Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 11-04-20, 08:44 PM  
Vantreesta

I never did end up getting in a formal workout today. Cyric and I walked a couple miles then I took my car in to the shop and walked 2 1/2 miles while I waited. Ran a couple errands then came home and really dug into undecorating before I had grief group tonight. Tmrw the truck goes in for an oil change so I'll get in another good walk after the morning one with Cyric. I don't think I have any more errands so the plan is to workout when I get home. I've decided I'm not going to try doubling up if I miss a day (or more) of rowing, I'm just going to try to get through 30 days as soon as I can (meaning not missing for no reason).
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 07:13 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was Perfect Flow Strength & Flexibility (about 25 mins then quit). It was just okay to me but then again, I was worrying about my sister’s appt so that could have been part of my problem....I didn’t feel like doing anything in the first place. Also did WW Plank Challenge Day 3 and went for about a 30 minute walk in the afternoon.

My sister’s appointment went well I guess (if what they want to do works). They have some new type of pin point radiation they are going to try. They are the only hospital around here that has it. My sister’s worry is that she had radiation when she first had cancer before and when she was going to a different doctor and when she started going to this hospital, her doctor at this told her radiation didn’t work for kidney cancer. (This is the doctor that just retired in June). Anyway, these doctors told her they brought this there in 2015 (her cancer was before that). They said they have had good results with her kind of cancer (90+%) and side effects are rare. Also she only has to get 3 treatments and it’s all in one week. So, it sounds positive so let’s hope it helps.

Vannie - My cousin showed some improvement then back slides again. At least he hasn’t gotten to where he doesn’t know anyone again. Good job getting a walk in while waiting for your car.

JBliff - How cool that you can match Cathe’s weights on upper body. I’m far from that! Lol
Cher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-20, 07:45 AM  
JBliff

Hi all. My workout yesterday was 30 minutes on the elliptical + Perfect30 Yoga Strength & Flexibility. I had very little sleep the night before so I had zero energy for anything for strenuous.

Cher - I hope the proposed treatment for your sister works well. It sounds good based on what the doctor says. I hope your cousin's condition improves.

Vannie - I noticed you've been walking a lot. Are your glutes and hamstring all better?

I've been having a horrible time sleeping lately. I know we've all been struggling with that at some point in time. Has anyone come up with a strategy to get a good night's sleep?

Have a good day, everyone.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 07:55 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was LITE Cardio Party Calorie Crush premix and Perfect Pump Upper Chest & Tricep premix and bonus chest exercise then still had some time left so did the shoulder section too. Also did WW Plank Challenge Day 4 later in the day.

JBliff - I haven’t slept good in years. I usually fall asleep quick when I go to bed, than wake-up a few hours later. Sometimes I fall right back to sleep, other times I don’t. Sometimes I keep waking up a bunch of times. Last night I woke at midnight then again around 2 am and was awake until 4:30 then slept until 6:00. So annoying. My mom gave me some pills called Midnight. (It’s basically melatonin). You take them when you wake up during the night. (It says to have 4 hours of sleep time left). I have never felt groggy in the morning after taking one. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Last night was a not. I also downloaded the insight Timer app and try to listen to a sleep meditation. Again sometimes they help and sometimes they don’t. Wednesday night that worked, last night that didn’t work either.
Old 11-06-20, 10:24 AM  
JBliff

My workout yesterday was LITE PHA 2 + core.

Cher
- You sound just like me, sleep-wise. I usually fall asleep relatively quickly and then wake up a couple of hours later and (very rarely) go back to sleep or just get up. For example, I've been up since 2:12 a.m. today! I find if I take a Tylenol or Benadryl before I go to bed, I can pretty much sleep through the night. However I would like not to rely on chemical means. I've heard about melatonin too but again worry about taking medication to sleep.

Hi to everyone. Have a good day.
JBliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-20, 05:34 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Thumbs up

Hi guys. Sorry I missed the past couple days. It’s been a busy and some what confusing week. I’m resting today.

We had some employees with Covid so we were short staffed for a while but things are looking better now. I still feel a little angry that they did not properly mask as they should have, possibly endangering patients. Of course they are doing better now and we also have a set in stone policy that masks must be worn at all times except when eating or drinking. And they’re young and still think they’re immortal! I’m lucky that my office is away from where most of them sit.

Seems like we have more patients testing + for Covid now too.

Cher and Jbliff I’ve been doing some early morning awakening too. Sigh. Jbliff I try not to take sleep meds too. I repeat a mantra to help me go back to sleep and it always works but may take a while. Sleep is so complex!

