Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > Challenges and Check-ins

Old 12-28-20, 02:13 AM  
fanofladyvols

Dana I totally know that feeling. What was the verdict of the Lite metabolic...did you like it?

Carol is JVs membership something you would use enough for the price? I can't say I remember there being much of a price break for a long term commitment. Maybe if it opens just do a short term try. Have you tried that door barre yet?

Donna you're really doing a great variety! Is this part of your plan to plug in different types of workouts during the day?

My family surprised me with kettlebells for Christmas..I didn't even ask for them. I don't even know how they found them at a store! They never get me fitness gifts without my input. So I'm trying to learn how to use them. So far they're fun. But I'm extremely cautious because I'm afraid of hurting myself.

Good week wishes to all!

Never give up on your body!-- Miranda Esmonde-White

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
fanofladyvols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 08:41 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

FYI - Jessica Valant has opened her membership again through Thursday. I think I will subscribe for the year - she is about half the price of Smriti's membership for the year.

Linda - who knows if I will use it enough to justify it? I have enjoyed her YouTube offerings and like the variety. And I let my Pilates Nest subscription lapse for now, although I suspect I'll re-subscribe at some point. I've not yet used the Door Barre - not currently on a barre workout kick... Enjoy your kettlebells - you might check out Lauren Brooks' DVDs - her book, Kettlebells for Women is pretty good.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 09:04 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Today I went old school - and did:

Charlene Prickett - Oxygen In, Calories Out - Workout # 1 - this is classic Charlene low impact aerobics. There is still nothing quite like it - maybe Pahla B is somewhat close - but she managed to get the HR up w/out impact and w/out "walking"....this one was filmed in an old theater turned nightclub, so it didn't have the lovely setting of her outdoor workouts, but it was better than the white background that she started using toward the end of her filming career. Anyway,last night I was on a kick of watching older workouts from the 80's/90's (inspired by the Jane Fonda thread!) and then I stumbled across a channel on You Tube that has a playlist of some of Charlene's Series 17 shows...

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...4oH08oA/videos

And, then that got me digging through my VHS tapes...

Also, my SI joint is a bit wonky and I didn't want to do an indoor walking workout since that can flare up the SI joint and also DD and I are planning an outdoor walk for this afternoon since it is going to warm up.

ANYWAY...it was fun to re-visit Charlene and I have this half-crazy idea of a back to basics January - following along w/ the Series 17 playlist - the schedule is:

Monday - Low Impact
Tuesday - Strength
Wed - Step
Thurs - Strength
Friday - Step

And then on Sat/Sun I can do wildcard days. M-F I can add on yoga and/or Pilates as well since the workouts are only 30 min.

But we'll see if my interest holds out for that long.

I also did:

Barbara Benagh - Yoga for Stress Relief - SI joint practice. This is a good one and one I have neglected since getting so into finding yoga on You Tube.

So - back to basics January???

Carol - I was going to say that Jessica has opened up her membership. I do enjoy it - there is enough variety for me to not get bored and for some reason her workouts just make me feel good. It is also easy for me to fit them into whatever else I'm doing, so that is a plus, too.

Enjoy your Kbells, Linda.

Hope everyone has a good day.

Also - speaking of retro things - I learned about Pluto TV which is free streaming TV - and there are a lot of retro TV shows on it from the 70's/80's...I must be in a nostalgic mood.

Take care,

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-20, 11:31 AM  
fanofladyvols

Carol I saw the email from JV the yearly price is cheap enough that even if you just used it twice a month it would be worth it. I can see why you're tempted!

Word/Guiding Principle for 2024: Embrace: embrace my faith, my family, my friends, myself, the process, the progress, the hard work, the strength program I choose, the recovery methods and rest I need, my life, the good times, and the memories of good people.
Old 12-28-20, 04:14 PM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofladyvols View Post
Dana I totally know that feeling. What was the verdict of the Lite metabolic...did you like it?
Linda, I really like LITE Metabolic Blast workout. It was fun, the right combo of UB & LB moves with medium weights, and just intense enough for me to enjoy it and not kill myself. I'm pleasantly sore today but nothing too extreme.

Carol, I think I will subscribe to Jessica Valant to try it but only for 3 months. I wish she offered free trial like most other instructors do, but she doesn't. I also don't like this "join now or you won't be able to until mid-year 2021". Not very customer friendly. I really enjoyed her youtube workouts but I also have ePilates membership that I like, and Emma's annual membership cost is the same as Jessica's. Plus Emma goes out of her way to accomodate her members which really makes one feel "special". But I'm curious about JVP so I'm going to buy a 3-month membership to try it.

