Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-02-15, 11:06 AM  
smith938
VF Supporter

Question about KCM, Firm type workouts

can these type workouts be done daily if the mood strikes?

I'm 48, need to lose about another 60 lbs to be at where I think I'll be much healthier (already lost about 20 since the end of December)...I'm NOT a weight lifter, gym rat, obsessed with a 6 pack, gotta-get-skinny or the type to worry if my size 4 booty is lifted or not (just gotta get the booty out of the upper teens if you get my drift )

usually when I get around to doing this type of workout I feel like doing another one the next day but if I don't then the mood passes.(sometimes for months! ) I've read you're supposed to wait a day between working the same body part with weights but I'm wondering if that's only for heavy weights/bulking up/sculpting muscle or working the part to exhaustion and being sore the next day? or is for any workout that uses a weight?

honesly this has never been a problem for me before and I've never paid much attention to discussions/articles because I've been a perpetual re-starter and usually am content with squeezing in a Leslie Sansone or bouncing on my rebounder to a beautiful virtual active hike/run while listening to music..toss in a jessica smith cardio or classical stretch or ellen barrett and a nice yoga that's not overchallenging and I'm a happy camper...other words maybe with intermediate being a dream goal.. I aim for a 30 min cardio workout daily - usually I manage more but with my shift a 15 min before work or (dream) a 30 min workout before work and a yoga or 15-30 min cardio after work is super for me. I consider myself woo-hoo if I get an hour total per day. so usually that translates into the stuff I mentioned - crunches and weights have never ranked high in my idea of good use of time (though I don't know why...guess always figured cardio was better for some reason) though I don't beat myself up if yoga zone sunrise or a classical stretch 22 min episode seems most appealing some mornings

a few weeks ago I did firm maximum body shaping...didn't use weights on the tall box climbs/dips/torture...felt those suckers and was shaking and missed a few...used I think 3 lbs on the other stuff unless she insisted on heavier for a single weight move...wasn't sore the next day but all day after doing the workout I could feel it but not achey just felt 'nice and tired'....haven't done any weight stuff since until yesterday morning when I woke up early with a wild hair to try a KCM - picked 'weights' and the timesaver favorite premix and I used 5 lbs weights then got a single 8 lb for those moves with a single weight. (read later she recommends 8 lb for beginners for the pair oops!) I felt the moves but wasn't exhausted on all of them. also don't think i could've upped to 8 lbs and done them all either. after both workouts I felt stiff in the lower back - like I wanted to do a forward bend or twist to unkink it- not painful but the only stiffness I noticed.

so...that's how I used the workouts - nothing super heavy so I'm wondering if it's ok to do this type of workout this way and benefit or would I do better maybe upping the weight a bit and not being able to finish and doing them less often but still weekly or maybe twice a week? Like I said weights aren't my thing - I enjoy KCM and wouldn't mind trying a Firm occasionally. they might become my thing but as I've never been athletic or had any desire to be super athletic I dont' see that happening unless I notice I feel much better.

my instincts tell me to follow what someone has in their siggy line - the best exercise is the one I'll do and anything is better than nothing- something like that! and if the urge strikes to do 2 toning/weight type workouts back to back then do it...

my main goals right now (still being overweight and not in great healthy bloodwork wise) is 1) stick with exercising and enjoying it 2) get healthy 3) feel better

I'm thinking adding in some workouts with weights will help me with both cardio and toning and help me build more strength as well as increase my metabolism. plus add some variety which I like...
Old 03-02-15, 11:47 AM  
laurajhawk

I wouldn't work a body part that's sore from the day before. Other than that, you're probably right - the best exercise is one you'll do. I will say, there's lots of variety with KCM so you could do splits back to back (different body parts different days) or at least pick a different workout so you are not doing the identical moves two days in a row.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 12:37 PM  
lisarah

I agree with laurajhawk. And if you are sore and the next day's video has exercises for the same area, just do that body part without weights -- may help with soreness by getting blood flow there. Moving the "sore bits" usually helps me the next day.

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 12:38 PM  
lisarah

And CONGRATS on losing the weight!

