Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-14, 07:09 AM  
PhyllisG

DDP Yoga

I just watched their infomercial and was tempted. I liked UY but after doing it for I while I just didn't want an hour long yoga practice. I searched for comments here but I couldn't find them. would love to hear from those that either love it or not. I know there are fans here.
Thanks for any thoughts.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 07:46 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

It's a solid strength based program. I did the rotation a year ago and really liked it. There are lots of modifications, DDP is encouraging, and you get crazy strong.

I think that the genius behind DDPY is how well it builds upon itself. It just progresses nicely from beginner to more difficult workouts.

There's been a lot of discussion on VF about DDPY. Personally I wish he would have included recovery workouts or stretches so that is something you may want to modify with the workouts. Also, there's a lot of time spent in lunges up on the ball of your foot which can be irritating for anyone with foot and ankle issues. Easily modifiable.

I love the length of these workouts. Like I mentioned, I did the rotation last year starting in November and I think I was still doing them last May. There was even a DDPY check in for a while.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 09:17 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Just set my DVR to record the infomercial tomorrow morning. I've been wishing I liked yoga because I think I really need it. I have one DDP DVD that a friend gave me to try a while back. I didn't give it a fair shot. I'm going t try it again. Thanks for the inspiration!
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 09:27 AM  
eam531
VF Supporter

I agree with Jackie. DDPY is a well-designed exercise program that mixes yoga postures, body weight exercises and physical therapy exercises. You will build strength for sure, and improve your balance. If you are inflexible your flexibility will improve. Despite the "yoga for bros" aura, DDP is a darned good teacher--very motivating and very good in front of the camera, as one would expect. He has a very big personality and a loud voice, but there is not a drill sergeant vibe. The background exercisers are all people who have gone thru the program--that is, not professional fitness models. I like seeing real people in exercise videos. There are several women background exercisers, one very large man, and a guy who is 60 years old--a range of genders, ages, and body types.

One really good thing about this program is that in terms of time, it is quite do-able. The workouts range from 20 minutes to 65 minutes and they require no equipment other than a mat and a heart rate monitor (if you want to use the program for cardio, which I don't). The majority of the workouts are around 30-40 minutes. The program is very well designed--if someone is a complete beginner, it starts very gently and gradually ramps up in intensity. If you already have a background in yoga, you can jump in at the intermediate or advanced levels.

To get the results that some people have gotten (like Arthur Boorman, whose YouTube video of his complete turnaround thanks to DDPY went viral), there is a definitely dietary element. The exercises alone will not be enough for significant weight loss, and this is spelled out in the guide that accompanies the program.

I don't use DDPY as a pure rotation, and I don't do the dynamic tension element. It will jack up your heart rate if done consistently throughout the workouts, but I found that the dynamic tension was making my neck and traps very sore and tight. Like DDP says, "make the workouts your own", so I do. I'm really glad I got the set; I use the workouts a lot and enjoy them.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.

Last edited by eam531; 12-16-14 at 09:31 AM. Reason: info about background exercisers
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 09:35 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I've just been watching some very positive reviews on YouTube.

ETA: And on sale!

http://ddpyoga.com
Old 12-16-14, 01:57 PM  
Lilypad

OH! What time and channel for the informercial????
Lilypad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 05:26 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

I did a search and found it on at 5:30 am CST on the FYI channel. I have no idea what that is.
Old 12-17-14, 12:00 AM  
lizh

Is that a good price? I'm tempted to buy this for my husband for xmas. (then I can borrow it!)
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:01 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Watching the infomercial now. I find it really sad that it's all about how much weight you can lose - same as every other infomercial. He talks about how it improves your life, yet all the testimonials are from people who lost 100+ pounds. Maybe it will get better. I ordered this yesterday, before watching the infomercial. I like a calm, soothing voice when I'm doing a stretch workout. We'll see how I like this.

I thought the price was good. Regular $119.99 for $79.99 for the Max Pack. Bummer. I see it's free shipping in the infomercial. I'm paying $6.15. That's not bad, though.
Old 12-17-14, 09:51 AM  
JackieB
VF Supporter

Joni I bet you can get the s/h refunded if you call or email customer service. You could say you were just watching the infomercial and want the free shipping special.

Also, wanted to mention that is totally not a stretch workout. 100% strength based yoga.

Certified Essentrics Instructor, Level 4---February 2017
Yoga Tune Up Roll Model Method Practitioner---December 2021

"Movement is a privilege. You don't have to exercise. You get to exercise. Visit a person whose mobility is severely limited, and you'll appreciate the distinction. Do what you can, count yourself lucky, heal yourself in the process." Essentrics Colorado
JackieB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ddp, ddp yoga