Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-15, 06:24 PM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Another factoid about the Amish is that they do NOT eat what we would call "clean." If you've ever had their mashed potatoes with brown butter, oh my. . . the potatos are mashed with cream and SWIMMING in brown butter. DELICIOUS.

Amish fried chicken is to die for. Dessert is not unusual at all (and the desserts are awesome. Peach cobbler with, again, cream on it? amazing.) And Amish baked oatmeal is quite sweet.

I want baked oatmeal now.

I guess when you aren't allowed many other vices, you REALLY enjoy your food.

BUT, the difference is, it is all homemade. No chemicals, emulsifiers, preservatives, dyes. . . but it IS a lot of calories, so you have to figure that they are really burning off a TON of calories on a daily basis to be able to remain at a normal weight.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 06:26 PM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Another factoid about the Amish is that they do NOT eat what we would call "clean." If you've ever had their mashed potatoes with brown butter, oh my. . . the potatos are mashed with cream and SWIMMING in brown butter. DELICIOUS.
Well, I would call that 'clean'! Nothing wrong with butter!
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 07:04 PM  
Demeris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuggie's Auntie View Post
Well, I would call that 'clean'! Nothing wrong with butter!
I know. I drowned my steamed broccoli in this afternoon.
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 08:13 PM  
Lori_Michigan

I'm over 40, and the only thing that has worked for me in losing weight has been consistency, low impact, lots of stretching, no more intensity or heavy weights, and just plain acceptance of my age and time restrictions.

I dropped 10 pounds last year just by reducing intensity and only doing low impact and fun workouts and tons of Classical Stretch/Essentrics. I just wasn't as hungry anymore and felt better, so I stopped snacking and just eat three full and satisfying meals a day. On weekends, I eat just a little more but rarely overdo it since I never deny myself. Even through the holidays I still didn't gain anything!
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 02:50 AM  
Negin

Thank you all again. I love reading all your helpful responses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan p View Post
Peach cobbler with, again, cream on it? amazing.) And Amish baked oatmeal is quite sweet.
I want baked oatmeal now.
You're making me hungry .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori_Michigan View Post
I'm over 40, and the only thing that has worked for me in losing weight has been consistency, low impact, lots of stretching, no more intensity or heavy weights, and just plain acceptance of my age and time restrictions.
I dropped 10 pounds last year just by reducing intensity and only doing low impact and fun workouts and tons of Classical Stretch/Essentrics. I just wasn't as hungry anymore and felt better, so I stopped snacking and just eat three full and satisfying meals a day. On weekends, I eat just a little more but rarely overdo it since I never deny myself. Even through the holidays I still didn't gain anything!
I love your approach and have noticed great improvement in the way that my clothes fit every time I do CS/Essentrics. I will definitely try to fit at least one CS into my routine daily, regardless of whether I choose to walk like the Amish or not. My ideal day is to do 1-3 CS routines daily, but I may only be able to do one. I don't lift heavy weights anymore either. My workouts are all low-intensity. The only moderate stuff: rebounding and Leslie walks.
Old 03-04-15, 07:21 AM  
susan p
VF Supporter

Hey, I'm ALL ABOUT the butter! Nothing but the real thing! However, tons of it is still quite caloric, even if you're over the "fat is bad" thing. And really, I was thinking more about the sugar than the butter/heavy cream/fried in lard thing. . . the Amish have a real sweet tooth for sure.

Point is, when you're thinking diet vs. exercise, they do NOT count calories, no ma'am! Nor carbs, nor sugar grams.
susan p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 07:53 AM  
Lori_Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
Thank you all again. I love reading all your helpful responses.

You're making me hungry .

I love your approach and have noticed great improvement in the way that my clothes fit every time I do CS/Essentrics. I will definitely try to fit at least one CS into my routine daily, regardless of whether I choose to walk like the Amish or not. My ideal day is to do 1-3 CS routines daily, but I may only be able to do one. I don't lift heavy weights anymore either. My workouts are all low-intensity. The only moderate stuff: rebounding and Leslie walks.
I usually only have time for one CS/Essentric per day, although I'd do more if I could! And I usually only do a light cardio a few days a week if I have time, but I've noticed that less cardio seems to be key for me -- ironically, I only did high intensity cardio and heavy weights for 20 years, and my weight crept up and up while my enthusiasm and zest went down and down...
Lori_Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 08:07 AM  
Nuggie's Auntie

Yes, I'd agree sugar is more problematic. Funny thing about fat is that it's so filling. I find I can go much longer between meals when I eat fat. No more needing to eat every two hours.
Nuggie's Auntie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 09:11 AM  
BigBadBetty

I think what is also interesting is that 100 years ago I still had fat people in my family. They were poor farmers but still managed to be plump. They couldn't afford processed food nor labor-saving appliances/farm equipment. Their lifestyle was probably fairly similar to the Amish. I think it shows what causes weight problems is not the same for all people and is more complex than can be contained in a soundbite.
BigBadBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-15, 01:15 PM  
Erica H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andtckrtoo View Post

I grew up around the Amish and they are always on their feet. I think sitting at a desk does increase the likelihood that you will not get the movement you need. Plus they eat mainly what they and their neighbors grow and raise. Very little processed food, mainly fruits, veggies, meats, grains and mainly local (they do shop at markets, but they are a very close knit community). They eat sweets - Shoe Fly Pie is amazing!! (Named because it's so good you have the shoe the flies away). Even going to the market requires hitching the horse to the buggy. Most have no electricity and they do not watch tv. The rest of us have so many reasons and opportunities to sit on our butts.
I live in Amish country and shop with them all the time. Their carts are filled with processed foods - pop, chips, etc. Even after all of these years, it still surprises me. And they do not go to the store in a horse and buggy. There are vans here that drive the Amish all over the county. So, a van will drive a group of Amish women to the store and they all shop together. I see this all the time. That's how the Amish men get to homes to do work on their roofs and other home projects - a group are driven in a van.

I like to snack and prefer small snacks to big meals. I like eating every few hours. Sometimes it's just a piece of fruit or something like that, but I like knowing I can have something to eat frequently.

Erica
Erica H. is offline   Reply With Quote