Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-20-20, 06:13 AM  
suzannaerin

If you sew, help!

Could you experienced sewers (sow-era not sue-era) give me recommendations
for a good machine for the almost absolute beginner (last sewed in 1980, and not well). I want to make masks for the health care workers. I'm considering this one, opinions please!! https://www.amazon.com/Brother-XM270...ts&sr=1-1&th=1
suzannaerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 08:00 AM  
MsThistlebottom

I sew regularly (mostly quilting) and am a huge fan of Janome sewing machines. This one is suited for beginners.

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." -- Abraham Joshua Heschel
MsThistlebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 08:20 AM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

As soon as I saw your question, I was also going to recommend Janome. I've had MUCH more success with Janome than Brother (though Brother has an awesome serger).
Old 03-20-20, 09:00 AM  
owltx

I think I would go with the Janome over the Brother. I have to say, though, you will find both MAJOR improvements over your old one. I was astounded at the difference when I got a new one, and that was ten years ago!
Old 03-20-20, 12:14 PM  
sillygirl

Check out www.patternreview.com. There’s a forum just about sewing machines. But beware you may end up with more than one and spending more than you first anticipated. Being a fellow vidiot - reading this forum and Pattern Review is how I ended up with several sewing machines and hundreds of workout DVDs.
sillygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 03:07 PM  
Hattie
VF Supporter

I was almost in your situation when my old Kenmore ceased up. Fortunately, my husband got it working again. I also have an old Brother I got for my summer place. I know the quality of machines has changed a lot since I purchased them. Still, I would not get another Brother if you paid me. The Brother's speed is slow as compared to my Kenmore. Also, the machine won't take a needle size larger than 14, even then it is tough to maneuver a 14 into the slot.

I was told by Sears that my Kenmore was actually manufactured by the Janome company. If I should get another machine, I would definitely look at Janome. Also, if at all possible, I would try to find a place where I could try it.
Old 03-20-20, 03:32 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

thank you for volunteering to do this.

is there someone who could loan you a machine?

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-20, 03:33 PM  
cataddict
VF Supporter

I don't have a recommendation, as I have an ancient Kenmore that I haven't used regularly since maybe the 90s. I dragged it out about 2 years ago to do some repair sewing and was so proud that I could load the thread and the bobbin from memory!!

suzannaerin, I want to give you props for doing this valuable work! I saw a news report that NOVA was looking for people to do this with the right material. Good for you!!
cataddict is offline   Reply With Quote