Mary's New Year's sale has started and I picked up 3 DVDs. So, I boxed up 60 and have 3 new coming in. Sigh.....

Rest day for me today. I ran some errands and now I'm laying around with Basil by my side. He likes that.

I'll check in tomorrow. Waves to Donna, Brenda, Cheri and Christine!
Old 12-29-20, 08:59 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Good morning!

Gina B Circuit Walk 2 - UB and Bonus 12 min Standing Abs - 40min
ePilates Total Body Mobility Class - 21min.

Gina's class was upbeat and time flew as usual and ePilates Mobility class felt divine! Loved it!

We're going to run some errands this morning before some kind of weather event rolls in early this afternoon. As usual, the Weather Channel gives you 3 prediction models that differ significantly and pretty much tells you to pick one. So, we can get snow, rain, ice, all or nothing and whatever it is, it may be trace or up to 5". Whatever.

Waves to all! I hope everyone has a good day!
Old 12-29-20, 09:05 AM  
donnamp

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday my DD and I took our long walk which was nice - the weather was cooperative, too.

Today, so far, has been:

CS 1229 - an all standing routine

Charlene Prickett - Strong at Any Age - Workout # 1 - this is one of those workouts that I did not appreciate when it first came out (I guess early 2000's??? Not sure when it came out - but it is on the white set and Charlene is w/ her daughter, Xanna in this one) b/c it seemed to slow and "boring" - today it seems just right - it is kind of like Physical Therapy - but in a good way - in that you can see how these exercises may actually help your performance in doing other activities and also in reducing aches and pains. A lot of plank work and core stability.

I wanted to do some yoga afterwards, but couldn't settle on anything so I ended up w/ Jill Miller Quick Fix - 10 min quick fix for hips.

I may do a walk or some other yoga later.

Dana - I hate when instructors close membership down - it makes no sense to me at all. I guess they prey on the FOMO. And, LOL, on the weather predictions - it is the same things here - usually the time to worry is when they tell you it will all be fine, LOL!

waves, everyone....

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 09:38 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Monday's workouts were

Pahla B - Simple Sweat - 25 minutes;
Pilates Nest - Rise & Shine Retreat #1 - 16 minutes

Man oh man, Pahla was on a roll with this workout - she was talking so much she forgot to cue the next move several times. It didn't really matter much because it was 20 seconds of walking and 20 seconds of a low impact cardio move, but it was funny.

Donna - Nice job! I loved Charlene, but I never understood the white set business. I thought it was awful and disorienting. I also never understood why she didn't put the entire Season 17 and Season 18 on DVD - I would still be doing them if she had. I know some episodes made it to DVD, but they took out the cover for the breaks, which messed up the exercises - no time to finish the other side, etc. They should have just gone straight from the VHS tapes to DVDs.

Dana - You are such a fan of Emma and ePilates, I don't think I'd subscribe to anything else right now. It will probably pale in comparison. I thought we were the only ones who got those widely varying weather predictions.

Linda - Jessica's annual price is good. I think ePilates has a similar price for the year. Balanced Life and Pilates Nest are more like $200 for the year.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-20, 10:27 AM  
Usia
VF Supporter

Re: The Weather Channel: I have it on right now and they tell me there is an "abundant" sunshine in my area when in fact it's been heavily overcast all morning. Not even peaks of sunshine anywhere! Seems the more technology they have, the less accurate their weather prediction is. I'd love to have a job where I can be wrong most of the time and still keep the job. Rant over.
Old 12-29-20, 12:22 PM  
fanofladyvols

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usia View Post
I'd love to have a job where I can be wrong most of the time and still keep the job. Rant over.
Haha Dana! your wry wit cracks me up! Thanks for the review. I had a feeling that was the metabolic that I should keep on my wishlist.

Donna we haven't had great weather for walking but that's awesome you are still having your DD join you.

Carol when those streaming services get past $140 I just balk. But it may be because I wouldn't ever rely solely on them.

Kettlebell cardio again for me. I am using youtube. I may have some workouts that use kettlebells that I ignored. I'm going to shop my collection with an eye on a Lauren Brooks dvd that looks like a good beginner. They're kind of expensive tho

Each one of you is SO precious to me

Thank you for posting so faithfully