Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-15-11, 05:25 PM  
jaburke66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
I haven't bought RKS, but I've been keeping an eye on the discussion here and there, partly to see what negatives come up (I am also concerned about the celebrity workout factor, for one thing). I recently noticed a couple people mentioning injuries related to RKS beyond hands getting ripped up doing snatches. That always gets me listening closely. Hopefully people who actually have the set will comment - and hopefully this doesn't just become another RKS is awesome thread - I hate when disenabling threads get derailed that way.
I wonked my shoulder but I don't entirely blame RKS for it -- I overestimated my abilities and I'm still new to kb's -- I wasn't experiencing pain during the workouts, but it caught up with me. Overtraining yes, poor technique, yes. I do think beginners would do well not to jump right into snatches -- I think w/o 15 and 16 may be too shoulder intensive for beginners. So, my solution to that will be to do other exercises or not use either of those w/o's for now. And when my shoulder recovers, I will go back for more lessons -- it scared me badly enough that I don't even want to attempt to do snatches again without live instruction. In fact, I've had to put my shoulder on complete rest for now, trying a week of light shoulder rehab exercises. (I tried to just workout lightly last week and my shoulder was still bothering me.) I am able to do swings and lower body work, and am hoping this will resolve soon. I've never had a shoulder issue before and I think I tried to progress too quickly. I wanted to be able to do these workouts to their completion and I pushed it too hard too soon.

Do I think RKS is the problem? No. I'm also wishing Skogg had not included snatches in his first series, but that's partly because I'm pretty leery of them right now. When and if my shoulder gets better, I'll be sticking with presses and high pulls for a while. These are explosive exercises and I'm not convinced that a beginner doing kb's 4x a week should be doing 30 mins of snatches by their 16th kb workout in week 4. (I had been doing kb's for a couple of months prior to RKS coming out and was hoping I could get the snatch down doing this series...in my opinion, it's not really designed for that.) I do like the rest of the series for what it is: good, interesting kb routines. For teaching, I will stick with Skogg.
Old 07-15-11, 05:28 PM  
glamgal
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
I really don't get the celebrity factor on this? I realize he's an actor, but I've never heard of him before & frankly bought it for the variety.
I think that for the younger crowd, there is a celebrity factor. (No offense, Shammy!)

I was showing my sister (who is 24 compared to my age of 33), and the first thing she said was, "Hey, that's the guy from The Hills!"

I know of The Hills and even watched a season or two. But I think it appeals to a younger audience than myself and I never viewed long enough to see Doug on there. I did, however, recognize his name from the get-go as a long time on-again, off-again boyfriend of Paris Hilton. I had no idea he played baseball or was on The Hills.

ETA: I meant to say, "I was showing my sister (who is 24 compared to my age of 33) the 'infomercial' video on the RKS website,..."
Old 07-15-11, 06:13 PM  
suegy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamgal View Post
I think that for the younger crowd, there is a celebrity factor. (No offense, Shammy!)

I was showing my sister (who is 24 compared to my age of 33), and the first thing she said was, "Hey, that's the guy from The Hills!"

I know of The Hills and even watched a season or two. But I think it appeals to a younger audience than myself and I never viewed long enough to see Doug on there. I did, however, recognize his name from the get-go as a long time on-again, off-again boyfriend of Paris Hilton. I had no idea he played baseball or was on The Hills.
I was wondering the same thing about celebrity factor. I've never seen this guy before and I haven't done all the workouts but his celebrity is not even mentioned. Nor does he lead the workouts. I think that he just leads the challenges which are maybe 3 workouts out of 16.
suegy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 06:42 PM  
Alan

I still have my eye on this set but I'll willing to wait and see if the price comes down eventually. I probably won't bite unless it comes down below $100.

As for the "celebrity factor," I consider that to be a non-issue as the workouts were designed and led (except for the challenges) by an RKC.
Alan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 06:55 PM  
alisoncooks

I like this set well-enough. In retrospect, I don't think it's worth the money. I'd have no problem paying $80 for it, though...but $120+....meh.

I have enjoyed most of the individual workouts from the set, but some much more than others. I did 2 full weeks of the rotation before I started doing other stuff (I'm just a rotationaphobe). I can definitely see myself using these as add-ons (especially #1, #4, #8).