Cher even some of our neurologists recommend Melatonin so I suspect it is pretty safe. But it does not work for everyone. Cancer treatment changes so much and so rapidly that this new way of delivering radiation may be very effective. I hope it helps her if she decides to do it. Scientists just keep outsmarting cancer it seems. There is always something new.

Vannie I was thinking about running versus rowing. For one thing, most runners take about 160-180 steps a minute and you usually only do about 30 strokes a minute when rowing. And with running you’re basically doing bunches of tiny jumps and you are lifting your body weight each time. I read bits of that a while ago. I still think rowing is a great exercise since it works all
Muscle groups. It can get boring though.

I am gonna check out the Cathe Virtual road trip.

Oh Jbliff and Cher here is a good helpful hint for when you wake up in the middle of the night. Don’t look at the clock! Now if you get up, walk around, go watch TV or something you can look at the time. But if you plan to lay there and try to go to sleep don’t at the time. That wakes you up and starts that thinking process:
“OMG it’s 3:30 and I have to get some sleep!” Then the old brain starts whirling and you’re off to the races. Been there...

Gibbee thinking of you today, kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 01:58 AM  
Vantreesta

Cheryl, continued prayers for your cousin and sister. Hopefully the treatment will be successful.

JB, we usually walk a lot, I just don't generally report it. After 3 walks a day almost every day for the past 15 or so years I don't always think about it! Unfortunately, my glutes and hamstrings are still hurting but sitting is the worst and as long as I keep my posture and stride in check, walking doesn't seem to bother me, unlike running.

Karen, sorry about the covid-sick coworkers. Hopefully people will start following policy now. I kept looking at rowers tonight and hubby finally asked where I would put another machine. I said I'd have to give up the rower I have and put it there. I think he was shaking his head at me and I said all I really need is the monitor. In all my looking though I saw my same rower listed for sale on the Stamina website. When I first got the rower I had emailed the company and asked about ordering a replacement monitor for my used rower and they said the part wasn't made anymore due to the age of the equipment. So I found that email and replied tonight saying it was listed for sale now, is it being made again, I REALLY need a monitor! I doubt it will get me anywhere but doesn't hurt to ask. It's listed on Amazon for $300. I got mine for $30!

Sleep--I used to sleep so good when I was younger and took it for granted. I still sleep so hard it can be tough to wake me (I don't hear Cyric bark at night, didn't hear the smoke detector chirping right outside our bedroom) but I don't sleep as good as I used to. I drink chamomile tea nearly every night and take a melatonin gummy, two Valerian root and a med for my RLS. The med has made a big difference for me but I still need the other supplements and tea. I sleep better with all that but still not like I used to. And some nights nothing helps. I also love my weighted blanket and couldn't wait for it to cool off enough to be able to use it again. I keep intending to start a bedtime ritual to see if it helps but I just can't seem to tear myself from the TV. Part of my problem is our last walk is around 8 PM and it often wakes me out of sleepiness.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-20, 07:35 AM  
Cher

Workout yesterday was IDTV The Complete Practice with Lauren. Basically about 20 minutes of Vinyasa Flow (which had a pretty hard balance sequence), 15 minutes of Yin Yoga and a few minutes of restorative yoga which were both nice. Later in the afternoon I went for about a 30 minute walk. I’m really enjoying these temps in the 60’s for November. I think we only have a couple more days left. Also did WW Plank Challenge Day 5.

My sister has an appointment next Friday (the 13th which is freaking her out). This is for the pre-radiation scans that they will use for the radiation. My cousin is not doing well. He now has fluid in his lungs.

JBliff - I get what you mean about not wanting to take any kind of chemical means. I rarely do take anything for that reason too.

Karen - Covid cases are definitely on the rise again here. Ugh. I totally agree with what you said about not looking at the clock. I try to do that and i think it does sometimes help you fall back to sleep.

Vannie - I want to try Travis’s Sleep Yin program but, like you, I can’t get myself off the couch and from the tv to do it before bed,
Old 11-07-20, 09:31 PM  
karjoy
VF Supporter

Hi all. Quick post. 4 of us did an 8 mile run this am. It was cloudy so stayed cool enough for relative comfort.

Vannie great job getting all those walks in daily. Hey I have a friend who rows for a local crew club. They seem to have lots of fun.

Cher sending prayers for your sister and cousin. I am impressed with your Yoga practice.

Jbliff hope you are having a good weekend.

Gibbee I really enjoyed all of Darell’s pictures on your You Tube tribute.

Night all, kareng
karjoy is offline   Reply With Quote