Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-12-22, 12:36 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Eventmom I did order a thred up kit but one of the things they said was that clothes needed to be less than 5 years old. Pretty much everything I've hung on to is at least that old. Very nice things, tried on but not worn because they "sort of" fit so even older, pretty much new. I'm guessing they don't want things considered outdated. Have you had experience with them on this? Also, do they mind if some things are slightly wrinkled? I'm making a good dent in my closet and some drawers, just not sure if I should try the Thred up route or donate to local thrift. Thank you!

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 01:14 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Eventmom I did order a thred up kit but one of the things they said was that clothes needed to be less than 5 years old. Pretty much everything I've hung on to is at least that old. Very nice things, tried on but not worn because they "sort of" fit so even older, pretty much new. I'm guessing they don't want things considered outdated. Have you had experience with them on this? Also, do they mind if some things are slightly wrinkled? I'm making a good dent in my closet and some drawers, just not sure if I should try the Thred up route or donate to local thrift. Thank you!
Yeah, that's tough call. I KNOW I've purchased items that were more than 5 years old because Ann Taylor stopped making 100% silk knit tops longer than 5 years ago and same with Victoria's Secret silk blouses. I personally would send it if it was in great condition and the style seemed current. But they may have tightened up on that requirement. I just looked at my last kit and probably a couple of things were more than 5 years old but the styles still seem current. I don't worry about wrinkling because it's getting mailed in and even if it's not wrinkled when I send it, it will be when they get it. I guess my advice is what I've been doing - send things to thred up if the style seems current/classic and condition is excellent. Everything else I donate.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 11:18 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventmom View Post
Yeah, that's tough call. I KNOW I've purchased items that were more than 5 years old because Ann Taylor stopped making 100% silk knit tops longer than 5 years ago and same with Victoria's Secret silk blouses. I personally would send it if it was in great condition and the style seemed current. But they may have tightened up on that requirement. I just looked at my last kit and probably a couple of things were more than 5 years old but the styles still seem current. I don't worry about wrinkling because it's getting mailed in and even if it's not wrinkled when I send it, it will be when they get it. I guess my advice is what I've been doing - send things to thred up if the style seems current/classic and condition is excellent. Everything else I donate.
Thanks! I will do that. I was kind of surprised that they didn't instruct you to provide your name, acct and a list of what you were sending. Did I miss that somewhere? I'm planning on doing that anyway but was wondering if I missed a form or something.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 11:41 PM  
Vantreesta

I finally got all the Christmas stuff out away in the closet today. Still have the monumental task of doing Halloween though.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 09:01 AM  
fanofladyvols

Thanks for starting the new thread! You guys are already doing lots..yay!

I emptied and moved a bookcase and ended up purging quite a few books. I took a car full of books and Christmas purge to donation.

I have gone through my DVDs and found a stack to pass on to others. I will post a few at a time as I have time to deal with mailing.

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 12:27 PM  
eventmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catahoula Cate View Post
Thanks! I will do that. I was kind of surprised that they didn't instruct you to provide your name, acct and a list of what you were sending. Did I miss that somewhere? I'm planning on doing that anyway but was wondering if I missed a form or something.
The label must have all the details. No need for a form or list, they process what's in the bag - they aren't going to try to reconcile a list. You could put in your name and contact in the bag in case the label got trashed but honestly I just send it off without any of that.
eventmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-22, 12:38 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I keep forgetting to check in! Nothing major, but things that still needed to be done:

Got the humidifier out, cleaned and set up for winter
Got most of my papers ready for the 2021 taxes
Opened and put away a bunch of online orders and put the boxes out for recycle
Got the house back in order after Christmas

Now I've got to get started on some decluttering and cleaning projects.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-22, 04:55 PM  
Vantreesta

I ordered some clothes organizers from Amazon. Hoping I can get scarves and other things organized in a more usable way. After my workout today I did some work on the shelves in the utility room. It was mostly fitness stuff to begin with but I have moved things since then so now I will be able to store other stuff there too now that the Halloween stuff won't all fit in its closet. Hmm...sensing a theme here...STUFF!
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 11:52 AM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Here for a drive by. I just read this article and I know it touches on things we already discussed, but I am posting it as a reminder for me and others should they want motivation and strategies for decluttering:

https://roselounsbury.com/pretty-bin...ake-organized/
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 12:08 PM  
lreidgreen
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Katie, I want to reduce the use of plastics too. I have been meaning to look into glass containers for food storage but just haven't yet.

I just got back from Walmart where I took 3 plastic sacks full of plastic sacks to put in their recycling bin. I would like to figure out how to use reusable shopping bags (I have quite a few) without it being such a hassle or getting to the checkout and realizing I left the bags in the cars. Anyone have any tips? I probably don't have enough for the big shopping trip once a month but I should for the in between times.
Yes I know I said I was only doing a drive by but saw this post and wanted to share what i recently bought:
https://www.amazon.com/Reusable-Groc...76&sr=8-8&th=1
I haven't used this set yet but I have some of the bags pictured that I purchased previously in a smaller set. I have given away or lost many of them so I purchased this set because they all fit in a zippered bag. I currently use different ones for my large grocery shopping trips but they are large and take up a lot of space in my car. I keep a single one of the Bee Green bags in my purse so when I run into the CVS or for a quick trip to the grocery store/farmers market I have a bag. The ones in the smaller set fold up into a pouch in the bag itself. This larger set it looks like they roll up into a compact roll with a snap to fit into the zippered bag.
ETA: this is the smaller set I purchased some time ago. Each bag folds up into an attached flat pouch. I can attest that these bags are good quality and hold a surprising amt. of stuff. I think the ones in the larger set i linked to above may be smaller. I haven't used them yet.
lreidgreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
declutter, decluttering, downsizing, organizing, organizing the home, relocating