Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-18-20, 09:23 AM  
Vantreesta

Thanks for understanding, Helen. I'm having a rough week emotionally and it seems I just can't get myself on track. So maybe I won't push the double up today and do it Saturday when I have more time. These cookies have to be baked and frosted by noon on Friday.

Thank you so much for listing the equipment used! My bench is buried so now I can get it out first and not waste time during the workout. My hamstrings seem okay so far today (although I did just get up) so hopefully I don't have to modify.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-20, 12:32 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyO View Post
My hammy/butt is still an issue plus my achilles tendon has been bothering me of late, so I searched yoga channels on youtube for feet/ankles/calves and found The Yoga Ranger Studio with Aprille Walker Yoga for Lower Legs, Feet, Calves & Ankles. My upper middle back has also been tight probably from hiking at Northwest looking down not to trip on all the roots, so I tried two of her back classes. She is fine, but I doubt I'll do more of her classes, as they are pretty much like every other online class. The big win was the calf smash in the lower leg class. Roll up a blanket or towel, place it near the back of the knee crease, then sit on your shins. This puts a lot of pressure on the calves. Lower an inch and repeat...all the way down to the base of the heel. She said when you can tolerate it, try a wooden dowel inside the towel for a more intense smash. I have a broomstick in a Foam Pipe Insulation, so I was ready for business. I found sitting relaxing was good, but shifting my hips side to side got a good cross friction massage. The holding a kettlebell in my lap made it all even more intense. I'll either fix my tight calves or make them worse, but I'm always hopeful I found the silver bullet.

Sandy O
Thanks for the calf smash description, Sandy! I just tried it with my narrow foam roller. I didn't realize my calves were so tight! This roller is still a little big but I've got other options. And since it's basically pretty much sitting I can easily do this while playing with Cyric. Yay!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Old 11-18-20, 02:06 PM  
Vantreesta

All Out Low Impact HIIT plus core done. I had to modify a lot again and sometimes I didn't even use the discs bc I'm too scared of losing control on them and sliding out and hurting myself. On a different week maybe I would be braver but this is just not a good week. But I did the whole thing despite wanting to give up after the floor cardio so that's a win. My quads were on fire by the end of the warmup. I have got to remember than even what she calls an extended stretch is nowhere near enough for me after weights. That being said, until Thanksgiving is over I think all I'm doing is the Cathe workouts plus stretch, partly bc of time and partly bc I'm just so out of shape! Now I have less than an hour to shower and eat lunch before my chiro appt. Ack!

Old 11-18-20, 02:14 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
5 batches of biscuits is a LOT!!

:
And they're all cutouts or shaped and have to be frosted, glazed or drizzled with chocolate! I wish she had asked a week or two earlier to give me more time. But it's my own fault for agreeing to have them done by Friday so no one to blame but myself.

Old 11-19-20, 05:42 AM  
Helen

So not JUST biscuits, but FANCY biscuits!! My brow is knitted at the effort that entailed.

Thursday: Cardio Leg Blast DONE
The equipment list on the vid doesn't say exactly WHAT weights she uses, but they're given at the beginning of the chapters so I had to skip through to get them all laid out - adjustables with plate-weights in the mix. Having that bit of a preview, I admit I went into dread mode and procrastinated for an hour or so.

But I did it - and MATCHED weights! Used 10" step until Cedie lowered hers to 8" and I did as well. It was NOT as nasty as it looked.
Weights (D-bells in lb): 8, 12, 15, 20, 25, firewalker loop, 10" step to start, option for 8" later on for cardio
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-20, 09:04 AM  
Vantreesta

Nice job matching Cathe, Helen! You are rockin' it!! Procrastinating sounds like my gig! I'm actually looking forward to upper body today to give my lower body a break. I just got up and stretched a little and my abs are sore. Yay!

Old 11-19-20, 02:42 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
5 batches of biscuits is a LOT!!
Don't beat yourself up about it - if you end up sitting a day (or a few days) behind, we're still doing it together, just a tad out of synch.
And I know I'm REALLY BAD at rotas, so I expect it'll be my turn to miss a day at some stage too - swings & roundabout.

Wed., 18th Nov.
30min, Pump - Upper Body (main workout only)

LOTS of equipment! See weights below + tubing + bench flat & incline
She totally slayed me with the weights she used - up to 35lb D-bells.
And her equipment list doesn't include the 1.5kg (3lb) used in the warmup.

I actually USED these (may save you some setup time), in pounds
3, 5.5, 9, 11, 13, & 18.
Could have gone heavier than the 18 on One-Arm rows but that's my heaviest D-bell & didn't setup any adjustables with heavier weights - will know next time.

Cathe uses:
3, 5, 10, 12, 15, 20, 25, 30, 35

35 was One-Arm Row, & 30lb for Bicep Curls
Pump Upper Body done. I can't even imagine 30 lbs for biceps curls! I used 1-20 lbs. I didn't have to modify anything but there was no way I could do all the triceps dips. My arms were fried! I did manage all reps on the third set of that but not the first two sets. And I didn't use a weight and my legs were so close in to my body. My mood is less weepy today and I enjoyed the workout. I did day 9 of the Qi Gong challenge first and after Pump I did Tamilee's floor stretch.

Off to eat some lunch before decorating cookies. I am starving!

Old 11-20-20, 05:59 PM  
Vantreesta

Unfortunately, a workout is not happening again today. It was almost 3 when I got home from socially distanced garage lunch with friends and then I walked Cyric and cleaned up my cookie mess. I am just beat today! So I'm watching a movie and attempting to smother Cyric who is apparently saying too little, too late, Mom! More restrictions go into effect tonight as covid cases are still rising.

Old 11-20-20, 06:40 PM  
Helen

Just get to it when you can.

Friday - sloth-night, Rota only had stretch + abs but still, it was sloth-night. So I missed one as well. Will do it shortly (Saturday morning), and get back on schedule with today's by doing it tonight.
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

¹ Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-20, 08:25 PM  
Vantreesta

Helen, I hate to admit it but I was hoping you'd do Friday sloth-night!