Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 10-22-20, 07:25 AM  
Vantreesta

Yesterday was a rough day emotionally but I know it's gonna be that way and I know I will make it through. I'm thankful I had two amazing moms to miss!

I signed up for the new back pain yoga series on DoYou (used to be DoYouYoga). It's offered free this week. I think once you sign up you can access them whenever you want even though they will no longer be offered free after this week but I'm not positive. I've been meaning to get started but hasn't happened yet. Hopefully today.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 10:48 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, I'm sorry you had a rough day. And glad you know you'll make it through! It's such a strange time, even if all the things happening this year with COVID, elections, etc. don't seem to directly affect you, the overall feeling isn't a good one.

Alison, I CANNOT wait until DD can drive! Because they don't go to the neighborhood school, I have to drive both kids there and of course to gymnastics and taekwondo. Next year, DD will be in middle school. If she continues Mandarin (which I hope she does) I may have to drive them to two different schools. I had a little carpool thing going with gymnastics over the summer with a family in our neighborhood but sadly their daughter didn't move up to the next level and DD did, and as far as I know, none of the girls on her team live here.

Yup, still no work for me. And even quieter than last week because we had a daily phone call with our team and I had a couple of others with Coast Guard people. This week my supervisor only scheduled calls Monday and today (at 10 AM AZ time) and I have nothing else yet. So, I'm still just doing a lot of reading.

It's finally cooling off so I'm trying to take a daily walk. I've done Burn workouts the whole week and feel like they'll help. Also still logging. I haven't significantly changed what I eat for meals but am avoiding all the snacking in between and limiting portion sizes. I don't feel like it's making a difference but am holding off until next week to weigh myself!

Still doing PT too.

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-20, 09:43 PM  
Vantreesta

I forgot I actually have smthg to report for the first time in like a week. This morning I did day 1 of the DoYouYoga Anti Back Pain Yoga series. I intended to do more but it never happened. We had rain and freezing rain almost all day so instead of our nice long morning walk I snuggled in on the couch in my robe under a blanket and wrote in my journal.

Pratima, the biggest direct effect I feel like covid has had on me is not being able to grieve and mourn like usual: no service for my mom yet, no hugging and crying with friends. Just all bottled up inside myself it seems.

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 10-23-20, 12:11 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Glad you found the yoga series. I hope you enjoy it. Sending warm hugs your way.

Pratima: I had a great soccer carpool for years but no one from dance lived near us. The years my kids were at different schools were rough, but I made it through.

Me: After a week of Body Beast I can say I like it. Sagi hasn’t made the girly-weight comment again, and I can don’t mind most of this testosterone-fueled comments. I’ve had DOMS everyday so far.

Have a good weekend!
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-20, 06:13 AM  
Vantreesta

I haven't even opened Perfect 30 yet. I hope to download the guide today or tmrw and look over it. I'm thinking about doing in November whatever rotation there is and considering doing the Rowvember challenge Dark Horse Rowing on YouTube has, to row every day of the month. I already know I won't be able to do every day though so can't decide. Plus I haven't rowed in months and wasn't consistent ever so I don't know if I'll get sick of it. Running is off the table right now as my glutes and hamstrings are really flaring up and hurting even with short jogs across the street and just in general. And getting worse, so I gotta get back to lower body PT. Sigh. So far this week on Mon and Tue I did days 2 and 3 of the DYY Anti Back Pain Yoga series and foam rolled Tue and Wed. Going forward for now I will be modifying yoga with props to make sure I am not stretching and irritating my hamstrings. I'm also trying to sit less and hoping our long walks aren't exacerbating anything.

Old 10-29-20, 11:07 AM  
Pratima
Exchange Moderator

Vantreesta, I'm in the same boat. No running for a while for me. Even walking tends to irritate my hip/abs. I'd say set your own goal for rowing and see how it goes. This year, and this time of year, it's kind of a "whatever goes" mentality!

Alison, ugh I should probably set up some carpools for gymnastics. It's tough because as far as I know, none of her current teammates are in our neighborhood. I basically pick the kids up from school, bring them home, and rush DD to the gym about 20 minutes later.

You inspired me to give Body Beast another shot. I know heavy lifting seems to really make a difference these days, so I ordered it from ebay. Probably won't try it for a while though. I'm planning on what I saw Cathe supposedly does--3 or 4 weeks of heavy, one "anything goes" week, then 3-4 weeks of light weights.

The temperature dropped 30 degrees here pretty much overnight. The highs last week were around 95 and this week around 65! It'll warm up over the weekend though.

Sticking with my Burn workouts. I can tell my muscles are shaping up some. Trying to walk as much as I can but it does seem to aggravate my hip/abs.

The PT used a Hypervolt on me Tuesday and I really liked it! I had a massage once where the therapist used it on my back. That was weird, but on my quads it seems to work well. Today she's going to try needling. Apparently there's a spot that just won't release, sort of deep in my back/abs/hip area. She thinks two sessions might help. We shall see!

