Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-08-11, 12:24 PM  
dianestjohn

Pure Barres are all alike!

OK, it has taken me until my 7th Pure Barre workout to finally figure this out - I have the original, 17th Sts., Pershing Squares, and just purchased the Lowry Lofts - I suddenly realized the are all sequenced almost EXACTLY THE SAME WAY with no variation, and she even says the same thing over and over again. ("Welcome to your Pure Barre workout..." "If that foot is not available just leave it down...", "Move into your split stretch", " Pure Barre is the fastest most effective way to change your body...") It's like she follows almost the exact same script, and the only things that change are the equipment used. It seems like the "warmups", which I really would call upper body work, are almost identical in each workout. I am wondering if she considers the sequencing crucial to getting results, or if it's just the way she likes to structure her workouts.

I have really liked all the Pure Barres, and still do, but I really wish there was some variation, last night it started getting to me. I really like the moves (even when I am suffering through them ) but I would love it if they were done in a different order sometimes and if the script for each one was a little different.
dianestjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 01:10 PM  
juberann

I stopped buying them after the second series because I had noticed the same thing. Carrie is like the Leslie Sansone of Barre workouts her DVDs are pricey and if you have to buy the cheap eqipment she uses, there are even more expensive. I fell out of Barre "love" awhile back but I never was a fan of Pure Barre to begin with but I totally understand where you're coming from
Old 07-08-11, 01:10 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

This is why I like variety. I don't notice things like this because I do barre workouts from different instructors. That's also the reason why I do different cardio and weight workouts. I don't want to memorize any cardio routines, what instructors are saying, etc. Unfortunately, I do memorize things like this sometimes but it doesn't bother me as much when there is a big break in between.
Old 07-08-11, 01:27 PM  
lfcjasp
Exchange Moderator

Which is why I kept only the original. The production values may not be stellar, but it's a darn good way to torture yourself...sorry, Carrie, I don't need the scenery/cast changes enough to buy more of the same.

Sometimes it's just too hard to improve on a great original.
Old 07-08-11, 01:30 PM  
topfitmama

P57 also calls the UB work the warm-up. Maybe it's a Lotte Berk thing?
As for workouts being the same or following the same pattern, I see how it would bother you. Are the exercises different? Do they offer different challenges? That would be my concern. Many Firm workouts follow the exact same order of exercises. It's predictable.
As for instructors saying the same thing, I guess that's just what the instructor says just from watching clips of different Kari Anderson workouts, I saw that she says the same things every time. For example, "do it again" or "if you want to, lift your leg..."
Like Helen S, I like variety and that must be one reason.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 02:11 PM  
alikruegs
VF Supporter

Most barre workouts follow a similar sequencing pattern:
P57 Classic 1 and 2 do Upper Body, Thighs, Butt, Abs, Back
Fluidity, IIRC, usually does Thighs, Seat, Thighs, Seat (there is some variation with the thigh/seat pattern, but very little), Pull-ups, Flat Back, Upper Body, Abs
IBallet does Barre (usually thigh then seat), Core, Floor
Core Fusion usually does Upper Body, Thighs, Seat, Core
I think the major difference between variety and non-variety in barre workouts has to do with the moves themselves. I don't consider the same move with a new piece of equipment to be a new move. This is perhaps the problem with Pure Barre. I'm not a fan of Pure Barre, but that's because I don't have many of the dvds. I never got into Pure Barre because they seemed too pricey to me. They have often been more expensive than many barre workouts, and the ones with a comparable price-range (e.g. P57) have much better production values.
Old 07-08-11, 02:22 PM  
alisoncooks

I like the Pure Barres well enough. (Following Bar Method, they're my favorite "brand" of barre.)

I have kept Pershing Sq. 2 and Lowry Lofts 2. I DEFINITELY feel a person doesn't need both Pershings or Lowrys or 16th Streets....wayyyyyy to similar. Heck, they're all so similar across the board, I agree...but I like changing it up with the different equipment/set.

I probably would've kept one of the 16th St. but I found the figure-8 loop uncomfortable to use. I'm still interested in the ones that are coming soon...especially since I already have a lil' weighted ball and no workouts to use with it.
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pure barre