Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-18-17, 06:14 PM  
BunnyHop

I just picked up the new Robin Hobb from the library! Can't believe they had it so soon, or that the hold queue was so short.

Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.
Old 05-19-17, 05:45 AM  
casey

Bunnyhop so jealous. I requested the new Robin Hobb book two weeks ago at my library (before it came out) and I'm still waiting. :-( She's one of my favorite authors.
Casey
casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-17, 09:45 AM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by casey View Post
Bunnyhop so jealous. I requested the new Robin Hobb book two weeks ago at my library (before it came out) and I'm still waiting. :-( She's one of my favorite authors.
Casey
Really feeling lucky just now. I got in the hold queue while the item was still on order, and there was only one listed. All of a sudden they had three copies! Since I was #4 on the list, I really didn't have to wait long.

The book is so heavy I think reading it should count as a workout.
Old 05-25-17, 05:56 PM  
BunnyHop

Whew. Finally finished the new Robin Hobb. What a heavy book.

It took forever, I think at least in part because it's very dark and violent, which is totally not my cup of tea, especially these days. I kept putting it down and going off to do other things, but even when I focused on reading it seemed to go slowly for me. Not sure if that was the fault of the story or my own inattention.

I finished it because I am such a fan of the first book in this trilogy, but honestly, I'm not all that thrilled with the trilogy as a whole.

OTOH, the ending was good, both to wrap up the book/trilogy and as part of the larger series.

I'm still amazed at her ability to keep track of a zillion and one tiny details across multiple trilogies.
Old 05-25-17, 07:39 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

I just finished The Delight of Being Ordinary--great new book from Roland Merullo!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 06:11 PM  
ebianco
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Ebianco- my library just got "The Girl Before." I will pick it up this week. I am glad to see you liked it.
Sherry, let me know how you like it!

Since last time I read the Crown's Game, a YA fantasy about magicians in Russia. It was just okay so I don't know why I ordered the sequel, Crown's Fate, which is also just okay but it is a fast read!
Old 05-31-17, 07:41 PM  
BunnyHop

Currently reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to World Religions from the library. Quite interesting, but I admit skimming some. Mostly just refreshing my memory and enjoying the way the authors compare and contrast differing belief systems, so you can get a sense of how the various branches of the same faith are interconnected, or not.

Also reading Classic Locked Room Mysteries. It's one of Macmillan's Collector's Library, a very nice collection of little (4"x 6") hardback books with gilding on the page edges, ribbon bookmarks and complete texts, with illustrations, if that's what the book originally had. Makes a nice change from the heavy books I've been reading lately. (Even Nicholas Nickelby, though very thick, is a manageable size and weight, especially compared to the huge copy the library had.)

Oh, I forgot: I attempted to read All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders, because it won a Nebula award, but the writing style defeated me. It might be a good story, but it's not a well crafted, well edited book, if you ask me. A child-like point of view need not be quite so badly expressed.

Also, I've got the sequel to Gods of Gotham, but the darkness and violence got to me. Not sure why it didn't bother me so much in the first book, but I couldn't keep going. Will have it (library) for a while longer, so will keep it to give it another try some other day.
Old 05-31-17, 08:46 PM  
JezthePuff2

I am listening to The Forgetting Time, and I am reading The House We Grew Up In. I'm enjoying both!

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-17, 09:00 PM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Here's a list of summer reads that people might enjoy:
http://nypost.com/2017/05/26/the-29-...-the-summer-2/

I thought there were a few that sounded interesting.

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-17, 08:47 AM  
difit

Spring reading has moved to a new thread

http://forum.videofitness.com/showth...71#post2714671
difit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, kindle, spring reading