Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-09-20, 09:00 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Hello everyone!

I went to my PT today, tired of lack of progress with my PF, feel like it’s two steps forward & one step back. I want to be in good form for our holiday next month. He is awesome and always right on with dx & tx. He was just at a conference on PF and treatment has evolved significantly. Bottom line.... my issues originate in my low back, not surprising after my last bout with SI dysfunction. So I had an IMS dry needing tx in my foot, calf, hip, & low back. I have booked four more treatments although I’m hoping 3 more might do it. A couple of the needles were real zingers, lol. I’ve been told to dial things back for a while....avoid impact (ie my rebounder) and walk a bit less, keep my stretching very gentle, & don’t overly stretch my feet. Heat on my low back, calf, & foot, and wide angle legs up the wall with abs relaxed & slight hip elevation. So I shall follow instructions!

So today was...
~a short walk to book club
~headstand (made sure he was okay with that)
~legs up the wall.

Mena - My DH would be so envious of you seeing NdGT live! I’ve watched Star Talk a few times and, besides being brilliant, I have to say that he’s a born entertainer.

Waves to all!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 05:37 AM  
Cleda
VF Supporter

Just the check in cuz I'm short on time

And if I don't do this now, I'll get way behind. I don't want that!

1/8/2020: 45 Minutes Peloton "Sunday with Love" (another spiritual ride - I am enjoying the heck out of these and am going to try and clear my calendar for Sundays at 11:45 a.m. so I can do them LIVE. May happen, may not.) + a one mile park outside at the park on a cold and blustery day. It was a different type of walk (not on equipment) and it felt good!

1/9/2020: Time to take it up a notch. I would go along at not so tough rides all the time because that's my nature. Moving is good. Variety is better. A tough workout every week is good. So, I make myself do it. Today? I did a 45 minute tabata ride! (Peloton of course!) I have a love hate relationship with tabata. Part of me is like suck it up and do it. It's about 8 minutes of work (3 sets) and it's 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off. THEN there's a longgggggg recovery in between. The other part of me is: This is dreadful. I end up purple faced and pushed to the max. But I suppose that's what it's supposed to do. I did Christine's 45 minute tabata ride. It was challenging, yet fun. sort of. If anyone can make me enjoy tabata, it's Christine. Or at least get THROUGH it. LOL! Even dh said, "But she's your girl, you like her." hahahahahahahaha. Not when she's trying to kill me. But as the saying goes: That which doesn't kill us ... makes us stronger. I did a mile on the bellicon at night after work.

Stats:
9/9 mile a day
9/9 January
9/366 (ooops - how'd this get in there? ~ I am a lemming)
4/10 podcasts

Life is good!
Cleda
Cleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 05:51 PM  
Helen

CLEDA
Tabatas are NOT pleasant - but yeah, not supposed to be.

PAM
Sorry that your PF isn't progressing how you'd like.

LILI
Yes, Les Mills have always been about the music. Each segment goes with a song, including moves that match the lyrics. It's been a major part of their design. Hope you continue to like them.

MENA
Keeping it up!!

KAY
How's Ur?

Business
Jan 11/31
2020 11/366
but remember, I'm still on holidays, and you ALL know that record may change once I go back to work.
Fri., 10th of Jan. Les Mills - Body Step 72 56min
Sat., 11th of Jan.
am Barbara - Yoga for Stress Relief - Beginning & Ending Your Day - Wake Up! 58min
pm Michelle & Shannan - The Biggest Loser - Calorie Killer Circuit 55 min, with buddy
• Resistance training is critical. 💯

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Helen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-20, 10:26 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s workouts:
~Essentrics TV: Full Body Pain Relief
~MFML: Gratitude Practice & Meditation - This was very thoughtful!
~Legs up the wall

I’m staying gentle as my PT instructions. I’m a bit tender at some of the needling spots in my low back & left hip. Good news is....my PF feels a little better already!

