Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-16-14, 03:20 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

GPSs for outdoor activities

Hey all, my husband really needs a new hand held gps. The one we have doesn't always track and is losing time and distance. This will be used in the backcountry during hiking, snow shoeing and mountaineering.

He says not to get him one because by the time you add in the maps (which he says don't come with the gps) they are much too expensive. He wants one with maps, not a watch (which I don't get- what good is a gps you can't see?).

I've don't a little looking but first you have to research the unit, find a few you like, see what maps they take and research those.

Or you can ask around. Anyone researched these lately and have recommendations or pointers to web sites that have good discussions. While I use my phone for this on close in mountains, reception is spotty in many parts of the country and the mountains in particular.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-14, 08:32 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Good luck finding what he wants, Lynn!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 07:58 PM  
stacydan

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s=handheld+gps

A few years ago I got both my husband and my oldest son a Garmin handheld gps, they use it for geocaching. I can't remember the model number, I just remember that I got my husband a pretty expensive one, and my son a few models below his. I think it was eTrex.
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-14, 09:22 PM  
andtckrtoo

Asking my daughter who works for the USGS and uses a GPS daily to mark locations. But I believe she uses a typical hand held Garmin like Stacy recommended. The newer ones are better under the trees.

But honestly, GPS's are technology and technology fails. There is nothing like a good map and compass and the ability to use them. You are less likely to get lost if you actually know where you are. I believe REI offers good compass and map reading classes. I've done search and rescue and we used GPSs for back up.

Another idea from my daughter: http://www.findmespot.com/en/ It can send a distress signal to help rescuers locate you and even will send a signal to your loved ones to let them know you are okay.
Old 12-18-14, 12:34 AM  
LynnO
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post
Asking my daughter who works for the USGS and uses a GPS daily to mark locations. But I believe she uses a typical hand held Garmin like Stacy recommended. The newer ones are better under the trees.

But honestly, GPS's are technology and technology fails. There is nothing like a good map and compass and the ability to use them. You are less likely to get lost if you actually know where you are. I believe REI offers good compass and map reading classes. I've done search and rescue and we used GPSs for back up.

Another idea from my daughter: http://www.findmespot.com/en/ It can send a distress signal to help rescuers locate you and even will send a signal to your loved ones to let them know you are okay.
Thanks Christine. I don't believe my husband ever uses a gps instead of a map, nor will he trust the gps over the map. He is using it some for navigation, but not into the unknown and I'm guessing for altitude and distance on trails. And for fun. Even when he is mountaineering he has a good idea of how to get back to where he/we started.
LynnO is offline   Reply With Quote