muscles thoroughly and yes you can go heavier on it. I usually combine the two. Just a really nice workout and I am grateful to have it. Glad you enjoyed it.
Oo, yes, hang onto that DVD version, because it was NOWHERE to be found when I went on my Jane buying spree. The VHS works okay, and I still have a good VCR *knock on wood*, so that works for me, but I really wish I'd been able to find the DVD.
Old 01-16-21, 07:23 AM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat999 View Post
Oo, yes, hang onto that DVD version, because it was NOWHERE to be found when I went on my Jane buying spree. The VHS works okay, and I still have a good VCR *knock on wood*, so that works for me, but I really wish I'd been able to find the DVD.
If you are interested, Amazon does have it available used, there is a copy available for $11 plus shipping right now from Decluttr store.

https://www.amazon.com/Jane-Fonda-Co...0799659&sr=8-1

The normal price is ridiculous, it is back to being marked really high. But when I rebought a used copy it was around the same price used ($10-11) I will admit I mainly use the sculpting workout, but do like the abs and buns one too from time to time, and the stretching routine on the other workout.

Just something to consider.

Last edited by Taramisu; 01-16-21 at 07:45 AM. Reason: spelling
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 07:51 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramisu View Post
If you are interested, Amazon does have it available used, there is a copy available for $11 plus shipping right now from Decluttr store.
Just something to consider.
Oo, thank you, Taramisu! I think I saw that version and didn't check beyond the INSANE price for the new copy (almost $100). I snagged the Decluttr store's copy!
Old 01-16-21, 08:35 PM  
patrice
VF Supporter

Darn, I avoided this thread, but now I am hooked. I did Step and Stretch today. Off to fo find more on YouTube.

Patrice
patrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-21, 08:44 PM  
kat999

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrice View Post
Darn, I avoided this thread, but now I am hooked. I did Step and Stretch today. Off to fo find more on YouTube.
Haha, Patrice! I'm happy you're hooked! I'm having a lot of fun with these. On Monday, I'm going to start doing her newer "Prime Time" workouts (I didn't purchase all of those, just her toning and yoga DVDs; I did the walking one when it first came out and found it was nowhere near challenging enough so I gave it away).
Old 01-18-21, 11:34 AM  
kat999

This morning I did Prime Time: Fit & Strong, from Jane's later series in the 2010s. This DVD consists of two workouts, one beginner and one advanced, both of which are about 25 minutes long. I actually went ahead and did both of them today just to test them out. Neither presented an actual challenge separately, but stringing them together wasn't too bad, and I imagine that doing these with heavier weights (I did beginner with 1 lbs. and advanced with 2 lbs., just to learn the routines) would have more of an impact. I'm 45, so I'm not quite the target audience for this workout, but I do have a few mobility issues that could use some training, including some hip flexor problems, and I will definitely keep this DVD for light days. I might rotate between the two routines, because I don't necessarily see them as beginner and advanced but just different ways of doing similar moves, and so doubling up just means I worked through a nearly identical routine twice. What I really like about this DVD is the emphasis on stretching and holding stretches for a long time at the end.

All in all, this DVD can be used as full workout for people over 60 or so or who are recovering from illness, injury, or surgery, and for others I think it provides essentially an active recovery routine. I did this after doing some separate ab work, a ten-minute kickboxing routine, and then did a short yoga DVD afterward, so you could also use these to pair with something more strenuous if you wanted.

Jane makes a lot of mention of her "bionic" parts here, including having one titanium knee and one ceramic hip. It's kind of amazing what medical science has brought us!
Old 01-18-21, 02:31 PM  
susand

interesting kat! i am 62. have never tried the fit and strong dvd (yet) i will be curious to know how you like the am/pm yoga. i have you to thank for doing 'step and stretch' yesterday! this is a great thread i always like to read.
susand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jane fonda, significant weight loss