Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-14, 08:02 PM  
cristinalatina

JB Berns Isometric workout

I just previewed JB Berns Isometric workout and would like to start a thread about isometric exercise, as well as a brief review.

I expect to use a lot this dvd once I get some time to exercise again! There's 7 segments of about 20 mins each according to body part. I was very impressed by a few things. First, JB has you massage the area you're about to work as a warmup. He says it brings blood to the area better than marching in place. Looks silly but must be very enjoyable.

The abs segment was the one I was most interested with, it's all standing and very unique, engaging the entire core by curving the spine in different directions. There's a total of 10 exercises in each segment. The legs remind me of barre work plus a little of Essentrics, that stretching and flexing to work the thigh.

The arms was the least inspiring because theres a lot of exercises that resemble what you'd do with a weight in your hand minus the weight. In all fairness he gives great form pointers, such as how to rotate your knuckles to intensify the exercise. Also, there's a few exercises for forearms that would be great for people who work on computers all day.

Production value is mediocre. Also, in one segment JB's penis was visible through his outfit I don't mind but just mentioning it in case someone would. I find him a flawless instructor and his exercises very interesting. I plan to try it soon, and think it could make a great travel workout.

Anyone's tried this one and care to offer any other opinions?

Any other isometric workouts you'd recommend?

Just love this type of workout!
Old 12-17-14, 07:58 AM  
shawnt

Is this one the same as the Freedom Exercise System?

If so, I received it by mistake when I tried to order his Rehab DVDs from an Amazon Marketplace seller and got these instead. I probably should have contacted the seller to let him know that the DVDs are NOT the same... but they weren't expensive so I decided to keep them.

I've done 4 of the 7 DVDs. It's a great idea, in concept, but I didn't feel like the exercises were effective. He asks his two background exercisers if they can "feel the burn" or something like that, and they always say yes. But my answer was always "no." sigh The only DVD that I liked was the stretch one.

Sorry that I don't have any other isometric-focused DVDs to recommend.
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:07 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I had that JB Berns isometric one and it was just too boring. I love his Rehab one.

DDP Yoga uses isometric work along with yoga poses. Diamond Dallas Page is never boring.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:49 AM  
TamiT

I agree, Diamond Dallas Page is great. He is motivational, entertaining and I like his way of exercise.
TamiT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 10:58 AM  
horsemom2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage VFer View Post
I had that JB Berns isometric one and it was just too boring. I love his Rehab one.

DDP Yoga uses isometric work along with yoga poses. Diamond Dallas Page is never boring.
+1 about JB's
(not into yoga)

Barb S
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 04:35 PM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnt View Post
Is this one the same as the Freedom Exercise System?

If so, I received it by mistake when I tried to order his Rehab DVDs from an Amazon Marketplace seller and got these instead. I probably should have contacted the seller to let him know that the DVDs are NOT the same... but they weren't expensive so I decided to keep them.

I've done 4 of the 7 DVDs. It's a great idea, in concept, but I didn't feel like the exercises were effective. He asks his two background exercisers if they can "feel the burn" or something like that, and they always say yes. But my answer was always "no." sigh The only DVD that I liked was the stretch one.

Sorry that I don't have any other isometric-focused DVDs to recommend.
I think this is the workout Cristina meant: amazon.com/The-Isometric-Total-Body-Workout/dp/B002IBUB0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418851396&sr=8-1&keywords=isometric+total+body+workout+dvd

Isometrics in general isn't my favorite technique. I find it stressful. But I'm so intrigued by Cristina's description of the standing abs section, I may cave in and buy the workout. Love standing abs! For arms toning, I'd probably just go ahead and use weights--which is what I do with some of JB's Rehab Your Body at Home shoulder exercises.
marya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 05:22 PM  
shawnt

Thanks, Marya. I didn't know that there was a single DVD with these exercises.

I suspect strongly that they are the same material, just packaged differently. As I understand it, Rehab Your Body At Home was first put out on separate DVDs and called the Freedom Restoration System. So it would make sense that this Isometric workout was originally called the Freedom Exercise System (which is what I got by mistake). They also sound remarkably like the description that the OP gave.

I guess I'll know for sure if I see the same wardrobe "malfunction" when I finish doing them. I've done four of the seven workouts, so it's possible it's on one of the other three. (yikes)
shawnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 07:08 PM  
cristinalatina

Quote:
Originally Posted by marya View Post
I think this is the workout Cristina meant: amazon.com/The-Isometric-Total-Body-Workout/dp/B002IBUB0S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1418851396&sr=8-1&keywords=isometric+total+body+workout+dvd

Isometrics in general isn't my favorite technique. I find it stressful. But I'm so intrigued by Cristina's description of the standing abs section, I may cave in and buy the workout. Love standing abs! For arms toning, I'd probably just go ahead and use weights--which is what I do with some of JB's Rehab Your Body at Home shoulder exercises.
Don't get it, hun. I tried it today and it just wasn't intense like Tracy Anderson standing abs, or T-Tapp Tempo Torso. I also couldn't stand the techno music of the actual workout (had previewed the tutorial only). Thumbs down unfortunately although it did look interesting...
Old 12-17-14, 11:24 PM  
Jennifer R
VF Supporter

I didn't want to be a downer but I am SO allergic to JB. I've tried a number of his workouts but just can't get past his persona. Plus, they were boring to me.

"I used to be disgusted, now I try to be amused"--Elvis Costello
Jennifer R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-14, 01:22 AM  
marya

Quote:
Originally Posted by cristinalatina View Post
Don't get it, hun. I tried it today and it just wasn't intense like Tracy Anderson standing abs, or T-Tapp Tempo Torso. I also couldn't stand the techno music of the actual workout (had previewed the tutorial only). Thumbs down unfortunately although it did look interesting...
Thanks for the heads up, Cristina. I'll refrain from purchasing unless it shows up in a thrift store.

The techno music in Rehab Your Body is annoying, too. And JB desperately needs a new set designer (and a new wardrobe consultant too, I guess ).
marya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dynametrics, isometric, jb berns