Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-17, 12:17 PM  
Gardengirl

I have always hated yoga. Too slow and boring and never felt like I was pushing my muscles for the burn. . . . until last year! I began live classes last spring and have been surprised at how it has helped me deal with stress through breathing and meditation and flow of exercise. Totally outside my personality, or what I thought was my personality. Ha!

And what a timely thread because I was coming here to pose the question of what I need to add. I would like to add some more strength training but something that would work well with yoga. I'm done with metabolic/hiit/balls to the walls exercises (I think that's okay to say because I heard Jessica Smith say it on a dvd ). So while I do think yoga has made improvements in many ways, I feel like I've lost a little in the toning department.

So, I'd love to hear what others are doing. I'm thinking Margaret Richard's Unplugged as add ons might work nicely with yoga, and some walking. Thoughts?

ETA: I would also love to know what DVDs for gentle yoga you might recommend.
Old 03-08-17, 01:00 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardengirl View Post
So, I'd love to hear what others are doing. I'm thinking Margaret Richard's Unplugged as add ons might work nicely with yoga, and some walking. Thoughts?

ETA: I would also love to know what DVDs for gentle yoga you might recommend.
J. Brown's Yoga DVD. Wonderful teacher; his mantra is "gentle is the new advanced".

Jane Adams' Gentle Yoga. Lots of fans of this on VF.

Just Relax by David Swenson. David is an Ashtanga yoga teacher, but this DVD is NOT Ashtanga! It's sort of yoga-esque; very relaxing. Great long deep relaxation at the end.

As far as toning--I think Margaret Richard would be great, and adding walking to your routine is a great idea too.

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 02:41 PM  
videofit

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnna View Post
well, what happened to me is that I now look absolutely great,better physique than all my years of cardio & weights
What is your body type? Ecto, endo, meso?
Old 03-08-17, 02:55 PM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by eam531 View Post
I too need an hour of at least somewhat challenging yoga to maintain strength. I modify these practices due to pre-existing joint issues (and to head off any new ones), but I'm on that mat 5-6 days a week for a good hour.
So power yoga an hour a day? Or just more vigorous yoga rotated with some gentler stuff?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 04:27 PM  
Gardengirl

Thanks, Betsy! I'll give those a look.
Old 03-08-17, 05:45 PM  
dnna

videofit_from dnna- I am a very small person,about 5' tall, generally petite all over and hard to build muscle. I do have some though from all my years of Firming. a better response is -I am almost 67 and experiencing a lot aof changes due to being way way past menopause (27 years) and having had a complete thyroidectomy. and 70 is just around the corner. so those labels kind of do not apply.
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-17, 06:07 PM  
eam531
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles76 View Post
So power yoga an hour a day? Or just more vigorous yoga rotated with some gentler stuff?
Most of what I do is power yoga or a variant for an hour a day. One yoga routine I really like that is not power yoga is Janice Lennart's yoga DVD. It's an hour, and is not easy, but is not vinyasa-based. Janice is so elegant that I love doing the routine with her, and she's over 70 and a huge inspiration. She has a pilates DVD that I don't have, but some people here have said that it is tough and really good.

Once a week I do something gentle--J. Brown, for example. But even with his DVD I choose a routine that is at least an hour--you get several choices of routines of varying length on his DVD.

If I'm really tired or not feeling well, I will do a shorter gentle routine, but basically I shoot for an hour of challenging yoga 5-6 days a week

There is no way of telling people they are all walking around shining like the sun--Thomas Merton

People have done all kinds of remarkable things because they thought they could. People routinely fail to do quite ordinary things because they assume they can't--Reinhard Engels

Stay gold, Ponyboy--S.E. Hinton

Pick up your crazy heart and give it one more try--Ryan Bingham

Disclosure: I have a personal relationship with a fitness instructor who has appeared in some videos.
eam531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 09:01 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

I have the opposite reaction to an all yoga rotation than everyone who posted about great results. I lose strength and turn to mush. I get great results in the stress relief department, though.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 09:40 AM  
bubbles76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I have the opposite reaction to an all yoga rotation than everyone who posted about great results. I lose strength and turn to mush. I get great results in the stress relief department, though.
Do you have good results with bodyweight workouts at all? The reason why I think a yoga hybrid or all yoga rotation might work for me is that I have very good results with bodyweight workouts.
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-17, 04:08 PM  
Betty Boop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I think it's interesting that Tony G in Yoga Elementals has a class called Build Your Body that he recommends doing at least once a week. It's body weight exercises.

Tags
bikram yoga, chair yoga, deepen your practice, udaya, wrist free yoga, wrist friendly yoga, yoga only