DISCLOSURE: I have professional relationships with several producers of fitness videos and related products; please see my profile for details.
Pratima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-20, 07:30 AM  
Vantreesta

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!!!! Best day of the year, in my book! I have to admit, though, for some reason this year I am less excited about the trick or treating and still haven't decided on my costume. Maybe it's just the 2020 funk, everything has been so different with our personal stuff and with the world. I am very much enjoying my horror movie indulgences though! By the time I watch all that I have recorded it will be over 100 movies, most if which I'm seeing for the first time!

I can't believe tmrw is November as well as the time change. I better spend some time btwn movies today figuring out my goals and plans for the month! One of which is actually posting and responding to people!

Old 10-31-20, 02:51 PM  
AlisonH
VF Supporter

Vantreesta: Happy Halloween! I hope you have a good evening. I have 45 bundles of candy to give away. We are sitting at the end of our driveway and will have the candy spread out on a table. I don’t know if 45 is enough, but Target already had the Christmas stuff out last night, so I got what could from the small selection of candy they had left.

I finished week 2 of Body Beast. I’m following the Lean Beast calendar. I really do
like it, and I’m doing well with Sagi, again except for his girly weights comment. I’m still doing runs, Peloton rides, and yoga too.

Our Wednesday hillly run is really improving. I can keep up with Jean the whole run, and we’ve cut about 20 seconds off our time this month (2.38 miles, almost none of it flat). Our Sunday runs aren’t really improving, but that’s ok. They’re more for endurance. I think the Wednesday ones are improving cause they’re mid-day, and they release work stress.
AlisonH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-20, 10:31 AM  
Vantreesta

I have always loved Halloween and have very fond memories of trick or treating as kids. We lived on a farm in the country so Mom would drive us into the town where we went to church and we would go to houses there since we knew almost everyone. I think most years we then went the few miles to the town where we got groceries and any other shopping and would stop at my grandparents' house and my great grandma's when she was alive plus the stores. Maybe those memories are part of why I love Halloween so much. Going through my mom's stuff I found one of my very favorite books as a kid, which is called Trick or Treat. We had looked for it before, thinking it was with our stuff but it actually was with her school stuff. I'm so happy to have found it! I plan to read it today since I was too caught up in movies and stuff yesterday.

I have all sorts of thoughts in my head for the month but never got an actual plan laid out so I will be doing that today. I did sign up for Rowvember and got the first workout email today. I was hoping they would be YouTube workouts but they are just written. Fortunately today's is for time. I don't have a monitor on my cheap rower so if he starts doing them for distance it won't be as easy since I'll have to find a way to guesstimate.

I sat outside last night for the trick or treating, about 2 hours (usually more like 3 hours). The temp wasn't too bad but wind was over 20 mph so it was still pretty cold. I ended up having to pop into the house for gloves and then for a blanket and then to swap my sneakers for boots. I had talked to a neighbor and she said they and some others were sitting outside just figuring it would have some less covid risk. I had enough candy for about twice as many kids (ended up with about 140 kids, compared to 220 last year) so we have a lot left. I made myself feel kinda rotten last night from eating so much. I made popcorn to go with my movie so I hate to think how much more candy I would have eaten without that! It was ridiculous, I really was bad as a kid. I have separated out some candy for myself so that hopefully it will help me control myself. Everything is going in the freezer so it won't stare us in the face till it's gone. By having my stash the hope is that I will use it wisely and not feel like I have to eat some NOW before hubby eats it all. I hope this works bc I am at my highest weight and feeling very discouraged about it.

My 80yo great uncle is in the hospital with double pneumonia and his covid test came back positive yesterday. They are treating him with steroids and breathing treatments and he says he is feeling some better. His son has it, daughter-in-law is sick but supposedly negative, daughter tested positive but is asymptomatic. A friend of mine found out her whole family has covid. I wish a magic wand could return us to the way life was in 2019. Well, I wish for a better world than that, but this one is particularly rotten.

Alison, you have me wanting to pull out Body Beast, but I'm gonna try to stick with Perfect 30 for November. How many kids did you end up having? Nice job on improving your running. I am really missing it. Which I guess is ironic since I didn't run much after June even though I wasn't hurting. :eyeroll:

Pratima, did you guys do up the house big for Halloween this year? There weren't many houses I saw in town that were super decorated. Mine was, of course, and I saw probably 3 or 4 others. One made me jealous as they had an amazing cemetery set up in their large yard. Hubby said I had to see it in the dark so I finally remembered on Thursday and Cyric and I hopped in the car after our last walk and went to see it and wandered around a bit looking for more. It was so cool! I have so many ideas for next year already. I had to put a timer on Pinterest bc I was spending way too much (obsessive) time looking at decorating ideas!

Old 11-01-20, 11:21 PM  
Vantreesta

Rowvember challenge day 1 done. I didn't want to bc I waited till after our last walk but I wasn't starting the challenge off missing the first day. My head is killing me so it wasn't very enjoyable.