Do or do not...there is no try. ~Yoda

Think lightly of yourself and deeply of the world. ~Miyamoto Musashi

Group Fitness Instructor
BS in Kinesiology
lisarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 12:58 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

thanks!

and before I saw any replies I decided to just go with what I felt like doing - picked Ellen Barrett's burn & firm pilates with the 3 lb weights(couldn't find any lighter or I'd have done it - was kinda wishing about halfway through the first 'set' that I'd followed the modifier with no weights ) on the upside I realized I must've done more yesterday than I thought! nothing hurt/felt sore but I felt more tired in the arms and legs on some of the moves..in fact I skipped the short cardio I had planned to do and even the thought of any downdogs was not appealing...my breathing was even up there for such an easy looking workout. the mat work fried me and I couldnt' even attempt to keep up with the modifier- heck couldn't even get my legs up there in the start position.

I think it's gonna be a happy squeal day IF I ever get to 10 lb weights LOL!
Old 03-02-15, 03:24 PM  
PrairieGem

I'm 40, and circuit workouts are my favorite... I can/will do them every day under particular circumstances... but if I have any soreness or issues like that I'd back off. I worry less about DOMS than aggravating things like... the tendonitis in my shoulder, the arthritis in my toes. I did a challenge in January where I worked out every single day. I mostly did Firm Express and running, with a couple episodes of Classical Stretch thrown in there when I felt a little off. It didn't seem to bother me... but last month was *insanely* stressful (family medical drama & I'm the caretaker of the patient), and I had to scale back my workouts to restorative stuff only.

So. I would give it a try for a couple of weeks and see how you feel! If you feel great, keep going! If you find yourself more tired/cranky/hungry/sore than usual, back off a little. If you don't want to quit, modify. (Or, if you're like me, be honest with yourself that you won't really modify , and do something different!)
Old 03-02-15, 03:45 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

Thanks gem..sorry about the medical drama you've been through. Are these circuit workouts? Didn't know the name for them. Don't think I have firm express but remember hearing about them several yrs ago
Old 03-02-15, 06:41 PM  
AsSweetAsSugar

I hear you on the Burn and Firm Pilates!! I did it the other day (I used 2lbs only) and it was fun, fun, fun and I felt great during the whole workout, but the next day I was sore in my Upper Back and waist! So, it definitely worked some muscles I haven't workout lately. I think you'll get the mat portion down as your core strenght increase gradually, just be patient with yourself. And congrats on losing the weight!

Quote:
I'm thinking adding in some workouts with weights will help me with both cardio and toning and help me build more strength as well as increase my metabolism. plus add some variety which I like...
I agree with you on this. I also love KCM, and she always have a great modifier on her wos. You don't need to go extremelly heavy either, but use a weight that challenge you enough (without killing you), if it is 3lbs and 5lbs, that's good, when they start to feel "too easy", just increase the weight a bit. You'll surprise yourself of the strenght gains you can achieve if being consistent.

Also a fitness journal can be of help, you could set goals for the week and try to stick to them, or make little changes if needed (depending if there is soreness, DOMS, illness, etc.), and also VF or joining a check-in can be very inspirational to keep going with your fitness goals.

Just keep enjoying and having fun with your workouts and it will be even easier to keep going! Best wishes.

LMP - Grad/Aug 13 * TheRack - Grad/Nov 13 * PowerFit H - Grad/Jan 14 * FIF: SB - Grad/ Feb 14 * Cage/Box/KB 6WR - Comp/Mar 14 * Ugi/Kb/Pilates 6WR - Comp/May 14 * ThunderBell - Comp/Sep 14 * Obsidian - Comp/Jan 15 * JNL - DO/Sept 15 * D2S - Grad/Feb 16 * KbKb/TBS - Grad/Jun 16 * FusionMixx - Com/Aug 16 * F8F - Grad/Oct 16

Sonríe a la vida y ella te sonreíra siempre!
AsSweetAsSugar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 01:18 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Do what you want to do, but look for signs of overtraining, such as tiredness, but being unable to sleep, soreness, listlessness etc. You might set up some type of rotation, but feel free to stray from it if your body doesn't feel right.
Old 03-03-15, 10:25 PM  
smith938
VF Supporter

thanks sweetassugar- yes I felt that Ellen burn & firm more than I thought I would!

Jane I felt the KCM more than I thought I would - didn't really notice until I was doing ellen's burn & firm pilates with light weights- hoo boy! the other symptoms are pretty much daily thanks to shift work but I guess I'll just do what I feel like - probably should have put the weights down on the ellen workout when I felt a little more tired. today was just walking so maybe tomorrow i"ll be up for more