Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-01-20, 07:24 AM  
JBliff

Total Max Mixers - Week of November 1

Wow, I can't believe it's November already. It's going to be Christmas before we know it! We had a lovely seasonal day yesterday--50s and sunny.

My workout Friday was Perfect30 Pump Lower Body. I matched Cathe's weights and went heavier on a couple of exercises, mostly because I didn't feel like taking off/putting on my weighted gloves. I really haven't lifted that heavy for a while and super heavy weights usually bother my back a bit. I might back off a little next time. Yesterday I was feeling a bit tight so I just did Perfect30 Mobility Basics and core. I liked the Mobility Basics workout even though it was pretty easy. I really could tell which side of my body was tighter though.

Karjoy - Great job running 7 miles on your own. I assume you listen to music as you run or have a nice view on the trail? Did you get any trick or treaters? We didn't have anyone, since our town is discouraging it this year.

Vannie - That's cool you got a rower from the thrift store. I guess you could estimate how far you row based on how hard or how long you do it? I have to admit I never watch horror movies now. I used to when I was little but they gave me nightmares and I haven't watched any since.

Cher - Any more news on your sister and cousin?

Gibbee - I hope you are doing OK.

Have a good day, everyone.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 10:14 AM  
Vantreesta

I have always loved Halloween and have very fond memories of trick or treating as kids. We lived on a farm in the country so Mom would drive us into the town where we went to church and we would go to houses there since we knew almost everyone. I think most years we then went the few miles to the town where we got groceries and any other shopping and would stop at my grandparents' house and my great grandma's when she was alive plus the stores. Maybe those memories are part of why I love Halloween so much. Going through my mom's stuff I found one of my very favorite books as a kid, which is called Trick or Treat. We had looked for it before, thinking it was with our stuff but it actually was with her school stuff. I'm so happy to have found it! I plan to read it today since I was too caught up in movies and stuff yesterday.

I have all sorts of thoughts in my head for the month but never got an actual plan laid out so I will be doing that today. I did sign up for Rowvember and got the first workout email today. I was hoping they would be YouTube workouts but they are just written. Fortunately today's is for time. I don't have a monitor on my cheap rower so if he starts doing them for distance it won't be as easy since I'll have to find a way to guesstimate.

I sat outside last night for the trick or treating, about 2 hours (usually more like 3 hours). The temp wasn't too bad but wind was over 20 mph so it was still pretty cold. I ended up having to pop into the house for gloves and then for a blanket and then to swap my sneakers for boots. I had talked to a neighbor and she said they and some others were sitting outside just figuring it would have some less covid risk. I had enough candy for about twice as many kids (ended up with about 140 kids, compared to 220 last year) so we have a lot left. I made myself feel kinda rotten last night from eating so much. I made popcorn to go with my movie so I hate to think how much more candy I would have eaten without that! It was ridiculous, I really was bad as a kid. I have separated out some candy for myself so that hopefully it will help me control myself. Everything is going in the freezer so it won't stare us in the face till it's gone. By having my stash the hope is that I will use it wisely and not feel like I have to eat some NOW before hubby eats it all. I hope this works bc I am at my highest weight and feeling very discouraged about it.

My 80yo great uncle is in the hospital with double pneumonia and his covid test came back positive yesterday. They are treating him with steroids and breathing treatments and he says he is feeling some better. His son has it, daughter-in-law is sick but supposedly negative, daughter tested positive but is asymptomatic. A friend of mine found out her whole family has covid. I wish a magic wand could return us to the way life was in 2019. Well, I wish for a better world than that, but this one is particularly rotten.

