Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-17, 09:58 AM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepGirl View Post
I use mostly Cerave products and love them. My skin looks pretty good for almost 50 and while I have expression lines I don't have many wrinkles. I watch for sales at Walgreens and pick them up when there are buy 2, get 1 free sales. I used to use Cindy Crawford's Meaningful Beauty years ago; my dermatologist told me that really the only two ingredients that will make a difference is sunscreen and Retin A and she recommended Cerave products. I tried prescription strength Retin a but I think my skin is just too sensitive for it and I hated how flaky I got. Cerave has retinoids, but I'm guessing they aren't as effective so I will try the Differin. My skin care routine is so simple and so cheap--I bet I spend less than $8 a month, compared to my MB days when it was $50 a month and numerous steps. HTH!
That is exactly Dr. Dray's advice - sunscreen/sun protection and retinoids! I like all the Cerave products as well!

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 10:22 AM  
lizh

Is there a difference between Differin and Retin A?

I've been using .5% Retin A (purchased online w/o prescription) and would prefer to buy at the drugstore if Differin is the same thing. The Retin A has helped my skin quite a bit. Thanks for mentioning Dr. Dray!
Liz
lizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 11:03 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

I enjoy Angie/Hot&Flashy's videos. I would never go through all those steps for skin care or make-up. I wonder if using all these types of products might be wearing her skin out? I've seen some really negative and hurtful comments about her at assorted blogs and forums. I just think it is her hobby and it is fun for her. So, why not?

It does bother me that Angie puts eyeliner on her water line. That is really unsanitary and could damage the eye. Doesn't seem to bother her though.

I can probably sub most of Paula's products. The biggest thing her products have going for them for me is that they are relatively unscented. I don't know why so many companies feel the need to add fragrance, plus irritating and photo-sensitizing ingredients (like citrus essential oils) to facial products.

I wouldn't use any face wash with active ingredients. They always burn my eyes. My eyeballs don't need exfoliating. Also, anything with the name "Neutrogena" on it breaks me out or burns my eyes.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-17, 12:57 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnamp View Post
... - so that is why she recommends a BHA wash. Which is funny, b/c that is the exact opposite advice from Paula who says the washes are useless b/c you are washing off the active ingredients. It is confusing for sure. ...
Paula sells washes with active ingredients. Or at least she used to. (I still have some in my bathroom cabinet.)

I do think that people can vary quite a lot in their sensitivities, so a product that would melt my face off might work well as a gentle wash for someone else.
Old 07-22-17, 01:08 PM  
Carol K

Maybe there's a difference of opinion about what constitutes an active ingredient, because I've been using Paula's products since the beginning and I don't recall a cleanser with active ingredients (AHA, BHA, benzoyl peroxide, etc.)
Old 07-23-17, 02:09 PM  
donnamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizh View Post
Is there a difference between Differin and Retin A?

I've been using .5% Retin A (purchased online w/o prescription) and would prefer to buy at the drugstore if Differin is the same thing. The Retin A has helped my skin quite a bit. Thanks for mentioning Dr. Dray!
Liz
Hi,

Liz Differin and Retin A are different, they are both retinoids, but work on different "receptors". Differin is Adapalene and I think Retin A is Tretinoin.

I believe Adapalene/Differin was studied for its efficacy in treating acne and Retin-A/Tretinoin for wrinkles/anti-aging. I don't have bad acne, but I do have oily skin and I think Differin made some positive changes in my skin texture. I don't have a lot of "wrinkles" but I do have some discoloration, I haven't noticed much difference with regard to wrinkles or discoloration w/ the Differin, but I have only been using it since May.

I think that either product takes several months of use before you would see any difference, and my guess is most people stop using it before they see a difference b/c the difference is slow in coming.

I also understand that Differin/Adapalene may be less irritating and easier to handle.

I haven't tried Tretinoin. Some of the OTC reitnol products do irritate my skin, though.

