Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-14, 06:33 PM  
mizach
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Has anyone heard of James D Silva's Garuda DVDs? Apparently he has a studio in London and has produced 6 DVDs of his method - a mix of yoga, pilates and dance. There are several clips on his web site: http://www.thegaruda.net/video-gallery/

I like the DVDs he made with Trudie Styler and these look like the next step. The barre one looks especially wonderful to me. Very, very tempted!
I have one DVD he made with Trudie Styler and like that one. In fact, I have all the Trudie Styler DVDs on my wish list after doing that one workout this week. It was fantastic!

I will check those DVDs out.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 08:33 PM  
sunday

About four years ago this winter I was on a daily Trudy/James kick; I rotated all of the dvds and got really nice results. I LOVED those!!!!! I was losing my major weight at the time and I felt it really complimented what I was doing. I always kept hoping he made more dvds!!
sunday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 10:23 PM  
dnna

there is a Garuda studio in New Jersey. I found this on Facebook:
A new exercise system developed in London, England has made its way to New Jersey.
Pilates and Company in Highland Park is the first location in the country to offer Garuda.
The owners say Garuda incorporates the athleticism of dance, the breathe pattern of yoga, the flow of tai chi and the discipline of pilates.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-14, 10:25 PM  
dnna

http://www.pilatesandcompany.com/#!g...aruda-nj/c10tt

I sent them an email asking if they carried the dvds and the foam roller. I will post their response as soon as I get it,
I am wanting the chair dvd very very much ( lol) well all of them but I know the chair dvd would be a good doable workout of rme, the others might be beyond my range but wow!! how wonderful would it be to be able to move like that---

donna

here is the only Garuda studio in Canada:http://taylor-dpilates.com/home.html

Last edited by dnna; 12-09-14 at 10:34 PM. Reason: added more info
Old 12-10-14, 12:20 AM  
Sinclair

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzie View Post
Hmm... My understanding of "follow along" versus "instructional" is that the former is more like a class with little/no stop to show you what to do. Given James' attention to form I can't imagine that this is like TA with no cueing at all (??)
I sent another email - hopefully I'll hear back in a few hours. I would love a voiceover (much better than the stop and go instruction style) and that's what I hope they have but after his reply I'm not sure they have any cues - I really hope they do though. I will report back.
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 03:10 AM  
Sinclair

Okay, I heard back already!

Yes of course there is a voice over !

Amazing! Now these are on the top of my wishlist!
I guess I'll get one of the Seated Matworks first (I really want the second one not the foundation one but maybe I should start with that? Hm) and the Standing Matwork. Something to work up to definitely. Decisions, decisions.
The Barre one looks sooo good but alas I have no Barre
The Dhara one is tempting as well but I'm not sure I have the right chair for it.

ETA: Just ordered Seated Foundation Matwork! Shipping was really cheap... I thought they might send another invoice to cover it (it was only 2.50 pounds) but so far I only got a confirmation von James and he told me it would ship today.
All in all it's still the most expensive single dvd I've ever ordered - 36€! Still, If I like it I'm going to order some more
Sinclair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 06:36 AM  
samantha-kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
http://www.pilatesandcompany.com/#!g...aruda-nj/c10tt

I sent them an email asking if they carried the dvds and the foam roller. I will post their response as soon as I get it,
I am wanting the chair dvd very very much ( lol) well all of them but I know the chair dvd would be a good doable workout of rme, the others might be beyond my range but wow!! how wonderful would it be to be able to move like that---

donna

here is the only Garuda studio in Canada:http://taylor-dpilates.com/home.html
donna,

The Trudie Styler's Weight Loss Yoga dvd with James has a 35 minute chair yoga practice. Mary doesn't seem to have it in stock anymore, but Amazon still carries it.

I have never done that section and now am thinking about sneaking this into work and closing my door mid-day.
samantha-kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 06:57 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I agree these videos look terrific!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunday View Post
About four years ago this winter I was on a daily Trudy/James kick; I rotated all of the dvds and got really nice results. I LOVED those!!!!! I was losing my major weight at the time and I felt it really complimented what I was doing. I always kept hoping he made more dvds!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by samantha-kitty View Post
The Trudie Styler's Weight Loss Yoga dvd with James has a 35 minute chair yoga practice. Mary doesn't seem to have it in stock anymore, but Amazon still carries it.
I have one of the Trudie Styler/James D'Silva compilations (Pure Sculpt) and I just ordered the rest as used DVDs from Amazon for very little money and since I had an Amazon certificate they were practically free.
Maybe not the same as his new batch, but good enough to get (re)acquainted with his style. And hey, I LOVE that Tuscan estate setting!!!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-14, 08:36 AM  
dnna

they have the dvds and foam rollers at the New Jersey pilates studio.no price listed in the email but I will email again, also teacher training in NJ:

We are conducting Teacher Training for Matwork Foundations and Barre April 6-12, 2015 in NJ. James D’Silva will be leading the training this session. We are also offering a special Integration day where we will review material, how to integrate into your studio, as well as pre-choreographed classes that you can integrate right away.

Cindy
Pilates & Company
Old 12-10-14, 08:41 AM  
sherry7899

There is a VF'er who lives not far from the studio-I will let her know about it . I am in NJ, but not near that particular area.

Sherry

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
james d'silva, trudie styler