JB, I have a friend who liked horror movies until she had kids and now she can't watch them anymore. I never saw one until I was in college. My mom did not do scary at all. She actually made us leave the theater during Ghostbusters! I'm not sure if it scared her or if she was just worried that we would be scared and have nightmares. She saw it when we were older and was fine. But last year she watched Beetlejuice and was spooked. She watched scary stuff when she was younger so I wonder if she was like my friend and had to stop when we were born. There was one movie that just saying the title would almost give her nightmares, it had scared her so much when she was younger. I finally watched it last night, somehow feeling it was weirdly appropriate or smthg in the year we lost her. I can't imagine being scared from it, let alone being haunted by it the rest of my life! But some of our quirks are endearing and her inability to tolerate anything scary or spicy will always be a fun little thing we remember about her. We used to tease her and she was just like hey, you do you, I'll do me. Oddly enough, the first horror movie I watched was Poltergeist and for some reason she watched it with me! Yep, she was spooked, but I was hooked.

Sorry to ramble on. Feeling nostalgic, I guess. Yesterday was tougher without her than I anticipated.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 06:10 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Hi all. Hope everyone is having a good Sunday. Ours has been gorgeous with temps in the 70s and it will get to the mid 40s tonight. Yippee! Thanks for starting us as usual Jbliff.

I ran 3 miles today and then did some of Cathe’s Perfect LB dvd. I really enjoyed it and almost matched Cathe’s weights. Jbliff do you have 40# dumbbells? My heaviest are 35#. I skipped some of the lunges. To me these new DVD weights are just perfect. No endless sets of the same exercise and some new moves. Also previewed Mobility Basics and it looked good.

Vannie your Halloween sounds cold but great! I get a kick out of it too. My DH decorated outdoors and then set out a low table on our bottom step and filled a bowl with ziplock baggies with candy. The kids could just help themselves. It actually worked very well. It was weird not to hear the doorbell ring. My husband Ben estimates we had about 100 kids. Our neighbor I think put candy on tables but also personally greeted some kids. Hope you enjoy your Trick or Treat book. Smile. There are certain food items I just have to keep out of the house.

Cher did you have a nice Halloween? Is it truly cold there yet? Any snow?

Gibbee I have been thinking of you.

Kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 11:24 PM  
Vantreesta

Rowvember challenge day 1 done. I didn't want to bc I waited till after our last walk but I wasn't starting the challenge off missing the first day. My head is killing me so it wasn't very enjoyable.

Karen, wow, you guys had a good turnout too. I did consider doing treat bags but in the end I was too cheap and lazy to buy any. I was laughing at myself this morning as I wondered if it's really the handing out candy I like hearing all the compliments on my decorations and costume.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-02-20, 06:44 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout Sunday was Perfect30 High Impact Hiit + 25 minutes on the elliptical. The HiiT was not my favorite workout of the series -- too many burpees--but it wasn't as bad as I expected, since Cathe alternates between easier and harder moves, and you don't have to do that many burpees at one time.

Karjoy - I have the spinlock dumbbell handles that allow me to attach enough plates to create up to 40-lb dumbbells. I also have 4-lb weighted gloves that I bought when I did STS. The one problem with Perfect30 is when I finish my workout the exercise room looks like a tornado has hit. That's amazing how many kids you got trick or treating. Even when we had kids coming, we never got more than maybe 30-40.

Vannie - Those are cute stories about your mom. I can handle something like Beetlejuice no problem. It's movies like the Shining that do me in.

Hi to Cher and Gibbee. Have a good day, all.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 07:19 AM  
Vantreesta

Well bummer. Just looked at day 2 workout and it's set intervals with different stroke rates. I'm not counting strokes for 30 minutes so I guess I'll just row however I feel. This is what I was afraid of. Oh wait, duh, I can just find one of his 30 minute videos on YT! It doesn't follow the set workout but it will be much more fun than mindless rowing, I think.

JB, it's funny bc I didn't find The Shining scary. Or a lot of people list Psycho and that one wasn't to me either. I don't know why I don't really get scared. My mom and aunt both had to stop watching Criminal Minds bc it was too much for them. I think the one that did scare me was Get Out bc this community seemed like any other you would see anywhere and the horrible things they did make me scared for humanity bc even though it's movie there's too much in it that is real so it's not hard for the mind to believe the next step. I don't know what my favorite horror movie is (I think one of you guys asked). I'm a huge Stephen King fan but some of his movies aren't that great, IMO. But I really like IT, both the old and the new.

