Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-11, 03:02 PM  
unfetteredpast

I just did Split Sessions lower body yesterday and did something unhappy to my lower back. I don't know if it was the weighted leg press (where you are lunging with the your upper body over the front leg) or the deadlifts (where you reach the weights forward and back as you shift the weight back into the heels). I didn't care for the the squat move where you inwardly rotate the knee -- what is that supposed to do, anyway?

I liked the band work, both standing and floor.

I did Split Sessions upper body earlier in the week and I liked it. Yes, some of the moves seemed jerky, but I modified what I didn't like and ended up with some pleasant DOMS that are still here two days later!

Overall, I liked the upper body mix much better. I don't know if I'll ever do the lower body again.

How does Split Sessions compare to her other weights workouts? I was thinking about getting Muscle Definition and/or Weights. Are they similar?
unfetteredpast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 03:08 PM  
momofcha

I just got my first KCM DVD the other day - the new split sessions. I haven't done it yet, and now I'm not sure I want to....

I know all workouts aren't for everyone. The reason I haven't done it anyway is I'm not sure it's for me... I will give it a shot though before I trade it

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 03:12 PM  
nyskier
VF Supporter

Have any of you tried P90X? Like Tony or not, I always find his form to be good.

I just started using KCM, so can't comment yet, but I can tell I will be making modifications.
nyskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 03:27 PM  
cherimac

I love KCM and have no problems at all with her stuff. But, other workouts have not agreed with my body to the point that I just don't do them. And the workouts get rave reviews for fantastic results. We're all individuals so don't worry about it~I don't think Kelly will go bankrupt.
Old 05-12-11, 03:30 PM  
turbo1

I like the SS upper body (with my own modifications on some moves) SS lower body caused some lower back stiffness and soreness that was not a "good" soreness, don't know if I"ll do lower body again. I got rid of Bootcamp because many of the moves made my knees scream! I really like TLC though!! I prefer Kellys cardio and not too impressed with wt DVDs.
I think when instructors get "creative" with wts, it can be dangerous if a person doesn't know how to modify.
Old 05-12-11, 03:32 PM  
mtnmom

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
I just did Split Sessions lower body yesterday and did something unhappy to my lower back. I don't know if it was the weighted leg press (where you are lunging with the your upper body over the front leg) or the deadlifts (where you reach the weights forward and back as you shift the weight back into the heels). I didn't care for the the squat move where you inwardly rotate the knee -- what is that supposed to do, anyway?
My two modifications for the lower body work are for the squat and deadlift sections. I work out on carpet and didn't like rotating my leg during the squats so instead I alternate lifting up one heel without the twist.

For the deadlifts, I raise straight up and down (kind of like a slow pulse) instead of swinging the weights back and forth. My lower back is happier that way.
Old 05-12-11, 05:07 PM  
Gibbee
VF Supporter

I find that regardless of instructor I just have to modify an exercise or 2 or 3.... even with Lauren's options I have incorporated some modifications in SS and other workouts and that's ok.

Here's some of what I have done - beyond the obvious following Lauren OR lowering the weight (no law says you have to match Kelly or Cathe or Amy or anyone!):

Lower Body:

rocking deadlift: replaced with a slow-count stiff-legged deadlift

Squat/deadlift/lunge combo: (tried this today and it worked nicely) squat/squat/lunge OR squat/lunge/lunge (alternating leg or same leg) OR squat/static lunge (2 in place)... this way you won't feel so rushed like you might with the 1/4 deadlift option.

Upper Body:

Upright rows: replaced these with either bent-arm lateral row (The 3 up/1 down is different than the previous lateral arm rasies) OR I have also replaced these with seated rear dumbbell flyes (much lighter weight of course) to hit rear delts.

Overhead triceps extension: replaced with lying French press at a slower pace (so you get 8 in instead of 12... or you hit the pause button)

Triceps dips: lying triceps press with dumbbells (I LOVE this exercise)

Overhead shoulder press: changed the arm position or subbed another exercise

Ab work: If you don't like the standing abs, sub in kettlebell swings or floor work abs or other exercises.

You can also do the following things:

flat bench instead of incline

change weights each set (no law says you have to use the same weight for set 1 and 2)

change angle of exercises... Example: biceps curls (whatever type)... switch these up with different biceps exercises (whatever type/angle/count)

As I get older and (hopefully) wiser, I have been more flexible in making a workout work for me. Before I ditch a DVD, I see what I can figure out to make it work and make it different, especially if I enjoy the workout.

STS Graduate
MET-Rx 180 Graduate
Gibbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 08:38 PM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrb04 View Post
I always wanted to tell you that you have the sweetest avatar!
Aw, thanks. I that photo...one of those rare moments when they aren't fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurajhawk View Post
You gotta recognize what works for you. Kudos to you for doing that, Alison.
Thanks & I agree. Too bad I didn't recognize it a little sooner...

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisysunshine View Post
It's okay Alison - that's why I'm getting rid of all that I have too. REALLY like Kelly, REALLY wish it worked for me, but it just didn't.
Well, I'm glad it's not just me being pre-menstrual or something, LOL. I *do* like KCM a lot...but oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfetteredpast View Post
How does Split Sessions compare to her other weights workouts? I was thinking about getting Muscle Definition and/or Weights. Are they similar?
I used to Muscle Def. I'm talking, like, did it 1-2x a week for a long stretch. I tried it again recently and couldn't get into it; more of those "creative" moves that just didn't feel right to me. (Perhaps I've been ruined by more straight-forward weight work recently...)
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 08:44 PM  
Joni O
VF Supporter

Having never liked anything of hers, for some reason I ordered SS. Haven't tried it yet.
Joni O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-11, 03:25 AM  
bearcatfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbee View Post
(no law says you have to match Kelly or Cathe or Amy or anyone!):
Isn't that in the fine print of the FBI warning we all skip over?

I did wonder about the knee-turn in the squats section - that's a good idea, to just lift the heel on one leg.

A lot of barre stuff bugs my lower back, so I've pretty much given up on that. It's a bummer to have to give up someone or something that you otherwise enjoy, but there's always a chance that a workout might work for you in the future.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, split sessions