Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-21-18, 08:07 PM  
OSusanna

My si joint locks. I’ve done chiro but it won’t stay unlocked. This year I did 5 weeks of pt but mostly found that what I was already doing was the right thing, but there will be pain with a locked joint. I have not found a reason for it and no real preventative at this point. The pt did teach me how to attempt to release it but I’ve haven’t been successful yet on my own. Right now I can tell that it is locked but for 2 days last week it wasn’t. Arthritis maybe. ?
OSusanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 08:41 PM  
MsThistlebottom

Reporting on Save Your Lower Back: I Joni-O'd it.

She talks way too much and says at the outset that she's just going to demonstrate the exercises and then you can do them at your own pace. Well, no--I bought the DVD so I could follow along, not do them later at my own pace. So I was annoyed right from the get-go, and the overly loud, weird cartoony music in the background, which was not at all relaxing, was the last straw. When she got to one-legged bridge, which I cannot hold for more than a few seconds anyway, I yanked it.

So then I did the two floor sections from Tracie Long's Platinum Fitness and then this YT video, minus the bird dogs, clams, and bridges at the end because I had already done them with Tracie.

I forgot to mention earlier that soaking in a nice hot Epsom salt bath always helps to soothe whatever's tight and sore.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-18, 09:55 PM  
Vantreesta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsThistlebottom View Post
Will do! I'm embarrassed to admit that it's been on my shelf since 2013, and I don't recall ever trying it.
I won't even count how many I have like that! Thanks for the feedback on it and saving me money. I agree about Epsom salt baths. Besides my known SIJ triggers mentioned earlier, I would also have random flare ups but those are pretty much gone since I started taking Epsom baths about three times a week.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 07:21 AM  
Diana3271

Last night I did the Focused practice for Low Back and Sacrum Therapy from Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow.

Has anyone went through all the sections on this DVD and saw improvement in the lower back overall?

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

10 Pound Slimdown Xtreme Graduate 02/12
Insanity Graduate - I actually survived!
LM Combat 02/13
21 Day Fix Survivor! 6/14

Diana
Diana3271 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 08:16 AM  
boakley
VF Supporter

I've dealt with SI Joint and piriformis issues for many years. I've been working with a manual physiotherapist since June and it is feeling better than it has in years. He identified a weakness in my obliques and a tightness in my quadratus lumborum as underlying causes. The oblique work he has me do involves very subtle side to side movements. Any time I have tried traditional side crunches, my QL gets tight and the hip/back pain comes back. I'm continuing to work on that, keeping my hips mobile, and I sit on a balance cushion when sitting at work. My piriformis and SI Joint issues are non existent for now

Beth

Tom Petty
boakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 09:36 AM  
Vantreesta

Diana, that DVD has been in my cart forever too. What did you think of the practice you did last night?

Beth, I have been considering trying a balance disc in my chair at work. Maybe I will go ahead and try it.
You don't have to be fast, just keep moving forward.
Note to self: You don't get to complain about things you won't work to change!

Word for 2024: Accomplished; Word for 2023: Grounded; Word for 2022: Consistency; Word for 2021: Mindfulness
Vantreesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 11:10 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Yoga for Stress Relief

Barbara Benagh's Yoga for Stress Relief (2006) has a specific section for SI pain.

http://www.videofitness.com/reviewsd...ew.php?id=3214

I don't have SI issues, but I do get occasional hip pain. Her SI routine has been very helpful for that.

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-18, 12:07 PM  
Diana3271

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantreesta View Post
Diana, that DVD has been in my cart forever too. What did you think of the practice you did last night?

Beth, I have been considering trying a balance disc in my chair at work. Maybe I will go ahead and try it.
My lower back feels better this morning. I still have a problem but it is better. But I am now hurting mid back. I think this is from overcompensating from the lower back pain. A vicious circle, right? LOL

I have an apt on Friday with a Chiro. We'll see how that goes

I also have the Barbara B. for Stress Relief that has been mentioned. Both of these DVD's have been helpful for me in the past. I don't ever plan to get rid of these because you never know when something's going to happen. LOL

You can fight it, or do what you've got to do to get it done. The choice is yours. ~Diana

You have the rest of your life to get old. Stay young, as long as you can. ~Diana

LM Combat 02/13

Diana
Old 08-23-18, 02:40 PM  
bee
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer R View Post
I never did KCM workouts, but for me what kicked off sciatica and piriformis syndrome was regular FIRM tall box work with 15 lb dbs (30 lb total) Now I NEVER do that, and don't have the sciatica or piriformis symptoms either.

I found a nifty little routine that is magic for me, from the book "3 minutes to back pain relief" or something like that. Every day, in this order, for at least 30 seconds each:

Child's pose with arms extended in front of your head
Cobra, concentrating on NOT clenching glutes
Cat/cow, alternating EXHALE when contracting, INHALE when extending
Malasana (deep squat, doesn't matter what your foot position is, can elevate heels if needed)
Upavistha konasana (wide-legged pose, can bend forward or side to side, whatever feels best)
Baddha konasana (cobbler's pose) with spine straight or bent forward, whatever feels best.

Not in the prescribed routine but I usually do 30 seconds at least of downward dog after this because it feels good.

It sounds so simple but really made a difference for me. Haven't been to the chiropractor in years!
Jennifer, thanks again for sharing this here! I've done it a few times since reading your post and I do believe it is helping me when I thought pretty much nothing could!
bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-18, 08:40 PM  
Diana3271

I went to the chiro yesterday. He has some exercises that he's wanting me to do. This DVD is more in line with the stuff the Dr. recommended that I do. There are some differences, but there are more similarities than differences. Focused practice for Low Back and Sacrum Therapy from Viniyoga Therapy for the Low Back, Sacrum & Hips with Gary Kraftsow

LM Combat 02/13

Diana

Tags
bulging disc, kcm, kelly coffey-meyer, sacroiliac joint, si joint, si pain