Old 11-02-20, 07:24 AM  
Cher

Thursday’s workout was Perfect Pump Upper. Dang she packs a lot into 30 minutes. I did need a little more time between exercises to figure out what weights to grab.

Went up to the cabin Friday morning to help my parents close up the cabin,. No official workouts but Friday my mom and I raked leaves for 3 hours and lugged 14 tarps full of leaves into the woods. Thank goodness my dad was riding the riding lawn mower around the whole time and doing the leaves that way too or we would have never gotten done.

Thank you again everyone for your thoughts, prayers and well wishes for my cousin and my sister. My cousin is still doing okay. My sister has an appointment with a surgeon on Wednesday so we will know more then what is going on.

Vannie, sorry to hear your hip is flaring up again. I love your enthusiasm for Halloween. I NEVER watch horror movies. I’m a big chicken! We have only gotten 2 kids for Trick or Treating for the last 3 years and they are the 2 girls across the street. Since I was going up north and wouldn’t be home, I found a couple cute Halloween bags and filled them up with some packs of snacks and candy and cookies and brought them over to them before I left. So cool that you found that book in your mom’s stuff. When I normally pass out Halloween candy and we have a ton left, I would stash some of my favorites for me too. I think it does help because I always felt like I had to eat all my favorites before DH & DS ate it all and I didn’t get any. Hope your uncle starts feeling well enough to leave the hospital soon. Cases are going up here again too. So glad you have some happy scary movie memories of your mom.

Gibbee, so happy to see you posting. How is your foot doing?

JBliff, Dang you are strong! When I did Pump Upper Body, I only did a couple of the tricep push-ups and stopped, then did only almost one set of tricep dips and called it a day. My arms were fried! On Friday my triceps were sore and then I had to rake leaves! I can’t imagine how my arms would have felt if I did all those tricep exercises.

Karen, I’m enjoying Perfect Pump to thanks to no repeats and not endless reps. We had a small Halloween “party” up north with a few friends up there....mainly my parents, my sister & her BF, and a couple neighbors we’ve been hanging with all summer. It was fun. (DH & DS stayed home). When DS was little and DH worked nights, I used to have to take DS trick or Treating and always left little made up bags of candy on my porch with a note to take one. It worked well and I never ran out of candy. We did get snow on the way home from the cabin yesterday....but crazy Michigan weather, we will have 60’s this weekend for a couple days.
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-20, 09:19 AM  
Vantreesta

Day 2 of Rowvember done. This was supposed to be intervals at different spm but since I don't have a monitor and did not want to count strokes for 30 minutes I did one of his YT videos instead. I'm frustrated though bc I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. This was an intermediate workout, which I am not with rowing, plus I'm really not in shape but Shane was really working and speaking through exertion and my HR maxed at 110 and I never felt like it was hard at all. My HR gets up slightly more with a Leslie walk if I pump it up but this is what it has been like any time I row. I don't know if I'm doing smthg wrong or if it's bc my rower is not the same style. But it irritates me bc I want a good workout and don't feel like I got one.

ETA: after our 2 mi walk I did CLX Burn Circuit 3 and my own stretch.

Old 11-03-20, 06:15 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was Perfect Pump Lower Body + LB Bonus + Extended Stretch. Started a WW 30 Day Plank Challenge so did Day 1 also.

Waves to everyone!
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-20, 07:21 AM  
Vantreesta

Cheryl, we're supposed to be in the 60s this week too. Yesterday afternoon when we walked it was 55. It will be nice for bringing in all my decorations!

I read the rowing workout floor today and it's for distance at specified stroke rates. I guess somehow I will have to try to figure out how long that should take and do another of his YT workouts. Not having a monitor is really detracting from the challenge for me.