Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 08-04-20, 07:53 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Pahla B's Chair Cardio and Strength followed by Strong Women/Strong Bones plus my PT stretches.

Deedee, we must have posted at the same time yesterday. I didn't see your post until just now. I'm starting to see more hummers in my yard too - don't know where they have been. My bird bath on the back patio is not getting any action - up until a week ago or so there was a bird in it most of the time. So not sure what the cycle of things is for birds.

Anita, Glad it's cooled off some for you and Gus. It sounds like Zoom participation is the way to go with these toxicology meetings if you had more attendees than would come in person. Great that it will be in your city next year - COVID premitting. None of us really knows what next year will look like.

Laura, glad the bands of rain are done. My brother said he got over 5" at his house and I think he lives pretty close to you. So that's a heck of alot of rain!! At least my California standards where drought and water conservation is SOP. Fall isn't cooler here most years. In fact many years September and October are very hot. The worst wildfires we've had have been in October because the foliage is dried out from summer heat and we get the Santa Ana winds - add a spark and fire spreads so fast it's astonishing.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-20, 09:48 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Today's workout was another premix from Party Rockin' Step #1. I'm really enjoying these. I can't believe how challenging they are. I'm just using the step topper. I guess I'm really deconditioned. I don't know if I got all red-faced because I worked hard or because the workout room was 80 degrees. (That little cool down from the rain didn't last long.) What's really helping is that I never did these workouts much. By the time they came out, I was growing tired of step workouts. That makes them fresher for me now.

I saw footage on the news of Isaias' devastation. It's pretty awful. And just the first storm of the season.

Paula, my birdbath is getting plenty of action. We have a doe who is drinking from it regularly. She was here today. There was another doe who came by later with her fawn, but they were skittish and took off quickly. I don't know if the first doe is getting used to us or is just less skittish. It had been quite some time since we'd seen any deer.

Anita, I'm glad you enjoyed the zoom meeting. I think many people are discovering that zoom meetings can work well. Maybe they'll utilize them more after COVID.

Laura, I'm glad you didn't have any damage from the storm. My mom has had trouble sleeping lately because of the wild weather systems we've been dealing with. She was always our weather barometer. Not an enviable gift.

Sleep well, everyone.
Old 08-05-20, 08:23 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus, doing some painting of my backyard shed, putzing around, and enjoying the last of these nice cool days. I did some patch painting of the shed yesterday, just little areas that had peeling paint. I'll do one low board that gets into the grass today to use up the rest of the can of paint (not much). I'm hoping this will patch me over till next year or year after that to do a thorough painting of that shed - I last painted it 5 years ago, so kind of unhappy to already see peeling. Tonight I have another senior coop meeting with my friends over Zoom.

Laura, some of the broadcast news showed awful areas of damage due to the hurricane - hope you just had a heavy rainfall. I at least did wear a nice T-shirt for the Zoom business meeting!

Paula, yeah, I've seen news footage of the fires in the hills in CA - seems close to the Los Angeles area. How awful! Do the fires affect where you can fly your plane these days? I'm not optimistic that Covid will disappear the day after elections or something like that - it'll affect a lot of people next year also. Sounds like MN will be a test area for a vaccination for that virus starting probably next year.

Dede, I'm very deconditioned also, can't even try to do a step workout these days. I do sit down about 3-4 times in a 1.5 mile walking route with Gus - sometimes because I'm breathless after a hill, but mostly it just helps to enjoy a few breaths without pain while sitting. This park has deer in it also - Gus smelled them and got all excited, but we didn't see them yesterday.

Waves to all (from >6 feet apart!)!

Anita
sciencelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-20, 09:03 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, it's amazing how quickly things run down. We're on our third deck in eleven years. I keep hoping each new one will last longer than the last, but they dont.

