Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-16-14, 07:25 PM  
iheartsts

Insanity. Ended up tweaking my knees and had to baby them for a couple months afterward. It was after that that I really started to realize that modifying is not such a bad thing...
Old 12-16-14, 08:19 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliepie View Post
To me, there are two types of dread-factor workout:

1. You're terrified of doing the workout but you do it anyway
2. You were SO terrified of doing the workout that you ended up getting rid of it altogether
3. "Something in it is Annoying." even though others might like it, you might not.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 08:23 PM  
woodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
Ditto
Yep!!!

New Butisattva

woodie
woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 08:35 PM  
sunday

I seem to dread any workout that has, what is to me, endless repetition of something, whether is be cardio or toning moves.

Right now what comes to mind is any and all basic cardio as well as TA's Meta and Tonique. Ugh. I've realized that I do best with workouts that flow from one move to another without overdoing any one thing.
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 08:50 PM  
Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzar View Post
3. "Something in it is Annoying." even though others might like it, you might not.
Mari Winsor saying "tweeze your buttocks" It is the only system I acquired got rid of, reaquired and got rid of again.
Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 10:39 PM  
TinierTina

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
I seem to dread any workout that has, what is to me, endless repetition of something, whether is be cardio or toning moves.

Right now what comes to mind is any and all basic cardio as well as TA's Meta and Tonique. Ugh. I've realized that I do best with workouts that flow from one move to another without overdoing any one thing.
Yeah, I can even do TIFFTING, even now, as long as there are not a whole lot of TIFFTINGs done by virtue of repetitive drilling of one move seemingly forever, without moving on (seemingly at the instructor's whim)... This is in some belly dance instruction dvds--it is like hearing the same stuck note from a badly scratched music CD ... Let it be all drills, if that is the case ... !

To Leilainia, you taught me how to belly dance in the first place. So, now I'm gonna either not do your workout or mash you up!

-Bettina

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you"?! REALLY!! If it doesn't serve me, it doesn't save me!!
TinierTina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 11:06 PM  
dela

Insanity for sure, I made it one week into the rotation, each day was forcing myself to do it, I guess I thought I might learn to like it, I did not.

Since then, I rarely if ever get through a full workout if I am not enjoying it. I will give things a second chance in case it was really more my mood than the workout.
dela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 11:13 PM  
Taramisu
VF Supporter

I would have to say, Cathe's Muscle Endurance because of the endless squats, low ends and that super long set of bicep curls.

But for me the #1 dread factor workout was Firm Standing Legs, I have tried most Firms and have liked most of them, some more than others. That is the only Firm workout that I truly couldn't stand. Major lower body overkill, no thank you.

Needless to say, anything with a dread factor is no longer in my house, both of those workouts were history long ago.
Taramisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 01:40 AM  
deineira

Repetition is always what causes me dread...so, Tonique, Meta, Insanity, etc. I llike variety. Rotations with a lot of repetition (like the XTrain 90 day rotation) will also make me bonkers.
deineira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 06:15 AM  
bubbles76

Just got reminded of another one --bootcamp workouts that have a basic training schtick. Like calling people soldier, calling your workout a "mission", going on about how people in bootcamp "don't quit", the oh so adorable pink BDU's that are useless in real basic, etc. So glad Amy Bento and Cathe didn't go on and on like that in their bootcamp inspired workouts.

Maybe it's more of a supreme annoyance than a dread
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dread factor, joni o