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Old 01-11-20, 10:11 AM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

Pam - Glad you are already feeling improvement in your PF! Very incouraging!
Helen - 2 long workouts in one day? Go you!
Cleda - were you looking for Pokemons at the park? Not a big fan of Tabata here, either. Does that mean we need to do more of it?

1/10 - 5K run walk. I struggled with this one, but I only did a short run last week, so that could be it. I'm going to try 2 runs/week and see how I do.

Nothing yet today, but I'm planning on more Les Mills.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 04:31 PM  
LiliMagill
VF Supporter

1/11 - dog walk and Les Mills BodyPump #109. I'm really pushing myself with these, and that's a good thing. I tend to take the easy road too often.

“Let us rather run the risk of wearing out than rusting out.” Teddy Roosevelt
LiliMagill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 04:37 PM  
Helen

LILI
Sigh, yes - we ALL need to do more Tabata workouts.

The Tabata protocol was found in the 90s by Dr. Izumi Tabata / team at the Japanese National Institute of Fitness and Sports at Kagoshima Prefecture basically through repeated trials of various combinations / timings of work/rest.

Moderate workouts improve the aerobic/cardiovascular fitness not anaerobic/muscle strengthening. High-intensity workouts improve BOTH, in the shortest time-frame.

Also, connections between brain cells can be reinforced by USING them (body increases thickness of myelin sheath - the insulation on the electrical cord which allows the info to travel faster) but NEW brain cells need a specific chemical (P7C3). That chemical is only made by the body during exercise that makes you huffy-puffy - that anaerobic stuff. So if we do NOT want cognitive decline, we should be getting huffy-puffy more often.

The above is my understanding from a variety of sources.

What Cleda said - what doesn't kill you ....

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-11-20, 05:50 PM  
honey

Oh, I'll join the party! So far, I've worked out every day in January. Today was Morning Meltdowns 7 (Downbeat Strength) and 12 (Upbeat Strength). I'm doing the series a bit out of order to accommodate travel days when I don't have weights. It's not the perfect workout series, but I like it so far.

Pam, here is the weirdest thing about PF. One morning you'll get out of bed and notice that it's gone. I tried everything. PT, calf stretches on that wheel thing, orthotics, running/not running, sleeping in those socks that hold your feet flexed, rolling my feet on therapy balls, and ice-cold soda cans. Foam rollers and trigger point balls on every spot from my butt to my toes. Everything!

One day I noticed that it was gone, and probably had been for a few weeks. If I had to guess what really made the difference, it was always wearing supportive shoes around the house, whereas before, I went barefoot. That and I had Active Release Therapy on my calves, which was excruciating but super helpful.
honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-20, 07:20 PM  
Helen

Well done for having made it every day so far!
PF is weird. DH had it and also tried many things and spent a fortune on orthotics; but it's been gone for several years now. In the end, it was the opposite to you - he used to always wear shoes (grew up in snow country) but switched to going barefoot as often a possible and tossed the orthotics - pfftt! PF gone.

Jan 12/31
2020 12/366
Sun., 12th Jan.
Ashley - Yoga for Weight Loss 51 min

Ή Walk first
² Weights next
³ Cardio for fun
⁴ Add stretch & balance.
Old 01-11-20, 09:58 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Today’s offerings:
~neighborhood walk
~Essentrics PCW 9 - standing segment
~Yoga Collective: Back Care - this was a series of lovely, gentle, reclined twists finishing with a seated hip opening forward bend
~Legs up the wall

Welcome honey! Yes PF is a weird thing. I’ve been doing all the right things as you described with little relief. I had a bad bout with it about ten years ago too. I’m hopeful about the IMS being helpful as I know it’s something further up the chain. When my PT tested my leg strength, my left leg, where my PF is, was noticeably weaker. So time will tell....

Helen & Lili - No tabata for me, at least not for a while.....

Waves to all!

Hatha YTT - 2011

Jim Rohn