So....I like it, but I have some mild regrets about caving on it.
(I should add: I didn't buy this set for myself, I bought it for DH's anniversary gift. If it were just mine, I might would sell it. Maybe not.)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-11, 07:02 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Debbie, I appreciate your opinion on this system. You have my respect your KB history, and I think you'll judge fairly and honestly.

Rozy, I've seen your youtube clips with this system. You're lookin' good!

I'm very intrigued, but it is a lot of money to spend. Already spent a bundle on AOS workouts long ago, so maybe I should stick to those, LOL!

Another question though...WHY the heck is the other RKS thread so gosh darn LONG? If that's not a bandwagon waiting to happen, I don't know what is? I've maybe worked my way thru half the posts. It's nuts, I tell ya!

Thanks again, everyone!

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 01:22 AM  
RedPanda

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaburke66 View Post
I wonked my shoulder but I don't entirely blame RKS for it -- I overestimated my abilities and I'm still new to kb's -- I wasn't experiencing pain during the workouts, but it caught up with me. Overtraining yes, poor technique, yes. I do think beginners would do well not to jump right into snatches -- I think w/o 15 and 16 may be too shoulder intensive for beginners. So, my solution to that will be to do other exercises or not use either of those w/o's for now. And when my shoulder recovers, I will go back for more lessons -- it scared me badly enough that I don't even want to attempt to do snatches again without live instruction. In fact, I've had to put my shoulder on complete rest for now, trying a week of light shoulder rehab exercises. (I tried to just workout lightly last week and my shoulder was still bothering me.) I am able to do swings and lower body work, and am hoping this will resolve soon. I've never had a shoulder issue before and I think I tried to progress too quickly. I wanted to be able to do these workouts to their completion and I pushed it too hard too soon.

Do I think RKS is the problem? No. I'm also wishing Skogg had not included snatches in his first series, but that's partly because I'm pretty leery of them right now. When and if my shoulder gets better, I'll be sticking with presses and high pulls for a while. These are explosive exercises and I'm not convinced that a beginner doing kb's 4x a week should be doing 30 mins of snatches by their 16th kb workout in week 4. (I had been doing kb's for a couple of months prior to RKS coming out and was hoping I could get the snatch down doing this series...in my opinion, it's not really designed for that.) I do like the rest of the series for what it is: good, interesting kb routines. For teaching, I will stick with Skogg.
Julie - I hope your shoulder problem clears up soon. I know how much shoulder injuries suck.

I have an old shoulder injury, and for that reason never do KB workouts on consecutive days, as set out in the RKS workout plan. I've been a bit leery of the 30-minute snatch workout, but after reading your opinion of RKS workouts 15 and 16, I've crossed those off my workout plan for now.

Since I don't have access to a qualified live instructor, I'm now rethinking my views about buying Skogg...
Old 07-16-11, 03:36 AM  
akaAnnie

While I like this set, I'm not looking forward to it as much as I do Skogg and I've already had an injury(upper back) and a knee twinge I never had with Skogg. I'll do it through once then probably use it to add vairety to a mainly Skogg rotation. I think with the snatches Skogg starts you off slowly -30 seconds a side-and there is a resting place with snatches. And Skogg has little variations so you aren't pounding away on your shoulder, like throwing in a clean with the press. It's tough but I never thought "Oh, this is ridiculous!" like I have with rks. next time I have that 15 minutes pressfest I'll alternate with clean and press, high pulls and maybe a snatch or two.
akaAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 06:52 AM  
Darisa

Debbie, Thanks for your thoughts. I've been trying to trade for this set but now I don't think I want it.
Darisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-11, 07:03 AM  
mizach
VF Supporter

I mentioned I liked some discs more than the others.
RKS #8 is one of those I like. This might be the one to push me to like paper workouts. You do a move for a number or reps, move on to another one for a # of reps, ... Repeat the cycle. Do as many rounds as you can for 15 mins (I forgot how many mins). It's pretty much like Crossfit or Zuzanna's (sp?) circuits where you do as many rounds as you can. I was sweating buckets after the challenge!

If you don't like to count and rather follow-along, RKS is not for you. There are discs where you count, there are other discs where you are timed to do something.
mizach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doug reinhardt, kettlebell, reinhardt, reinhardt kb system, rks, skogg system