Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-15-12, 12:59 PM  
pattyd0319

I'm going to purchase the NikeFuel band and see how that works once its available again (its sold out online). I like the idea of getting an overall estimate of how many calories I burn each day.

Now if only they could invent something to automate how many calories I consume without having to write or type it all down, I'd be set. Imagine something on your wrist warning you "you have reached your calorie goal for the day". LOL
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 01:07 PM  
Cammie-Cam

Quote:
Originally Posted by moviegrl1737 View Post
FWITW I love my bodybugg and find the number motivating me to move more throughout the day at what is usually a more sedentary job. That alone makes it worth it's weight in gold.

ETA: Lots of people put the Bodybugg unit in their bra under their left armpit. The readings are supposedly as accurate as wearing it on the arm and no questions about what the heck that is on your arm. Personally, everyone knows how I am about using gadgets and losing weight. They stopped asking long ago.
Oh! That's good to know. Thanks for the info!
Cammie-Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 01:09 PM  
slysam

Good point about the "burn up to 1000 calories a workout" claims. I have never burned that much in an our as estimated by any device I've tried so far (fitbit and heart rate monitors--I am on my second of each). I have to work pretty hard to get an occasional 500 calories for an hour.

Hmmm... I actually think both my fitbit and hrm are a pretty accurate but on the slightly high side of accurate for me (based on using them together for a year and a half). But since both are estimating based on their inputs, they may vary in how accurate they are for any one individual. For many cardio workouts that can easily be translated into steps, my hrm and fitbit give me the same or similar calorie burn estimate. My fitbit does give me more calorie burn credit for brisk walking than my hrm does but less than most online calculators do for the distance and duration covered. Oh, other than walking, when my fitbit and hrm disagree, the fitbit is always the lower estimate. I've come to feel it probably doesn't matter what you use to estimate calorie burn as long as it is consistent and ideally based on actual feedback from your body (rather than a calculator online unless that is all you have). If it estimates high, you can see that overtime and adjust accordingly. I also track my food intake and try to have an extra 100 calorie or so cushion around whatever my goal is at the time to account for any potential overestimating from fitbit or my hrm. That seems to work, I maintain when I am within 100 calories of what it estimates as my daily burn, I lose if I am several hundred below it most days. I tend to use my hrm for intentional workouts and my fitbit for walking and daily activity. (Yes, I did say I think it may overestimate brisk walking for me, I just don't want to wear my hrm on if I am walking on errands or for leisure).

On the fitbit forum there are discussions by users who have used gowear and body bugg, etc. and they tend to say they get a higher burn estimate from the bugg type devices than from fitbit. I don't think that is the case for everyone, but that seems fairly common. I am quite curious about these but I know I wouldn't wear it consistently for more than a week or two so it isn't worth it (they should do a rental service). I love my fitbit though and haven't really had any of the problems some people experience with it.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 01:55 PM  
Cammie-Cam

I just looked up the Nike Fuel. Um. Yeah. WANT.
Old 02-15-12, 08:25 PM  
slysam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie-Cam View Post
I just looked up the Nike Fuel. Um. Yeah. WANT.
Report back when you get it. I am curious.
slysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 09:09 PM  
Melissasue

Now I am torn?

I wanted the Fitbit, but now I am interested in this Nike Fuel band? Does anyone have the Nike Fuel band? I see that it is sold out. I am so inpatient that Fitbit may win simply because it is in stock. I also like the idea of fitbit being hidden. I work with children and can only imagine how easily they would destroy the Nike Fuel band?
Melissasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-12, 10:02 PM  
dela

In looking up the Nike FuelBand I found an article that referenced the Jawbone Up. I used to wear the GoWearFit (bodybugg) but could not stand the size of it or how it felt.

I read the Nike Fuel should come out with an Android version in a few months, right now you can only sync with an iPhone. Also, read the Jawbone has had some battery issues.

I'm really looking forward to getting one of these when everything is worked out. Right now I'm leaning toward the Jawbone.

ETA: Just realized the Up is also only for iPhone
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-12, 06:51 PM  
Getfit

ETA: Lots of people put the Bodybugg unit in their bra under their left armpit. The readings are supposedly as accurate as wearing it on the arm and no questions about what the heck that is on your arm. Personally, everyone knows how I am about using gadgets and losing weight. They stopped asking long ago.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I am going to have to try this. I love my bodybugg. I was lost when my subscription lapsed because I didn't want to pay the monthly membership fee but luckily they had an awesome deal during the holidays and I was able to renew it. I wear mine almost everyday especially in the winter. I always try to meet my target goal which is 10,000 steps, 2450 cal and 45 min of activity. I love the display and I had to laugh because I left my arm display at home on Friday and my DS saw it and dropped it off at my job because he knows I will be lost without it. I had a friend who got mad at me because when we went dancing I had it on. She told me it was nothing sexy about it but my thought was dancing is cardio and I wanted to know how many calories I burned on the dance floor r. Now I am very excited to know I can wear it without people asking questions or I can be discreet during the warmer months.
Old 02-21-12, 04:45 PM  
bfit

Can you wear a Fitbit or anything like it for exercise in the water like swimming or water aerobics? I am thinking about getting one, but a fair amount of my exercise is in the water.
bfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-12, 10:42 AM  
Cammie-Cam

Oy! Wrong thread.

Tags
bodybugg, calorie burn counter, fitbit, heart rate monitor, hrm