Today's workout was XTrain Burn Sets Chest, Back, and Shoulders. I also did a new-to-me qi gong workout, Qi Gong for a Healthy Heart. Because I was basically previewing as I went (just to make sure the disc wasn't defective or anything), I did the extended version. There is an extended version (51 minutes), a long version (36 minutes), and a short version (24 minutes). I can understand the long and short, but extended? Anyway, I will probably never do the whole thing again. That's too long for my brain to hang in. Plus, my arms got tired. (He is constantly waving them around). And my feet got sore. (I don't think he moved his once!) But I did get very relaxed. I nearly fell asleep near the end. (I kept thinking I would fall over.)

I bought several qi gong and tai chi DVDs from that sale, so I hope to be doing them in the days to come. Again, just to make sure they aren't defective. I don't know why I bought them. I like the idea of those practices, but I never commit to them long-term. Just more clutter.

I have been dealing with a weird rash on the back of my left hand for about three weeks. I thought it was due to dryness from all the hand-washing I've been doing (although I couldn't understand why it would only affect one hand). A couple of days ago, I looked at it more closely and started wondering if it might be poison ivy. It has itched some, but nothing like what DH dealt with. I've been pondering going to the clinic. It's just that I've spent so much time in that building in the last couple of months, I'd like to take a break. I'm using antibiotic ointment to soothe it. I tried topical steroids for a while, but it only seemed to bother it. The fun continues, eh?

Everyone sleep well.
Old 08-06-20, 08:24 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on walking Gus, and doing more putzing about the yard and house. I did get the shed painted, used up that paint can! Also was able to fix a piece of my outdoor bench top by being able to reach the misaligned part with my cane. I just don't climb ladders any more . I might mow my yard today before it gets super hot this weekend.

Dede, I can't imagine building three decks in 11 years - my deck has stood at least the 20+ years - not sure how soon they put it in since 1972, when the house was built. I do end up restraining it about three times in 11 years though - hope it makes it till next year for that. If I were to rebuild it, I'd consider the plastic wood appearing slats not needing restaining the next time. I've not tried qi gong - we do have some episodes playing on public TV that I could try. Hope your rash resolves!

Anita
Old 08-06-20, 05:35 PM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

Tuesday night I was getting ready for bed and was flossing and the crown right in the front of my mouth flipped right out. It's over an implant, and I was concerned about getting it put on. My dentist's office is closed on Wednesdays (of course they are!) and I insisted that they find a way to get it back in yesterday instead of me waiting until today like they wanted me to. So, I went to another dentist yesterday who covers for my dentist when he is closed. With all that drama and with feeling off, I didn't do any exercise yesterday.

Today I felt fine and got back to normal. DH and I went for a walk this morning and then I did a Gina B YT cardio and strength workout. Today is my parents' 60th anniversary. Their neighbor makes fancy cakes, so I ordered a lemon cake with lemon curd and she delivered it to them this morning. We went over this afternoon and spent some time with them.

Paula - We heard we got around 3.5 inches. We're not really sure though because it rained overnight and by the time we got up it was over.

Anita - Good idea on the no ladders policy. You used up a paint can? I don't think we've ever done that!

Dede - I hope you figure out what that rash is. It is irritating when it seems like it should be easy to treat and nothing works.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-20, 06:09 PM  
ddj
VF Supporter

Anita, we didn't build three decks. The first one was here when we got here, but it rotted pretty quickly. The next one we built using fake wood, but it warped. If you remember, we just had it redone around the beginning of the pandemic. This guy said the problem was the foundation (or base, or whatever you call the bones of a deck), and used some of the salvaged planks and bought some new ones. It's already starting to warp.

I'm concerned if this rash turns out to be poison ivy. I read something on webmd that said not to use antibiotic ointment (which I've been slathering on as it helps with the dryness and cracking). I'd say I'll be in the clinic in the next day or two. It's been three weeks. Whatever it is, it should be gone.

