Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-12-13, 12:37 PM  
Sollamyn

Unfortunately , after reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I really need this set. I've been doing Weight Watchers for the past several weeks and have finally lost a few pounds (about 12, actually, so far), but I haven't noticed a big change in my body composition because I've been more focused on diet than exercise lately. My pants and belts are starting to feel too big, but that's about it. Plus, I'm 54 and have some joint issues that aren't really too bad but I do have to be careful. That being said, does anyone know if the foam roller that came with Karen Voight's Sleek Essentials will work with this set? (I've already ordered, btw, so don't you dare try to talk me out of it! )

Donna
Old 12-12-13, 02:13 PM  
Cecelia

I don't know anything about the one that came with Sleek Essentials. I ordered this one from Amazon:
http://http://www.amazon.com/OPTP-Pro-Foam-Roller-Marble/dp/B002C9MSAC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1386875126&sr=8-1&keywords=foam+roller+soft
I browsed some helpful threads here about foam rolling and ultimately decided that I better start with a softer one, because I heard that you could potentially hurt yourself when foam rolling over bony parts of the body (like the back) if the roller is too hard. I stupidly foam rolled my side ribs once when I was supposed to be foam rolling my lats...and man did it smart, because there's no layer of fat or muscle there to protect you. Now, I sometimes wish I had a harder roller, but so far this one has worked well for me.
I did look at a clip of Sleek Essentials using the roller and I'd go ahead and try it. If you aren't happy, you can buy something else.

Last edited by Cecelia; 12-12-13 at 02:14 PM. Reason: mistake in link
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 05:06 PM  
Sollamyn

Thumbs up

OK, thank you!
Old 12-12-13, 06:43 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I completed phase 1, and half of phase 2 and had to quit due to the recurrence of a chronic foot issue. Some of the moves in the metabolic workouts contributed to that recurrence.

I found the squats to be hard. Rachel squats almost all the way to the ground. I can do Cathe squats with a barbell on my back 'til the cows come home, but the D2S squats were hard. I also found the balance moves with weights to be a little off putting. If you have balance issues (I do) lifting weights while bending over on one foot is next to impossible. You also have to lighten your weight load when balance is involved so this program isn't strictly a heavy lifting program.

I disliked the RAMP warm-up. I like a choreographed warm-up better, but that's just a personal preference.

I liked the core work, especially in the first phase. It really strengthened my core.

I plan to do it again, but this time, I will do it my way with modifications that suit me. I will probably alternate the workouts with traditional cardio rather than the metabolic stuff.

It's a good program, but you have to make it suit your needs. I also agree with making the rotation a bit shorter if you get bored. There is no law that says you absolutely must do each phase for a month. It's better to move on rather than quit.

As for dropping two sizes, that's mostly caused by following the diet IMO.

I have both the dvd set and the book. They do not always agree, but I was glad I had both.
Old 12-12-13, 07:19 PM  
Cecelia

Quote:
I found the squats to be hard. Rachel squats almost all the way to the ground. I can do Cathe squats with a barbell on my back 'til the cows come home, but the D2S squats were hard. I also found the balance moves with weights to be a little off putting. If you have balance issues (I do) lifting weights while bending over on one foot is next to impossible. You also have to lighten your weight load when balance is involved so this program isn't strictly a heavy lifting program.
I called these "ass to the ground squats." I was not used to doing them and found them quite hard. Also, once she starts in with holding the weight on one side and squatting, I found that my right side was much stronger than the left. In the long run, I felt I was able to correct this inbalance a bit, but you're right they are hard.

I too have balance issues and felt that the program improved my balance.

I also agree that it isn't strictly a heavy lifting program, but more a program that burns fat.

I still use the core work from this program as I felt I gained a lot of core strength.
Cecelia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-13, 10:41 PM  
Getfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollamyn View Post
Unfortunately , after reading this thread, I've come to the conclusion that I really need this set. I've been doing Weight Watchers for the past several weeks and have finally lost a few pounds (about 12, actually, so far), but I haven't noticed a big change in my body composition because I've been more focused on diet than exercise lately. My pants and belts are starting to feel too big, but that's about it. Plus, I'm 54 and have some joint issues that aren't really too bad but I do have to be careful. That being said, does anyone know if the foam roller that came with Karen Voight's Sleek Essentials will work with this set? (I've already ordered, btw, so don't you dare try to talk me out of it! )

Donna
I use mine during sleek essentials.
Old 12-13-13, 08:36 AM  
jerebo

For those who deed this set, how long did it take to get it? I received shipping confirmation on December 4, and still haven't received anything. I guess they sy five to ten days, so I shouldn't worry until tomorrow...
Old 12-13-13, 10:35 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerebo View Post
For those who deed this set, how long did it take to get it? I received shipping confirmation on December 4, and still haven't received anything. I guess they sy five to ten days, so I shouldn't worry until tomorrow...
I'd go ahead and give them a call if you can find a number on their website. This time of year, all kinds of things can happen to packages.
Old 12-13-13, 10:54 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
I also found the balance moves with weights to be a little off putting. If you have balance issues (I do) lifting weights while bending over on one foot is next to impossible. You also have to lighten your weight load when balance is involved so this program isn't strictly a heavy lifting program
I agree it's not strictly heavy lifting by any means. I don't think it's meant to be. But personally, I find one legged balance work crucial for myself. I don't believe one legged balance work is meant to develop big strength so much as it is for developing stability, and I have no qualms whatsoever about dropping to light weight or no weight at all while progressing in them.

I also lightened up a lot while developing the ATG squat, and again have no qualms about doing so, as I felt that it was important to develop the available range of motion first, then worry about load. That said - once the muscles learn to fire from that position, you can certainly start loading up.

And then, of course, you never have to go ATG if it's not safe for your spine, hips, or knees.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-13, 11:10 AM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

No ATG squats for me, thanks! I'd be modifying any other moves that are not nice for my body. I have some injuries to work around.

Also, I have no interest in any of the cardio workouts in D2S. I have plenty of low impact, high intensity workouts I can do.

And while we're on the subject, I never read the diet/nutrition plan books that come with any of these sets. I'm just not that in to cooking, meal-planning, or recipes.

My main goal is to rebuild strength that I have lost over the past year or so.
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
d2s, drop 2 sizes, foam rolling, rachel cosgrove, ramp warm-up, warm ups, warm-up