Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-05, 03:01 PM  
Inchworm

So, how is it using Netflix for Fitness DVD's? How many of you do this?

I was just wondering how many of you do this. I was considering it, but wasn't sure. Is it worth it? What are your favorite rentals?

Thanks,

Kelly

Also, are there any hidden catches on this type of service?
Inchworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:06 PM  
Fante Yaa
VF Supporter

I love it

it has cured me of my incessant need to buy new vids. Now I only buy what I really want. It is great for me becuase I tend to like pretty mainstream workouts. If it is something that I'll want to do a lot or have handy all the time I buy it. But if it is something that will only be good for a specific rotation, I can just Netflix it.

Also, in an earlier thread, Wendy informed us that you can set up different profiles. So now I have one just for my fitness DVDs set for up for 1 DVD at at time out of my 3.

~~~Yaa~~~

"The solution comes up every day."
2006 Workout Challenge 4/219
Fante Yaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:08 PM  
chelbell

It's okay, not great

I have netflix, which I love for movies, but it's difficult to use for fitness dvds. They just don't have that much that I like. If you are into Tae Bo or Denise Austin, you are in luck. You will find no Cathe there. Also I've noticed that shipments are taking longer and longer. In short, it is worth getting the occassional DVD, but I wouldn't say to sign up for NetFlix just for the fitness DVDs. I actually wrote to them asking them to get more fitness DVDs.
chelbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:13 PM  
Fante Yaa
VF Supporter

I don't know how responsive they are

but there is a form to request titles. I don't think I've requested any fitness DVDs (maybe Cathe Basic Step & Body Fusion), but I know I requested the new Fraggle Rock DVD . I can't imagine why they don't have it.

***If I return a DVD on Monday, I get my new selection by Wednesday. This seems to be luck of location or something.***

~~~Yaa~~~

"The solution comes up every day."
2006 Workout Challenge 4/219

Last edited by Fante Yaa; 02-08-05 at 03:39 PM. Reason: adding info
Fante Yaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:25 PM  
carolb8

I use Netflix,and I like it because I do a lot of yoga, and they have a broad selection of yoga dvds (pilates as well, which I'm not into). They have a modest selection of other fitness videos, not a great selection. Blockbuster is much better. I used to get excellent turn-around time with Netflix, but as someone above noted, their turn-around time has gotten worse. I sent back a video last Tuesday, and haven't gotten anything back yet (although I do think it'll be in my box today). We have three people in my household, and we're on the Netflix 3 dvd plan, so each of us has their own queue, and their own video out at any given time. If I were doing it just for fitness, I'd probably be considering switching to Blockbuster.

Also, I've noticed that a lot of Netflix yoga dvds seem to live in California, so while there is a Netflix warehouse in Massachusetts near where I live, a lot of my choices get sent from CA, which takes forever.

Carol
carolb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:25 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

It's ok. They don't have the greatest selection, but I have tried several that I was glad to have not wasted money by purchasing. The best part is that you don't feel like you need to do the workout the minute you receive it, and you can do it several times before sending it back.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:27 PM  
sheepla
VF Supporter

I absolutely love it. I get the dvds overnight and so have very quick turn around time. They have alot of dvds that I've wanted to try and being able to get them through Netflix has saved me a lot of money because I can quickly determine whether it is something I would want or not.
sheepla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:43 PM  
Thanya
VF Supporter

I don't have netflix but just subscribed to blockbuster online. I'm still on the free trial period. The turn around time has been great. They got my returns within a day and send out the dvds on the list right away. The fitness selections are also pretty good. I like the idea of two coupons per month for locally pick up as well.
Thanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:48 PM  
AnnieQ
VF Supporter

I was happy to see DVDs there that I want to try before I buy--the new Kathy Kaehlers, George Foreman, the Gaiam walking one. But they are all pretty mainstream--if you can buy them in Target, they'll have them. They aren't going to have Cathe or Spinervals and I wouldn't really expect them to, just as I wouldn't expect Target to have Cathe or Spinervals.
AnnieQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-05, 03:58 PM  
gypsyqueen

Thumbs up Tried both Netflix and Blockbuster with free trials and

went with Blockbuster. Netflix had more videos that I wanted to try, but not as many fitness videos overall. Blockbuster has more, cost 3 bucks less a month and they give you two coupins for 2 free videos a month from their stores in case you want something immediately. I've decided to stick with them. Their turnaround time is about the same as Netflix as far as I could tell.
Also, I sent them a list (yes a LIST) of fitness videos to buy for renting and they "said" they would get them. I think what they do first is just list them for search purposes and let people rate them before they buy them. So I noticed all the ones I wanted are in there now and I think its awesome.
Some firm, Karen Vought, Billy Blanks, Meena Lessig, Kathy Smith, etc... No Janis Saffell, but I requested her and now she's on their rating list!

So I think it's great for the "try before you buy" concept or if you think you'll only do certain ones once in awhile. I sent them a letter/email telling them that fitness mags are saying they rent videos for workouts and that they should make sure they supply a lot of them because this is going to be a very special and $$$$ market for them.
I think they're listening