Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-03-15, 02:15 PM  
s2546

Ok. don't attack me but I disagree . I think shei s authentic and talented and beautiful but I get the feeling she is obsessed with herself and more than in a empowering way. just my opinion but I think it is a bit much. but i do agree she knows what she is talking about

SueI
Old 03-03-15, 04:00 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I admire muscle definition on instructors, because to me it seems like what they do is working and it is inspiring if you're planing to follow their workouts, but I think some go too far. Yes, Sylwia has a great body, but some of her picture more than fitness inspiration look like naughty poses to me (just my opinion), I don't have nothing against her, and she probably is the sweetest person out there (I don't know her). On the other hand, I admire Cathe body as well, she is also a very strongh woman, and I'm glad she doesn't post those kinds of pictures, same thing with Kelly and Tracie. I remember following a fitness page while back, and I always thought her body looked great and she has a similar body shape than mine, so I felt like the results she had was something I could aspire to, but them she started to post pictures of her back without a bra, and more "sexy" things, etc... In my opinion there was no need for that, her workouts were awesome, but I guess she wanted more followers... Again, anyone have the right to expose themselves as they want, but to me is more inspiring to see a great body in a cute fitness top and shorts, than a g-string and a sexy bra.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
Old 03-04-15, 08:32 AM  
casey

First I love Tonique and think Sylwia is such a positive, supportive, amazing person. I do understand some of the comments about her facebook postings. However, I don't feel she is being narcissic, I just feel she is exuberant, joyful and proud of what Tonique has done for her physique. Still, I get a twinge sometimes because there are some weirdo stalkerish guys who sometimes will post comments.

Yesterday when I did Fem Fatale Phase 2, Sylwia said in her VoiceOver more or less "don't be afraid of failing. Life is about experiencing new things".

If Sylwia has any "fault" it is her almost child like joy and openness to the world and the people who do her workouts. I would be so sad if she lost that quality. She did something in her own life that is so amazing. She gave up a career in the financial sector to start teaching Tonique classes. She took a risk and it succeeded. How many of us feel trapped by certain circumstances and jobs? That's why I admire her too.
Casey
Old 03-04-15, 08:44 AM  
dianestjohn

To me Sylwia's poses and outfits do seem sex-kittenish - especially compared to instructors like Cathe, as the poster above pointed out. Funny how we all have different reactions to people.
Old 03-04-15, 09:29 AM  
Travelmug

I always wonder if instructors gain weight (for any reason), would they still be posting "look at me" selfies on FB and Instagram? Probably not. It's easy to post motivational messages and images when you have achieved whatever your version of "ideal" is.

But then again, I feel that way about Tracey Mallett. She has pictures of herself in workout gear and bikinis on FB, but it doesn't bother me. I guess it helps if you like the instructor, too.
Old 03-04-15, 01:49 PM  
Fitstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianestjohn View Post
To me Sylwia's poses and outfits do seem sex-kittenish - especially compared to instructors like Cathe, as the poster above pointed out. Funny how we all have different reactions to people.
I agree. Sylwia's Facebook page turns me off for that very reason but maybe I am missing something.
Old 03-04-15, 02:09 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

I'm another who does not care for Sylwia's poses and outfits. To me, her poses seem more coy and provocative than matter-of-fact and "empowering" (whatever that means anyway). Last time I visited her website (which was quite a while ago) I remember animated still photos of her wearing a ballgown, holding (but not eating) a cupcake. WTH??

I like the photos from my Athleta catalogs. Simple shots of athletic women doing healthy, outdoorsy activities, many in short shorts or bathing suits but that's fine with me.

ETA
- Out of curiosity I just visited her site again. Umm, all those sexy photos are definitely not my thing.
Old 03-04-15, 07:51 PM  
s2546

i think sylwia is brave to take a chance but maybe she had enough financial support from her husband or her family. maybe not and that is huge but maybe so and that makes it a little easier for everyone to take a risk. some of us can't afford to take any risk and are grateful for a paying job.

sue
Old 03-04-15, 08:56 PM  
Breezy Trousers

I perceive Sylwia to be beautiful, open, kind, generous, sincere and endearing. Yet the photos sometimes bug me. ETA: It seems representative of our culture's obsession and over-identification with body, which is fertile ground for anorexia, exercise bulimia, etc. It easily crosses the line from celebratory to troubling for me ..... My feelings have nothing to do with Sylwia. I would not be ashamed to admit any envy of her! ..... My feelings have more to do with sadness over all the life energy I've wasted after getting (unconsciously) sucked in by this relentlessly-marketed, billion-dollar cultural focus.

Anyway, my reaction is my problem, not hers ..... a very high quality, "first-world" problem, at that.
Old 03-04-15, 08:58 PM  
upperwside

Sylwia is a classy act and an inspiring woman. She is full of goodness and it shines. She has a beautiful body and embraces it..
Closed Thread

Tags
sylwia, sylwia wiesenberg