Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 01-29-20, 01:27 PM  
sherry7899

Thanks, Pat!

Day 39 Yoga Upload morning practice

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 07:45 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Day 40:
~Reading: The Daily Stoic, day 29
~MFML: Go Slow Floor Flow
~headstand & legs up the wall

It was a good 40 days in spite of not meeting my goal of more active yoga due to an injury. But the time for that will come!

All the best everyone as you continue on!

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-20, 09:23 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Pam, woo-hoo! Any yoga is good yoga; sounds like you have been doing what your body needs.

Tonight I didn't have a lot of time, so I did 3 of the "mini" practices from Yoga Conditioning for Athletes. I always forget how nice these are! It's weird now to see Rodney Yee looking so young though.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 08:52 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Nada. I skipped another day. Got the Shingrix vaccine in the morning, my arm hurt and it made me very fatigued. I did look at YogaGlo and plan future experiences, though.
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 07:59 PM  
hch
VF Supporter

Days 16-26 (January 20-30): more meditation (varying lengths) and reading

I expect to resume asana work soon and intend to write more about asana topics later.

I also intend to try some yoga nidra, now that I expect to be less inclined to fall asleep during it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
I have a practice saved in my YouTube "watch later" folder by Dr. Melissa West, as I generally like her; maybe I can do it today!
A search leads to Yoga Nidra for Healing 20 mins | Yoga with Dr. Melissa West 438

Thanks for the mention: I may try it myself. (If I liked it enough, ultimately I would want to memorize the basic points from the video such that I wouldn't have to rely on having access to it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster
So, Henry, what are you reading?
I've been reading some texts that've attracted my attention, without any grand reading plan or any explicit attempt to set them into some sort of a dialogue. As I wrote last year, the sadhana framework is at least a useful mnemonic reminder.

One interesting thing that's happened, probably recently, is that my "resting heart rate" in certain contexts (sitting still for a few minutes, lying still) has slowed appreciably, and my best cautious guess is that the decrease may be a result of the meditation. I'll write a separate post about what I've noticed and hope to post later tonight.
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 08:28 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Henry, the Melissa West yoga nidra I tried was actually this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45IpRuHeRg

I had the same response I have had to other yoga nidra--ie, nice, but no more relaxing that other meditations/restorative yoga. (I do really like Melissa's restorative practices btw.) If you try the other yoga nidra practice, let me know how it is!

I did another 2 of the "mini" sports practices from Yoga Conditioning for Athletes tonight. I also finished Tara Brach's 10 Day Radical Compassion meditation challenge, which was very nice. I'll start Sharon Salzberg's annual meditation challenge on Saturday (2/1), so I guess I need something for tomorrow!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 08:57 PM  
sherry7899

Day 40: yoga upload 20 minute floor practice

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-20, 10:19 PM  
Catahoula Cate

Day 30: Tara Lee Earth balances.

Quit sitting!! Joints and muscles love motion!

Do The Next Thing!
Catahoula Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 08:08 AM  
hch
VF Supporter

(My post about heart rate will probably be delayed until later today.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toaster View Post
Henry, the Melissa West yoga nidra I tried was actually this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c45IpRuHeRg
Oh, she has multiples: I think that sometime I'll look over her video clips and try whatever versions are there, heh. Thanks for the link. (If only for practical reasons, I'd rather try what a trusted person recommends to me than simply dive into Youtube search results for yoga nidra--even if I first try those videos that have the most views, highest ratings, a good number of positive comments, and that sort of thing. Due to other demands on my time, I'd take that route more slowly.)

Quote:
I had the same response I have had to other yoga nidra--ie, nice, but no more relaxing that other meditations/restorative yoga. (I do really like Melissa's restorative practices btw.) If you try the other yoga nidra practice, let me know how it is!
I'll be looking soon: another practice, which I found at least a year ago but haven't examined more closely yet, is probably an audio recording.

My thoughts here resemble like what I've posted before, though with more experience added since I last wrote:

I find yoga nidra roughly as relaxing as certain types of meditation and the like if I'm lying down while doing them. I may also compare the effect, roughly, to an extended version of ten-minute sessions of autogenic training, which I'm learning while in a relaxed posture that may be lying down.

Although I've probably never tried 20 minutes of savasana as such, I'd guess that I'd find yoga nidra more relaxing than the same duration of "undirected" savasana. Because I haven't tried progressive muscle relaxation in some time, a direct comparison may be misleading, but I've found (recent) yoga nidra more relaxing. The same is true of visualization techniques that I've tried by themselves, without a preparatory relaxation method.

I also haven't yet tried much yoga called restorative, and I hope to try it soon enough.

I also haven't tried yoga nidra consistently enough to see what effects regular practice may have on me. (I'm getting an idea, which I may try if I get the chance, to do something like a sadhana with fairly frequent yoga nidra.)
"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't happen often to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept. Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand."

The Velveteen Rabbit
hch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-20, 09:21 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Day 37, got back on track with catching up on my PT and Sweet & Gentle Practice (restorative) with Steven Espinosa.

Pam, congratulations on your 40 straight days of yoga. Bravo! You kept reading The Daily Stoic, I am impressed.

Wow Beth yoga nidra doesn't make you conk out? I always go to La La Land.

Sherry, woo hoo I see you are a graduate too. Congratulations!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sadhana