Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-09-13, 10:47 AM  
lavna

Dream body or Tonique/BTM?

I’m interested by Dream body and Tonique/BTM but I don’t know which to choose!
What are the pros and cons of each one?

Can they count as cardio too or they are mostly toning?

I saw that many love the results from Dream body but complain about the pace and the difficulty to maintain good form. And they are rather expensive.

How are the instructions in Tonique/BTM? Are they voice-over instructions? (hope my grammar is OK!) Are they easy to follow? English is not my first language.

Another thing to consider is the fact that I can only workout 3 days/week (for about 75 min.) doing first cardio then strength. In that case, is it even worth to get those kind of workout? Background info.: I workout almost exclusively with Cathe (with a little HoCo – core exercises only). I guess I can say I’m an advanced exerciser.

I really don't know what to do. Help me make up my mind !!!!
Thanks!
Nathalie
lavna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 11:13 AM  
momofcha

In my opinion they are very different & complement each other. If you can't get both I would go with tonique & the original dream body. As for the pace - I do what I can & don't worry about how fast they're going. I hardly even notice it anymore.

An option for Tonique is I believe Premier is on YouTube in its entirety for you to get a feel for what it's like.

Personally for me, the dream body set is much more varied. I do add in tonique - but never in its entirety & I couldn't do it more than twice a week & would get bored of it very quickly if that's all I did.

That's my $.02

"I'm just one workout away from a good mood." ~ Valerie Waters
momofcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 11:29 AM  
lavna

Quote:
Originally Posted by shammy902 View Post
In my opinion they are very different & complement each other. If you can't get both I would go with tonique & the original dream body.
Hi Sue,

Can you explain to me what is the difference between them (I'm really ignorant: I don't even know what "fusion" means!!!)
I was leaning more towards the 5 DVDs set because from the clips I saw, the pop-up girls seemed rather distracting (they seemed to appear quite often)

Thanks
Nathalie
Old 04-09-13, 01:14 PM  
prettyinpink

Well, they are similar in that they are both cardio and body weight toning at once, with only light weights for the upper body. Tonique IMO is more intense with more of an emphasis on cardio endurance. DB reminds me more of a circuit workout, though it's not exactly that. In most of the DVDs, the exercises are grouped into segments where the first couple are harder and have the effect of getting the heart rate up, and then there are one or two less challenging ones, maybe for abs or arms, at the end of the group. Then it cycles again.

The cueing on both is good. Sylwia's counting feels less frantic than the DB instructors'.

DB is challenging but BTM is still harder, IMO. But my challenge is with endurance, YMMV.
prettyinpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 01:26 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
Hi Sue,

Can you explain to me what is the difference between them (I'm really ignorant: I don't even know what "fusion" means!!!)
I was leaning more towards the 5 DVDs set because from the clips I saw, the pop-up girls seemed rather distracting (they seemed to appear quite often)

Thanks
Nathalie
There seems to be a love/hate relationship with Dream Body - so take that into account. Fusion in this sense "fuses" together different principles. There is a "barre" workout which only has about 20 minutes of actual barre work. There is a kickbox workout. Every workout has a fantastic floor segment that slays me every time. The variety appeals to me. I don't get bored with it. It challenges me. What I get from Dream Body is a very athletic circuits. You don't use very heavy weights (only 1-2 lb - which is enough). You do plank work, ballet burpees, stability ball work. They really target the inner thighs, triceps and more sneaky - the abs.

Tonique is pretty much squats and lunges. Curtsey lunges, squats, squats with kicks - all with using your arms with light weights. I just can only do so many squats and lunges without saying "enough." That being said, I do do tonique and I love the results - but for me, it's a filler/extra workout. As I said, it's not enough for me. But that's just me.

The pace with the Dream Body is faster - but you just go at your own pace. If you can't do all the reps, don't. Their cueing doesn't bother me and they really motivate me. They know just when I want to quit and coach me to keep going. I find it very motivating.

Like I said with tonique too, I don't do the entire workout. I'm confidant that 1 1/2 hours of tonique btm would slay me, but there's no way my attention would hold for that long.

I do think if you haven't tried tonique at all, to find premier on youtube and get a feel for if you'd like it. I obviously prefer DB, but again, YMMV.

I hope this helps.

Old 04-09-13, 01:33 PM  
novadancer

interesting... I actually think DB is way harder than BTM. I'm a former dancer so my legs can handle endless squats/lunges but DB has a much higher cardio level imo. I also have seen immediate results with DB (body fat is decreasing/inch loss) while I didn't have much besides toning with any of the toniques. But every body is different! But for the record, I am 43 and gained 10 lbs upon turning 40 and DB is the only thing in the last 3 years that has shown any results (TA, tonique, slim training, etc).

Last edited by novadancer; 04-09-13 at 06:01 PM. Reason: typo
novadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 01:35 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadancer View Post
interesting... I actually think DM is way harder than BTM. I'm a former dancer so my legs can handle endless squats/lunges but DM has a much higher cardio level imo. I also have seen immediate results with DM (body fat is decreasing/inch loss) while I didn't have much besides toning with any of the toniques. But every body is different! But for the record, I am 43 and gained 10 lbs upon turning 40 and DM is the only thing in the last 3 years that has shown any results (TA, tonique, slim training, etc).
Awesome results!!! I will be 43 next week and I'm struggling with losing 10 pounds myself. Granted I need to watch what I put in my mouth - but I am definitely hooked on these workouts!

In another thread on tonique someone mentioned feeling flabby in the upper body with tonique. Again, it's all relative and only you know what will work for your body.

Good luck on your decision.

Old 04-09-13, 01:49 PM  
lavna

What is DM?

Nathalie
Old 04-09-13, 01:51 PM  
violingal3

I pretty much agree with what Sue has already posted, but I’ll share my thoughts. If you’d like to try both, I think the original DB and Tonique Premier are good places to start. I have both and enjoy them. I think each method and a nice little cardio effect aside from the toning. And although both are lower body focused, I think DB does a better job of incorporating upper body for a total body workout.

I absolutely love the new DB series – each day cannot come soon enough because I look forward to these some much! Although the DB style is very similar from workout to workout, each DVD has a unique little move or area it targets that I look forward to – so once I start one I have to do them all! They are tough, so I modify and go at my own pace, but they also have a fun factor for me.

I recently acquired BTM and Energy Mat. I’ve tried each workout a few times, and as much as I love Sylwia as a person/instructor, I just can’t zone out and get into the endless squats and lunges! I am debating returning them or just shelving them for another time when they fit my exercise mood. With Sylwia I just hang on and hope the reps are close to being done (which seems forever), with DB there is some light at the end when they start to count you down so you can rep it out. I still like first Premier workout the best – I think it covers the best of all the squat and lunge variations, the reps aren’t as endless as BTM and the floorwork has got you covered, too.
violingal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-13, 02:10 PM  
momofcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavna View Post
What is DM?

Nathalie
I'm assuming it's a typo and she means DB.

Tags
born to move, dream body, dream body fusion, tonique