Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-12-11, 10:54 AM  
alisoncooks

I've come to a conclusion about me and KCM...

...as much as I want to make it work, it just doesn't.

I like:
the sets
the wardrobes
the modifications shown
the background exercisers
Kelly's personality!
her friendly smile & banter
the 30-minute format
Oh, heck, I like just about everything there is to like!

But there's is something about KCM's weight moves that seem to tweak my body uncomfortably. Maybe it's her creative approach to classic moves, maybe it's her incredibly strong shoulders (and mine aren't)....but even using my best form and reasonably light weights, I always end up with something *sore* (and not in a good way).

Anyway, Split Sessions confirmed this for me this week. The lower body workout is good (but I've got sooooo many lower body workouts). My hope was for the upper body workout... For one, I had to swap out my weights WAY more than KCM. Not a biggie. But even working carefully (and with comfortable but challenging weights), I've got a sore shoulder this a.m.

Oh, well...some things just aren't meant to be I guess. (I do still love NYC, but that's about the only one I've kept).

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade or lovefest but I figured I'd offer a dissenting opinion, for those that might be on the fence and have had similar experiences...

NO OFFENSE, KELLY, I'LL STILL KEEP MY EYE OUT ON FUTURE OFFERINGS!
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 11:26 AM  
PhyllisG

I have watched KCM clips over and over and read all the positive posts. In short I have tried to like these workouts but every time I watch the clips I am aware of KCM's form and feel like she is "jerking" the weights when lifting. It just doesn't seem smooth. So I have avoided these. I think I can understand what you are talking about just from viewing the clips. I too like everything else about the workouts just not the form or maybe the style of lifting.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 11:40 AM  
lrb04

Hi Alisoncooks, so sorry that it is that way for you. I have been doing her workouts for last 2 weeks and have not had that experience. I actually feel pretty good. I rarely lift more than 10 # for her workouts. I don't lift heavier than 15# ever. I once did and I had a back issue for months. It good to get dissenting opinions and I hope you all the best in your exercising. Injury free! I always wanted to tell you that you have the sweetest avatar!
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 11:45 AM  
laurajhawk

You gotta recognize what works for you. Kudos to you for doing that, Alison.

I got a nasty feeling in my knee after doing the lower body work from Split Sessions a couple of times - paying closer attention, I realized that Kelly turns her feet out during a lot of the LB work, and I was doing the same, but it didn't feel very natural. I noticed her background exercisers don't do it, and when I stopped turning my feet out, my knee quit feeling tweaky. Moral of the story: don't automatically change your technique to match each instructor! You gotta find what works for you.

"Don't say 'I can't' ... say 'I presently suck at this thing.'" - Matt Meese, BYU Divine Comedy
laurajhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:02 PM  
KathAL79

Kelly does have a few tweaks that don't need to be made; the example that comes to mind is the twisting deadlift in one of her 30 MTF workouts (Boot Camp? Muscle Definition?), which is a no-no for anyone with back issues. Lauren at least shows the straightforward version.
And Kelly's form isn't perfect. I don't think she's purposefully or deliberately using bad form, but she does things in a way that feels comfortable to her. She's an athlete and competitor turned group fitness instructor, not someone with a degree in exercise science or physical therapy, so that's where she's coming from. (See the difference between someone who's learned kickboxing from gym classes vs. someone who came to kickboxing after learning karate.)
Those "jerking" moves are supposed to be explosive lifts, but she doesn't seem to get enough oomph behind them to demonstrate that clearly. I'm thinking of the shoulder press move she does in the upper body Split Sessions; that's actually a push press, but she tries to take the lower body out of it as much as possible, which kind of defeats the point of the exercise as a push press. I'd either make it a true push press, using primarily the power in the lower body and to some extent also core to push the weights up (this means doing more of a mini squat than Kelly does), or make it a straight shoulder press.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:08 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathAL79 View Post
Kelly does have a few tweaks that don't need to be made; the example that comes to mind is the twisting deadlift in one of her 30 MTF workouts (Boot Camp? Muscle Definition?), which is a no-no for anyone with back issues. Lauren at least shows the straightforward version.
That move is from 30Min Weights.
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:10 PM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
That move is from 30Min Weights.
Thanks, Lucky Star!

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:12 PM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

You're welcome, and I thought what you said makes a lot of sense (re: Kelly's background).
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:20 PM  
daisysunshine

It's okay Alison - that's why I'm getting rid of all that I have too. REALLY like Kelly, REALLY wish it worked for me, but it just didn't.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-11, 12:53 PM  
mtnmom

I love Split Sessions, but I do many modifications to it. You have to do what works for you. Even if that means doing another workout entirely.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, split sessions