Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-22-11, 04:08 PM  
beatchica

Weider X-Factor: ST / 8-wk Bodyweight Only Program

So this is the first thread I ever posted reviewing a workout, so please bare with me.

I ordered X-Factor: ST online via Wallmart after reading a brief VF post about it. I was a bit nervous ordering it since I could not find any online reviews or detailed information covering it. Unlike the original VF poster, my DVDs arrived scratch free. I just did the week one workout and I enjoyed it so much. I previewed all the DVDs and I feel like this will be a series that I can stick with.

The program is 8 weeks long and uses bodyweight only exercises. It comes with perfect push-up like rotating push-up stands. There are 8 DVD's, one DVD for each of the 8 weeks. Plus 4 bonus DVDs, 20 min yoga, 15 min glutes and thighs, 10 min abs and a 20 min total body blast. There is a DVD that contains all the print outs for the program, which include a day-by-day nutrition plan with grocery list and recipes, workout tracking sheets and a workout calendar.

You perform the X-factor circuit on 3 non consecutive days and on the other days you will do cardio of your choice, plus there is one rest day. The workouts clock in between 30 to 40 minutes each, including warm-up and cool down. The warm-up and cool down are the same on all the DVDs, but surprisingly it does not seem too repetitive. I like the length of the workouts as you get a lot of work completed in a very short amount of time. I feel like the time will fly by and there seems to be a low dread factor as the moves are fun and nicely sequenced together into a good flow.

Each workout is total body and hits EVRYTHING, including core. Since the routine is non-stop it has a decent cardio effect and there are a good amount of bodyweight cardio moves in each routine. The workouts are circuit style; each circuit is made up of several exercises, each exercise is performed for 90 seconds. The circuit is repeated again for a total of two rounds. The instructor (Nahesi Crawford) is friendly and he is very motivating, the background exercisers, two men (no shirts but does not seem weird) and one woman, are great (not annoying) and you can see that they are really working hard. There is a modifier in each workout and although the routines can be modified for lower impact, they are still very challenging and tough. The workouts take place on a P90X style set. I think they were going for a rugged, industrial space / gym type of look. There is a music off option, the music is pretty much in the background and seems to go just fine with the moves. I would rate the production values on this series as high, the one draw back is there is not a count down timer, which would have been a good edition.

Each circuit includes a good variety of bodyweight exercises, such as, lunges, hip bridges, push-ups, burpees, supermans, planks, shadow boxing, plyo, fast feet, one leg squats, crunches, mountain climbers, one leg pushup jumps (surprisingly easy to modify) and sumo squats and jumping jacks. Each week introduces progressively new and harder bodyweight exercises.

I would describe this series as a less "insane" version of insanity or a less daunting GSP Rushfit style routine. I also like the fact that the workouts are very easy to modify. For example, if you wanted to do the plyo moves on your rebounder you could and all moves can be easily modified to be low impact. If you wanted to kick it up a notch you could incorporate gliding disk for the lunges or wear a weighted vest or weighted gloves. The workouts do not require any equipment and have a very small footprint (they take up hardly any space to do) so they are compact and can be easily done anywhere.

I have been very frugal this year in my DVD purchases, but I am happy that I bought this system as I think I will get a lot of use out of it. I am a variety junkie when it comes to working out and I think that these DVDs will keep me busy for a while.

I feel this would be a great routine for those (like myself) who want an intense workout, but not over the top. You get a good, heart pumping workout without feeling beat-up. My goals presently are to keep toned and maybe get a little more cut and I think that these workouts will definitely get the job done!

Below are pictures of what you get with the system.

beatchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 04:16 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

You did a great job for your first review. It sounds like a great program.
Old 09-22-11, 06:12 PM  
ADoll

Thanks for the review! Would you say it is intermediate or more intermediate-advance?
ADoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:13 PM  
pattyd0319

I saw this at Target the other day but I don't remember the price. Great review.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:30 PM  
KellyMarie65

Are there any clips of the workouts?
KellyMarie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 06:37 PM  
T2B

Oh, no, this sounds interesting. Is it similar to Supreme 90?

What is the music like?

joy, love
peace and patience
kindness with goodness
faithfulness & gentleness
self-control
- Motivational Sticker

Now: XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating (Generic) 7/22/22 - 10/24/22
Peak Fit System: 6/3/22 - 7/21/22 *** STS/LIS 90 Day Undulating: 11/19/21 - 2/12/22 *** 6 Week Fusion XTRAIN: 5/17/21 - 6/27/21 *** Body Beast: 12/21/20 - 3/18/21 *** STS: 1/29/20 - 5/3/20 *** Fit Tower/LIS/ICE/ 90 Day: 10/29/19 - 1/19/20 *** XTRAIN 90 Day Undulating: 7/29/19 - 10/25/19
T2B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 08:46 PM  
Paine
VF Supporter

Nice review! Thank you.
Paine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-11, 09:20 PM  
IrishOT

This sounds right up my alley! I am also wondering if they are high intermediate/advanced? Also, do you think this is something that could be completed along with mid-distance running. I do several half marathons a year, so am in eternal "training mode" and typically run an average of 30-35 miles a week. I am currently doing a S90 rotation with half marathon training, and really like the combo! TIA
IrishOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 08:14 AM  
lingo10

Sounds interesting. I hope to try it.

FT25 Alpha, Beta, Gamma Grad 4/14
Insanity Grad 8/14
Insanity Max 30 Grad 3/15, 2x Grad 11/15
Current Programs/Workouts: Caroline Girvan's Iron Series & Other Mixed Workouts.
lingo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-11, 09:19 AM  
pattyd0319

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishOT View Post
This sounds right up my alley! I am also wondering if they are high intermediate/advanced? Also, do you think this is something that could be completed along with mid-distance running. I do several half marathons a year, so am in eternal "training mode" and typically run an average of 30-35 miles a week. I am currently doing a S90 rotation with half marathon training, and really like the combo! TIA
I was thinking of what would be good to add to my running rotation. I'm training for a metric marathon (16.1 miles) and running about 25 to 30 miles a week. I know I need to add some strength training & currently squeeze in 1 total body workout a week. I was thinking of S90 as Tom Holland is big on running marathons and is a long term avid runner. I notice s90 has a lot of core work and moves that benefit runners but I was worried about the pacing and intensity depleting my glycogen too much and finding the time. Do you take a break during race week? Has your performance improved?

I'll be keeping an eye the X-factor set. It does look like it would go well with running and it would be nice not to have to drag out a bunch of weights for once.
pattyd0319 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
body weight exercises, hunky guys with no shirts, nahesi crawford, weider, x-factor st, x-factor xt