Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-15, 09:38 AM  
josephine
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherry7899 View Post
Thanks, Josephine! I am almost done with "Between The Tides." Have you ever not really liked any characters in a book, yet you keep reading because you want to know how things turned out? This book is like that I will probably read "The Kitchens of the Great Midwest" next since I can only borrow that one for two weeks.

Of course I was reading three other of my own books before the library stack came in. I had to put those aside for now.

Sherry
Sherry - That is exactly how I felt about the chick in Girl on a Train - I didn't like her at all (in fact, at certain points in the book, wish I could have slapped some sense in to her) but finished the book. Also, I am in the same boat as you - book overload
josephine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 12:52 PM  
Rivercat
VF Supporter

Earlier this week I finished Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch (the British title is Rivers of London). It's a humorous paranormal police procedural, along the lines of Jim Butcher's Dresden Files, but funnier (IMO ) and with better female characters. Will definitely read the next one as soon as I get through some others in my pile.

~~~Inaugural Star Wars Half Marathon, Jan 2015~~~

"Work your own shovel" - John "The Penguin" Bingham
Rivercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 05:38 PM  
JezthePuff2

Currently reading We Are Not Ourselves by Matthew Thomas. So far, it's decent.

~~~Well behaved women rarely make history.~~~
JezthePuff2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-15, 06:24 PM  
BunnyHop

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
Hi Julie!! I just had to comment on this because Katherine was my #1 all time favorite book back when I was a teenager and young adult. I first read it at age 15 and read it so many times after that and loved every minute of it. I haven't read it in decades and I'm really not sure what I would think of it now. Your post made me wonder if I really would love it so much now and I think I probably wouldn't. I just never hear about it anymore so it's interesting to see it mentioned again and I couldn't resist commenting.
I loved it too!

That was back in the days when I'd happily inhale Victoria Holt novels too, though, so I'm thinking none of them would stand up to much scrutiny.

Back then I could read Forever Amber and think how nice it was she had so many wonderful boyfriends who loved her so much. Gotta wonder what I missed but somehow I don't think I'll give that one a re-read either.
Old 09-04-15, 06:49 PM  
PhyllisG

I never read Katherine but I did reread Forever Amber a year or two ago and enjoyed every moment.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 07:06 AM  
Jewels5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I loved it too!

That was back in the days when I'd happily inhale Victoria Holt novels too, though, so I'm thinking none of them would stand up to much scrutiny.

Back then I could read Forever Amber and think how nice it was she had so many wonderful boyfriends who loved her so much. Gotta wonder what I missed but somehow I don't think I'll give that one a re-read either.
Actually BunnyHop I Victoria Holt's novels so who knows?! I only discovered hers a few years ago and want to read all of them.

Forever Amber is on my list too.

ETA: forgot to post:

I am reading Little Black Lies by Sharon Bolton and listening to Still Alice by Lisa Genova (I may end up reading this one). Both off to great starts!

"To the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world." -Heather Cortez
Jewels5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 08:22 AM  
toaster
Exchange Moderator

Didn't we talk about Victoria Holt last summer? Another fan here!

Follow me @YogiBethC

YouTube|Instagram|Facebook
And yes, I am Reviewer Dr. Beth on Amazon.
toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 09:00 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BunnyHop View Post
I loved it too!

I can't resist commenting again. Victoria Holt and Forever Amber were also big favorites of mine back in the day! Not sure if these would stand the test of time either, but you never know. lol
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 09:18 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer breeze View Post
I can't resist commenting again. Victoria Holt and Forever Amber were also big favorites of mine back in the day! Not sure if these would stand the test of time either, but you never know. lol
Another lover of Victoria Holt's novels, Katherine, as well as Forever Amber. Another book I loved as a teenager/young adult was The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye. I wish it would come out for Kindle!

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-15, 09:25 AM  
summer breeze
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by txhsmom View Post
Another lover of Victoria Holt's novels, Katherine, as well as Forever Amber. Another book I loved as a teenager/young adult was The Far Pavilions by M M Kaye. I wish it would come out for Kindle!

Carol
No surprise, I loved The Far Pavilions too!
summer breeze is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
audiobooks, books, fall reading, reading