Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-16-13, 08:34 AM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
Today I started week 2 of phase 2, and I did strength 2. This afternoon I put on my jeans from last fall for the first time and they are so tight in the legs. My thighs feel massive. I'm wondering if I should just go back to the barre :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genevieve M View Post
This swelling thing is intriguing to me...maybe I haven't pushed myself enough recently to experience this.
Key information:

Duration
[I]Muscles begin to swell about two hours after exercise. Swelling peaks on the fourth day, then gradually subsides, returning to normal seven to eleven days after a workout. .
Emily, given the information Genevieve provided, are you able to tell whether your thighs feel big because they've actually grown muscle after several weeks of training, or it's the transient swelling phase mentioned? Because if it's actually muscle, and you don't like it, then possibly those really are the results of the program, and the program is not suitable for your own expectations and goals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue B View Post
The phase 3 RAMP is nearly identical to the NROL for Life RAMP. For me, it greases my joints, gets my heartrate up (almost like a mini-cardio segment) and gets me ready to lift.
I ended up buying the D2S book because I was getting dead bored of the NROL RAMP, which doesn't change throughout the phases. I used the phase 1 RAMP yesterday and it did make a nice change. It is certainly similar in overall feel so it makes a good sub in.

I balked initially at doing that much stuff before lifting (Core performance and Strong Curves do similar things) but I've become a convert, because even if I don't particularly LIKE it, I agree that it's great preparation, and even more important, as you say, for - erm, mature joints.

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 09:08 AM  
MKEMom

I've definitely experienced puffiness in the thighs with this program, and it was probably at its worst at the beginning of Phase 2.

I'm in Phase 3 Week 2 right now and feel like I'm starting to "deflate" a little bit. But, I've been doing more cardio on the off days and really focusing on drinking enough water and not eating at night (my personal downfall). I tried the diet the first week and I was hangry, so I haven't been following it.

I'm going to finish it to see what happens. I like the aesthetic results I'm getting. I knew I wasn't going to drop two sizes going in, so for me it was about trying a different style of lifting, which I've really come to enjoy.
MKEMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-13, 01:10 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I think my "massive thighs" are a combination of swelling and muscle growth. I do tend to build muscles easily in my lower body, but I think they were particularly big that day. In fact, my husband will tell me that he likes the way I look better when I focus on barre-type training since I can tend to get bulky with heavier weights. I just wanted to try this program because I was feeling like I wasn't really focused with my barre workouts and needed to try something different. I would love to add more cardio in, but with four kids and a job, I'm squeezing this in already. I do extra on the off days from D2S (like walking or barre), but not too much extra. I'm going to stick with it and then move on after I'm finished the rotation.

I really enjoy the program and want to like the results. I don't have the book to follow the diet, and honestly I have a tough time following any certain eating plan because my life is just so busy, it overwhelms me to think about having to eat a particular way. I try to make good choices, track on My Fitness Pal, and drink lots of water. I know the results would be better if I followed the diet exactly, but I'm willing to forgo the amazing results and not be stressed out because of the eating plan. I'll settle for ok results I guess! Just don't want my pants getting tighter
Old 10-22-13, 03:56 PM  
yahoo205

I have two more strength workouts to finish (phase 3 strength 1 and strength 2 only 1 more time each). I still also have to do the cardio. Since I've been doing 4 sets for the last 2 weeks (i/o 3) I'm getting some major dread.

I still think I may continue this 1x a week and use it as my heavy strength. I'll either do 1x/ week (hopefully 4 sets) or do it twice a week but only do 1/2 workout (4 sets).
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-13, 11:35 PM  
yahoo205

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahoo205 View Post
I have two more strength workouts to finish (phase 3 strength 1 and strength 2 only 1 more time each). I still also have to do the cardio. Since I've been doing 4 sets for the last 2 weeks (i/o 3) I'm getting some major dread.

I still think I may continue this 1x a week and use it as my heavy strength. I'll either do 1x/ week (hopefully 4 sets) or do it twice a week but only do 1/2 workout (4 sets).
I FINALLY finished the strength part. I still have to do phase 3 cardios. I hope I keep up with it though I haven't lost any weight or decreased in size. my butt is definitely higher and rounder, but still need more work on that. I hope just doing one full body strength workout per week will be sufficient. I am going to try to do 4 sets though instead of 3.
yahoo205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-13, 11:48 AM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

I didn't drop any sizes, but I definitely had a noticeable improvement in my core strength. I could probably have gone heavier on some of the exercises, but my heaviest dumbbell is 20 lbs.
Old 10-30-13, 02:37 PM  
Emily B
VF Supporter

I'm halfway through the last week of phase 2, and I'm much happier now. I don't take measurements, but I do notice my clothes fitting better. I never expected going into this to drop two sizes as I knew I couldn't commit to the eating plan, but I have noticed my core is definitely in better shape (i.e., my muffin top has decreased), my legs feel more solid, and my butt fits my pants better. Overall, I just feel less squishy!

I have been doing minimal cardio, and I am happy that I can maintain and actually even improve my body (although just a little improvement) by doing such little cardio. I have arthritis in one of my feet which makes extended cardio such as walking, running, step, dance, etc. have a dread factor, and I get tired of the never-ending cardio with no results. This is the first time I have been so committed to a program since my early 20s when I was working out at the gym lifting heavy all the time. I always get distracted and move on to something else, but I really wanted to follow the workout plan as closely as I could so I could see if this would work for me. I know I could have gotten better results if I had followed the diet (and possibly done more of the RAMP and foam rolling), but I am much happier this week than I was two or three weeks ago. I definitely feel that the swelling has gone down. I really like Rachel and this approach to lifting weights.

Now my question is what to do after this?
Old 10-30-13, 03:01 PM  
Jane P.
VF Supporter

If you follow a strict eating plan, almost any fitness rotation will show fat loss results. While I think D2S is a well designed program, I don't think it's a miracle plan.
Old 10-30-13, 03:54 PM  
Sophie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily B View Post
I never expected going into this to drop two sizes as I knew I couldn't commit to the eating plan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane P. View Post
If you follow a strict eating plan, almost any fitness rotation will show fat loss results. While I think D2S is a well designed program, I don't think it's a miracle plan.
I'm not sure, but I think Emily was implying that she wasn't following the strict eating plan? I may have misunderstood.

in any case, I'm glad that the program seems to be working better for you now. I have observed similar things in the past - going through a bit of a size increase before things turn back around. It seems fairly common.

I too have been pleased to find that when I'm pressed for time, I do OK with focusing primarily on strength, followed by short metabolic workouts. It's not that I don't like steady state cardio - I do - but when I'm short on time I will shift the priority to strength work, with outcomes that I'm happy with.

If you like this overall approach, then you might enjoy other programs with similar styles - the NROL series (I'm doing NROL4L right now), Strong Curves, Core Performance. They tend to have overlapping philosophies. I just got one of Nia Shanks's programs and I'm thinking of doing that one for the spring.

Or...wait, did you mean paper, or DVD workouts?

be as relaxed as you can be, as you do what you gotta do.

~erich schiffman
Sophie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-13, 05:11 PM  
starbelly

Rachel also designed the Spartacus workouts for Men's Health. They are on sale for 50% off, but I don't know what the regular price is.
starbelly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
appetite, cosgrove, d2s, drop 2 sizes, drop two sizes, full body strength, metabolic, rachel cosgrove, water retention