Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-15-11, 10:26 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Just did TLC Boxing

Just finished the boxing section of TLC. There are 2 warmup options, a regular and a "quick" one -- I did the regular. Then I added 1lb weighted gloves for the workout. I loved it and had a lot of fun!! There were several interesting combos and nothing moved too fast (the speed drills are in the conditioning workout) but I felt it! It seemed over before I knew it; next time I'll do one of the premixes that add to the length. I think this workout is great for many levels. Beginners can do their best, while intermediates and up can wear weighted gloves and put more energy into the moves. However, on its own this probably won't be challenging enough for advanced VFers, who may prefer to add the conditioning portion (or parts of it through the premix options). This definitely ain't Insanity or Peak 10, but then that's not what Kelly's about!

I thought Kelly's cuing was fine. She sets up the combos beforehand, cues in the beginning and then you just repeat the movements. I LOVE that she doesn't repeat the cues over and over (which I find monotonous and boring). The music was good and suited the moves well. Kelly has the best form (and her usual bouncy energy!), but I really like that she has Sam and Lauren in the background; they represent real people to me as opposed to the fitness models one often sees. It's like working out with your girlfriends.

The workout ended with a cooldown, after which I added the separate stretch segment which was about 5-6 minutes and nice. Could've been longer, but then I probably wouldn't do it as often.

I previewed most of the conditioning workout. Lots of 1-minute drills for upper and lower body and looked pretty darn challenging. I'm looking forward to trying that the next time this DVD comes up in my rotation!

For those who might be interested, I don't believe I heard a single "HAH!", nor were there many (if any?) "C'mon!"s -- not that these ever bothered me but I know some people found that tiresome.

Great workout -- I feel refreshed and like I just exercised with a good friend!
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:30 AM  
KathAL79

Thanks for writing up your thoughts so quickly!
I'm looking forward to trying this and Split Sessions next week.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks for the review! I'll try it tomorrow if it arrives!
Pat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:37 AM  
alisoncooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
For those who might be interested, I don't believe I heard a single "HAH!"
Aw, too bad. I like KCMs "HAH"s . They're cute.

Thanks for the write-up. I'm interested in this one again. I've been doing Cathe's KP&C a lot lately and am enjoying the punching...
alisoncooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:40 AM  
Vee

I am going to miss the HAH too. Thanks for the review Gina.
Vee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:45 AM  
caligurl

can't wait to get mine! i'm hoping it comes today!!!!!
it is NOT against the rules to say DIET on this forum!
-----
"VFers have a right to post negative opinions about an instructor,
and there is not a limit on the number of times they do so".
- WWWendy

-----
"...no matter how unpopular you perceive your opinion to be, we guarantee you
are not the only one here who holds that opinion, and you should feel free to express it."
- WWWendy via forum guidelines
caligurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:53 AM  
CarlaShanti

Aww, I love 'HAH!', 'Come on' AND 'Ya gotta mean it!'

Can't wait to get this one.
CarlaShanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 10:55 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
Just finished the boxing section of TLC. There are 2 warmup options, a regular and a "quick" one -- I did the regular. Then I added 1lb weighted gloves for the workout. I loved it and had a lot of fun!!
I had the exact same set up as Lucky, so I'll just quote that part of her post for background.

I really enjoyed this workout. At the end, I thought how totally engaged I was during the workout. And, consequently, the time just flew.

She does several combinations through the 30 minutes. She started with the simpler combinations and generally got more complicated as she went. Several combinations, she put together the first part and then added another part on once that was learned.

I thought the music was appropriate and motivating. For those that really love good music, you'll probably think it's just okay or worse. The last song as you are going through the most complicated punching combination sounds Caribbean and/or made me feel like I was in "the islands". It was different, and I enjoyed it.

I followed Lauren less this workout because there was less high impact. I didn't notice, but she probably modified less. When you are standing and punching, there isn't as much impact. But, there were several times when her modifications came in handy.

I will probably at least look at the conditioning section next. I look forward to trying the premixes!

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:14 AM  
Lucky Star
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alisoncooks View Post
Aw, too bad. I like KCMs "HAH"s . They're cute.
Yeah I know. I love 'em too but as I recall some VFers... don't.

Just thought I'd point out that along with the usual 200 or so premixes Kelly has a segment called "Flipup/Pushup". Simple setup: Kelly's doing pushups (on her knees b/c she doesn't know how many she'll have to do), Lauren's doing crunches (you could sub other ab work I'm sure) and Sam is doing squats. Kelly flips over playing cards and they each have to do as many of their respective exercises as each card's value. A simple but creative add-on.

I love when Kelly flips over several 7s and 8s in a row and mutters "Where are the 2s?!"
Lucky Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-11, 11:15 AM  
bearcatfan

I only briefly previewed this one, and could have sworn I heard at least one "hah." I remember because I thought of Caligurl when I heard it, lol.

Tags
kcm, kelly coffey meyer, kelly coffey-meyer, tlc, train like a contender