Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-18, 12:00 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

dvd/blu ray player

Although my DVD player still works, it is getting old, and I would like to get a back-up in case it quits on me. I don't know if DVD players are even sold anymore, and I would like to get a blu ray player that has built-in WIFI. However, I'm technologically challenged, so I would need something fairly simple to operate. Also, (and this may be something I need to give up) I would like to have one with a timer that shows time remaining as well as time elapsed. Has anyone purchased anything like this recently?

TIA
Old 09-06-18, 12:11 PM  
sherry7899

I started a thread on blu ray players about two months ago. I will see if I can find it.

I don't think they make ones with countdown timers, to be honest, but I think ours has a button the remote called "display" which shows you the time passing. I can't remember if it counts the time up or down. I will need to check it.

I would not recommend the Sony blu ray we bought in 2012. It is very picky about playing discs, and they stopped supporting the apps for you tube and hulu. Hopefully they don't even sell our model anymore.

ETA: here is the thread. I will try to tag it.

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...highlight=Sony

The cat in my avatar is my sweetheart named Bonkers
sherry7899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 04:10 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Thanks, Sherry. The one Ardnas linked doesn't seem to get many great reviews. I know Blu-Ray players had trouble playing regular DVD's in the beginning, but I was hoping they had fixed that by now. And there's not much use in getting one for the WIFI capability if it's going to quit. I guess that's why some people get the cheapest thing they can find if it isn't going to last long anyway.

I'm concerned that DVD's and Blu-Ray will go the way of VHS and I was thinking I should get a back-up unit now.
Old 09-06-18, 04:27 PM  
marki64

I just got a Blu Ray w/ WIFI. It has a great picture but I do miss the timer and it takes a little while to load before getting to you tube. Funny, I now see how slim and fit Cathe, Kelly, etc. are. My old dvd player made everyone look about 20lbs heavier.
marki64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-18, 05:02 PM  
sherry7899

I checked our current blu ray player, and the display shows the time passing counting up, not down.

A friend of ours bought a blu ray recently. I have to find his email where he told us which one he bought. I will post if I can find it.

Old 09-06-18, 05:49 PM  
ardnas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddj View Post
The one Ardnas linked doesn't seem to get many great reviews.
I noticed that before it was purchased so we purchased locally so it could be returned easily if any issues and to avoid getting a Chinese knockoff, refurbished, or used one on Amazon.
It is still going strong - no problems or issues, used daily to watch Prime/Vudu and DVDs.
Old 09-06-18, 11:07 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardnas View Post
I noticed that before it was purchased so we purchased locally so it could be returned easily if any issues and to avoid getting a Chinese knockoff, refurbished, or used one on Amazon.
It is still going strong - no problems or issues, used daily to watch Prime/Vudu and DVDs.
Do you ever use it for YouTube?
Old 09-06-18, 11:08 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
I checked our current blu ray player, and the display shows the time passing counting up, not down.

A friend of ours bought a blu ray recently. I have to find his email where he told us which one he bought. I will post if I can find it.
Thanks, Sherry.
Old 09-06-18, 11:22 PM  
sherry7899

Quote:

Do you have Amazon Prime? They have a free you tube app. I can use that since Sony stopped supporting the you tube app on our blu ray player.

I just set it up so we can watch Paul McCartney 's live streaming concert Friday night

Old 09-07-18, 06:32 AM  
ardnas

Quote:
A few times before it was removed.

Tags
blu ray, blu-ray, blu-ray player