Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-03-14, 04:33 PM  
stacydan

Need shoe recommendations please!

I need a good cross-training shoe that has good arch support, lateral support and absorbs impact. I will wear primarily to work out at home (on carpet), with occasional gym classes (Zumba) so it needs to pivot but also provide support for squats and lunges. At home, I mostly do Leslie, but will start going through my other dvds because they feel neglected - the FIRM, Christi, step, TurboJam, circuits, weights, etc. I’m looking at amazon and Zappos for reviews but it is confusing because one review will say “great arch support” and then the next review will say “no arch support”. I had a pair of Rykas that I really liked but after two years I wore them slap out and can’t find them anymore.

I would appreciate your suggestions! Thank you!

Stacy
stacydan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 05:38 PM  
Fitstick

I can't shop for shoes online, I need to go to a store and try them on. I like going to DSW, do you have that store in your area? They usually have a lot of great cross trainers including Ryka's. I usually buy the New Balance cross trainers but the last time I decided to try a pair of Nike's and I really like them! Shoe preference is so difficult since what works for one person may not work for another... But if you already know and love Ryka, you can find those on Zappos and read the reviews.
Fitstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 06:41 PM  
CatInTheHat

As a recovered runner and now vidiot and walker, I swear by Asics. I feel like they used to be nice and cushiony, though more recent times trying them on I didn't feel like that, but my solution is to just buy it 1/2 size larger and get some fantastic inserts. My general sentiment about shoes and sneakers is that they're all made in not-so-high-quality factories and you're better off getting some insert to solve your foot specific problem.

I learned about shoe variations because 20 years ago I had a wonderful job working for a shoe company we all know, and our shoes were made exclusively in Brazil. They were comfortable and fit very nicely. This, I learned, was because the Brazilian foot model had a slightly larger size foot than the American foot. Then they shifted production to China and the difference in quality, fit and comfort was shocking. Different foot models = different results in product. That's why I feel like almost no shoe is adequate anymore.
CatInTheHat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 06:48 PM  
amery

I am on my second pair of asics gel envigor. http://www.zappos.com/asics-gel-envi...urquoise-white
Excellent support and cushion!
amery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 08:02 PM  
kristiep

I really like the Ryka Influence shoe. Very versatile for cross-training and good lateral support. Here's where to find them on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

They've gotten pricier since I bought them. Otherwise, I'd have bought a second pair by now (even though the first pair is in great shape).
kristiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-14, 08:11 PM  
weener
VF Supporter

I LOVE Ryka's Ambition.

~~~~~~~~~
I grew up as teener weener. It got shorten to weener when a nephew was learning to talk and he just called me weener.

www.flickr.com/photos/32418450@N05/
weener is offline   Reply With Quote