Laura, I assume the rain didn't cause flooding? I'm wondering how Sherry is. I've heard that many in NJ lost power and it's not back on yet. I'm glad you got your tooth fixed and are feeling well today.

Today I did Cathe's Fit Tower Advanced: Legs, Glutes, and Core (minus the squat sections. My knee is much better, but I don't want to push it.) Then I did Qi Gong for Better Balance. I'm happy to report that this one doesn't have an extended version. I did the long version (to make sure the whole disc is okay) and it was only 36 minutes. I liked this one better than the one I did yesterday.

I went out to fill the bird bath, and there was a purple finch sitting on the edge of it. He didn't fly away. We looked at each other for a minute, and I said hello and told him I wish I had brought my phone so I could get his picture. Since it didn't appear he was going anywhere, I set down the pitcher so I could go get my phone. And then he flew away. A couple of days ago, I had just hung one feeder and was getting ready to hang the other when a nuthatch started fluttering right beside me. He then flew off to a nearby tree. That's not the first time that has happened. It's like they see the feeder but don't notice me until they're right beside me. They're a hoot.

They are breaking ground across the street for a new spec house. This one will block our view of the pond.

Everyone have a good evening.
Old 08-06-20, 08:23 PM  
Paula
VF Supporter

Good evening. Workout this morning was Rael Pilates System 17 then Yoga with Adriene, Yoga for Wrist Pain.

Deedee, when my husband was working he was in charge of changing out the wood benches and decks on the campus to the "new" fake wood planks. He told me they had to put many more support stringers in, every few inches, because otherwise the fake wood quickly warped in the sun. I'm sorry your second "new" deck is warping all ready. How sweet to see a doe and fawn drinking from your birdbath.

Anita, I don't do ladders either and I don't use a cane. I never did do step workouts because when they first came out my knees couldn't take it. We flew today and didn't see any smoke or fire. Showing my ignorance here, but I don't know what Qi Gong is.

Laura, I hope your folks enjoyed the cake - 60 years, whew. We're going to have our 50th next year and I can hardly believe it. Been there, done that with lifting a crown off with floss. I'm very careful when I floss now. Cute story of the birds checking you out at the bird bath. I've had that experience a couple times with hummers just hovering by my face and checking me out - it's fun.
Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-20, 06:55 AM  
sciencelady

Good morning!

Planning on working at the WRC this morning, walking Gus, and putzing - today should be a hot and humid day!

Laura, oooh ow! Losing your tooth crown is a main event! I assume your old crown got refitted back in- glad you were able to get in to his substitute! My dentist extends his days off also... Congratulations on your parent's anniversary! Wow! I only had about an inch of 5 year old paint in that can, so wanted to see if it could still be used - it was and now is gone!

Dede, if I ever use the fake planks, I'll have to make sure my supports are close enough to not have that warping! Cool that those birds come up to you to thank you for their food and water! I've seen people using camera lenses attached to their feeders - I see that as your next present to yourself!

Paula, Qi Gong is a meditative form of martial arts - you do a coordinated routine working on your balance and breathing - you're not hitting anyone. I've not been greeted by birds in my back yard, but I do at the WRC aviaries when I go in to feed them. Congrats on your 50th anniversary coming up!

Anita
Old 08-07-20, 06:56 AM  
Laura S.
VF Supporter

I have a lot to do today. I want to film a couple of episodes for my YouTube channel today. Before that, I want to exercise. DH needs me to cook for him today and I really need to go to the grocery store before the weekend. I'm not sure how I'll fit it all in and we'll see what happens. Fortunately, I slept well last night, so I'm not dragging.

Dede - It's neat when things like that happen with the bird. It makes me smile imagining it. I think based on the general area where Sherry lives that she should be okay. She's not near the short.

Paula - Yeah, they really liked the cake. Apparently, the lemon curd made it really good.

Laura's Workout Mantras:

Something is better than nothing
The best workout is the one you will DO
Laura S. is offline   Reply With Quote