Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-20, 02:25 PM  
Taiga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Negin View Post
........ I've also read that grey hair doesn't look nearly as good on overweight women like me......
I despise that there is such reading material. Seriously, I think modern media is designed purely to keep us unsatisfied and purchasing. Any one else imagine a world where we wake up without giving a thought to what we look like? Just hop out of bed like children and be excited about the adventures of the day. There's so much wonder and magic in the world when we're not stifled by fabricated standards created solely for profit and power structures. You can see the start of a backlash in the body acceptance movement. I hope that will grow into a more pro health movement and that we all join in that rebellion. Down with shallowness and disgusting terms like "sexual market value" (as if we were livestock waiting to get our teeth checked ) and up with pure joy for being alive and feeling the sun on our faces.
Old 02-08-20, 05:44 AM  
suzannaerin

suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 06:27 AM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Now we might be getting into the violating guidelines realm. Remember that discussion of
“volatile topics like politics, religion and plastic surgery” are verboten at VF. We’re not there yet, but just sayin’. Oops. Once a moderator, always thinking like a moderator.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 06:38 AM  
amoodygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzannaerin View Post
I think it might be more difficult---aging---for women who were considered "pretty" by traditional standards in their youth. That's not an issue for me, so perhaps, that influences my general acceptance of the changes in my appearance. I worry more about possible medical conditions that could impact my quality and enjoyment of life as I age. Give me a mobile body and healthy mind over a smooth, wrinkle free face and thick auburn hair any day!
In my response, I got rid of the plastic surgery talk, Joni O!

I have to agree. My mother was a beautiful woman - she had it all - face, body - just gorgeous. She had such a hard time aging that it ate away at her. I distinctly remember when my sister and I were teens and boys started noticing us. My mother said, "am I invisible?" Her mid-40s - that's when it started for her and she was miserable the rest of her life.

Diane

Never have I been a blue calm sea
I have always been a storm

Fleetwood Mac (Stevie Nicks)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Diane
amoodygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 06:54 AM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiga View Post
Any one else imagine a world where we wake up without giving a thought to what we look like? Just hop out of bed like children and be excited about the adventures of the day......I hope that will grow into a more pro health movement and that we all join in that rebellion.....
Taiga, you FIERCE sister!

This is what I share with anyone who will listen IRL... (although not as well worded as you!)

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 07:34 AM  
Tanja

Quote:
Seriously, I think modern media is designed purely to keep us unsatisfied and purchasing.
That is the purpose of whatever we read on the Internet. Advertisements are created by psychologists who target the consumer's weaknesses, their egos and fears. We are supposed to be unhappy with ourselves, our assets and lives. Happy and content people do not need more stuff; there is no profit to be made with confident people.
Tanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 07:47 AM  
Demeris

Quote:
I despise that there is such reading material. Seriously, I think modern media is designed purely to keep us unsatisfied and purchasing. Any one else imagine a world where we wake up without giving a thought to what we look like? Just hop out of bed like children and be excited about the adventures of the day. There's so much wonder and magic in the world when we're not stifled by fabricated standards created solely for profit and power structures. You can see the start of a backlash in the body acceptance movement. I hope that will grow into a more pro health movement and that we all join in that rebellion. Down with shallowness and disgusting terms like "sexual market value" (as if we were livestock waiting to get our teeth checked ) and up with pure joy for being alive and feeling the sun on our faces.
Indeed! Well stated. I know that when I retired, I made a commitment to my health--not my weight or my size or my attractiveness to anyone, my health. So when my sister says 'You look good,' I know she means that my figure is more in line with what the culture likes, but I always respond, because it
s the truth, 'Yes, I'm taking care of my health.'
Demeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-20, 08:51 AM  
sbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanja View Post
That is the purpose of whatever we read on the Internet. Advertisements are created by psychologists who target the consumer's weaknesses, their egos and fears. We are supposed to be unhappy with ourselves, our assets and lives. Happy and content people do not need more stuff; there is no profit to be made with confident people.
I second this sentiment!
sbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 01:09 PM  
TracyQ

Jane Fonda’s gray hair at Oscars took her hairdresser 7 hours to do. It looks beautiful.

https://www.today.com/style/jane-fon...y-hair-t173561

Cellulite is not a character defect.
TracyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-20, 01:45 PM  
SueT

Jack Martin did Jane Fonda’s hair, the famous colorist that was mentioned on the first page of this thread.

SueT
SueT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aging, ellen barrett, going gray, gray hair, grey hair, hair