Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-14, 11:53 AM  
donnamp

I have to admit the epilator discussions scared me!!!

I do have a question - has anyone suddenly experienced sensitivity to products they were able to use previously? I have been having trouble w/ Paula's Choice BHA 2% (4% is awful for me - which brings me to another question - do you know if Paula will accept a return on this even though I bought it 6 months ago? I thought it may have been the winter's dryness that made my skin intolerant, but I have tried in the summer and I get almost like a sunburn from it w/ swelling around my eyes - even though I don't use it near my eyes!) and now Paula's Skin balancing serum w/ retinol. I'm wondering if I just can't tolerate retinol at all - previously, this was the only brand I could use and I did the every other day thing w/ it. The BHA I have used for a long time, but suddenly I get the sunburn and swelling reaction from it. I wonder if I should go down to 1% or maybe try an AHA instead - but I think the BHA is better for my skin type (oily).

What to do?

This was more of a rant/vent than anything else.

I think I'm going to try to stick w/ Paula's Earth Sourced Products and Hydralight - those seem to be the best for me.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 12:13 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMonkey View Post
I use a non-powered coil thingy for my facial hair.
I think you are talking about the Bellabe. I use one for my upper lip, but it is so painful for me! I prefer dermaplaning for my face, with wax being the second choice. However, I am hairier than my sisters...they love Bellable for their face and they swear it doesn't hurt as much as waxing. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001RP...&robot_redir=1

For my legs and underarms, I use an Emjoi Optima epilator. I've used many epilators over the years and I've found this one to be the best (unless something better has one out in the past 4 years...I've been happy with the Emjoi, so I haven't shopped around): http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004KM...110_SY165_QL70

And recently I purchased the me Smooth laser hair removal system. I purchased it at Nordstrom in case it doesn't meet my needs. Since it takes at least a couple of months to monitor results, I wanted to purchase from a store with an outstanding return policy. I only got it last week, so I can't comment on my experience or the product yet. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C3M...&pi=SX200_QL40

Can you tell that hair removal is a big deal for me?? I also have a recurring waxing appointment for my bikini area. I've tried epilating "down there" and almost ended up in the Emergency Room a couple of times. Point being...I prefer different hair removal methods for different body parts. I've been using an epilator, however, for more than 20 years...ever since my mom purchased an EpiLady for herself and then never used it because it was so painful. I happily took it off her hands and I never went back to a razor again.

ETA - Regarding the epilating technique that works for me...I only use the epilator on dry skin. For my legs, I take a soak in a hot bath first. I dry off and then go over my legs with a loofah mitt to exfoliate and get the hairs away from the leg. Then I epilate. When I think the leg is good, I go over it with the loofah mitt once more and do one more quick pass with the epilator.

For underarms, I've found that I can only epilate on super dry skin. I'm talking about not after a shower, not after a workout, not after any activity where my armpits may have been less than dry. I don't even exercise or shower right after epilating my underarms. For some reason, if I get any moisture in that area directly before or afterward, I will "break out" with what looks like a heat rash or tiny red bumps that will stay around for a few days and it is really painful.
Old 07-25-14, 05:49 PM  
Leonana

Donna, you could always contact PC's customer service. They might say no, but at least you gave it a shot.

As for BHA or AHA, why don't you order a sample? I think there is a 1% BHA lotion that might work for you. That way you won't be out that much money if it doesn't work. I think they don't even charge shipping for samples. You could also order more than one sample, if you want to try it for a week or so.
Old 07-25-14, 06:52 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonana View Post
Donna, you could always contact PC's customer service. They might say no, but at least you gave it a shot.

As for BHA or AHA, why don't you order a sample? I think there is a 1% BHA lotion that might work for you. That way you won't be out that much money if it doesn't work. I think they don't even charge shipping for samples. You could also order more than one sample, if you want to try it for a week or so.
I think you should call PC's customer service too. They will probably give you a refund or credit and can advise you what might work better for you.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-14, 07:39 PM  
donnamp

Thanks, Leslie and Sherry - I think I will give them a call and see how it goes.

Donna
Old 07-26-14, 12:49 PM  
Leonana

Donna, I think this article might answer your question.

http://www.smartskincare.com/skincar...foliation.html

Quote:
For most people who decide to exfoliate, once or twice a week is sufficient. You should determine optimal frequency based on your skin type, strength of the exfoliants you use, application technique and other factors. If you develop irritation, increased sensitivity or dryness, you are probably exfoliating too much.

Popular exfoliation methods include alpha and beta hydroxy acids, enzyme peels, microdermabrasion and others. Some may have collateral benefits. For example, alpha-hydroxy acids (especially glycolic and lactic) seem to have additional skin benefits independently of their exfoliating effect, such as improvement of dermal matrix. Beta-hydroxy acids, such as salicylic acid, are particularly effective in reducing excess oil production and may be a good fit for oily, acne-prone skin. On the other hand, chronic irritation and skin damage from overuse of acidic exfoliants is a known dermatological entity and may contribute to skin aging. Be prudent: listen to your skin, use common sense and inform yourself before trying anything new.
HTH!
Old 07-26-14, 01:47 PM  
pharma_gal

What is the best thing to use for facial hair..nair, waxing, threading? Thanks.
pharma_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 06:33 PM  
donnamp

Hi,

Sherry- thank you for that article! It was very helpful. I have been using the BHA 2% morning and night - it could be too much for me and then on alternate nights I have been adding the retinol. I think I will take a break and maybe exfoliate w/ the 2% BHA every other night for a week or two - if I tolerate it well, I may try to go daily once a day at night and maybe add retinol every 3rd day. On the bright side, I think this will save me some money as I won't go through as much product!
I am still going to contact PC about the 4% BHA and possibly returning it b/c I think that is just too strong for me.

Donna
Old 07-26-14, 10:27 PM  
beyond.omega
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
Personally, threading is easiest on my facial skin. Waxing leaves me with bumps for two weeks whereas my face recovers from threading within a day (a few hours.) The thought of nair on my face freaks me out. Also, does nair even get the hair all the way down to the root the way both threading and waxing do?

However, I have to drive over an hour for threading and also make sure my threading lady is available. A lot of the time I have to painstakingly tweeze my lip at least once a week. So, I'm thinking about trying that Bellebe that Gmonkey recommended. Thanks Gmonkey...and Glamgal, thanks for all of your suggestions! Your post is mking me think about epilating for my underarms and legs.
beyond.omega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-14, 11:09 PM  
adawn
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharma_gal View Post
I use an epilator on my face. I used to use wax strips you could buy at the store, but I inevitably would rip up a layer of delicate skin in the process of waxing my upper lip and end up with a red splotchy mustache for a day or two afterward. Not pretty. Plus, the epilator ends up being pretty cost effective in the long term.
adawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty, beauty thread, cosmetics, makeupalley, paula's choice, shapewear, skin care, spanx