It could also be b/c I'm putting the Differin/Adapalene on after I moisturize my face, so there may be a protective barrier built up to make it less irritating for my skin.

To my knowledge Paula doesn't sell washes w/ AHA, BHA or BP - she may include antioxidants in her washes, though, I'm not sure.

Alta - That is awful about people making negative comments about Angie/Hot & Flashy. Although I don't follow her routine, I think she is entertaining and informative and does give her honest opinion about things. I find her routine to be too much for me, but she did post a few videos w/ a more simplified routine that seems very helpful. I also like her 'look books' that she does every season.

Donna
Old 07-23-17, 04:40 PM  
Leonana

I'm also a Dr Dray fan. Donna, explained everything really well. From what I've read, tretinoin has been studied for anti-aging, but adapalene has been studied for acne only. However, there have been a couple of small studies that suggest that adapalene does minimize fine lines and discolorations. Also, I've read some comments from people who claim adapalene did minimize their fine lines.

I'm currently using tretinoin, a generic version of Retin A, that I purchased online from ReliableRX, an Indian pharmacy. I didn't have good results at first, because I was irritating my skin with too many products. I was following the advice of You Tubers, including Angie, and was using antioxidant serums. I was also adding in AHA and PC's 2% BHA on my days off from tretinoin. My skin started looking worse, and I thought my skin just couldn't handle tretinoin. I dropped all of the extra products and also switched to Differin. My skin looked and felt so much nicer. Eventually, I figured it out and tried tretinoin again, using only cleanser, moisturizer and sunscreen. It has worked really well and my skin is starting to look better. I recently started adding in a homemade Vitamin C serum, following Lab Muffin's recipe, and so far so good. The most expensive thing I use is EltaMD tinted mineral sunscreen for my face. I also like the Neutrogena Pure & Free SPF 50 mineral sunscreen.

Before starting tretinoin, I had good results with PC's 2% BHA and their Resist Light Antioxidant serum (which was probably working as light moisturizer). In the past, I was really grateful for the 2% BHA. But now that I discovered that ZapZyt has a fragrance free BHA, and Differin is now OTC, I don't think that people with oily or acne prone skin necessarily need PC products anymore. I will always appreciate her book and the 2% BHA, when I discovered them in the '90's. She's the one that helped me to discover my skin couldn't handle fragrance. I feel kind of sad about not buying from the company anymore, but the prices are just too high, and I'm finding other stuff I like better.

At night I'm using CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser and Oil Of Olay Gentle Clean Foaming Cleansers, CeraVe PM Moisturizer, and tretinoin every other night. In the morning, I'm using CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser, Neutrogena Oil Free Moisturizer, and EltaMD sunscreen. Like Donna, I'm putting my moisturizer on before my retinoid, and this has dramatically reduced flaking and irritation. It hasn't reduced the effectiveness of the tretinoin at all. I also apply moisturizer to wet skin, to trap in the moisture.
Old 07-23-17, 05:16 PM  
donnamp

Sherry introduced me to Dr. Dray! So thanks, Sherry!! Really made a difference in my skin, plus I find her vlogs to be entertaining and informative!

Donna
Old 07-24-17, 08:52 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Thanks again, Donna, for the helpful information. I've been working all weekend so haven't checked out Dr. Dray yet but hope to soon.

I just wanted to add that I love watching Angie too and find her videos informative and entertaining too. She just obviously has a lot more time and money than I do . She has a new look book video out that I'll be checking out too.

Vintage, what vlogs and forums are you referring to? Not that I want to read negative things about Angie but I'm always looking for more vlogs and forums to check out.
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-17, 07:54 PM  
Jeanne

Link to article "These 7 companies control almost every single beauty product you buy"

http://www.businessinsider.com/compa...t=allverticals
Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beauty thread, beauty tips, dr dray, hotandflashy, makeupalley, paulas choice