Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-09-11, 08:10 AM  
daisysunshine

For me personally - well topfitmama kind of hit it - Suzanne is starting out, so they will be a bit different than how they would be say a year from now. How Ballet Body differs from Suzanne's is that these seem to be straight Lotte-Berk style-ish things, which a core concentration (when I did them, I did feel my core working - though truth be told, I can't say yes! it's because of this dvd, or no! it is not).

Ballet Body for me, was challenging from the get go, even in the beginning workouts for me they just work harder, it wasn't something you saw every day. So while they were "Basic" looking they weren't "basic" doing if that makes sense?

And I think i'll leave it there. What's good for me, may not be good for other people, and you could really enjoy both, or like one better than the other.

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-11, 11:30 AM  
Renae21

I totally agree with what Daisy said. I want to add that I do get Ballet Body (BB) and Suzanne's downloads and sometimes I like the "lighter" and shorter approach that Suzanne has. BB's segments used to be 10-12 minutes, but now the downloads are double that and sometimes that's too long for me if I'm trying to get a whole body workout in. If I'm doing a split, well then the long workouts would be ok. I do find BB to be harder but that could partially be because they are longer. Maybe Suzanne is just trying to get the basics in and will really hit it when the next plank workout comes out (for example). I, for one, will continue to get her downloads because it isn't that expensive per month and I really like her.
Renae21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-11, 01:40 PM  
topfitmama

Standing Abs and Legs: This one is a killer leg workout where you will be holding a 2nd position plie and plie squat for minutes at a time.

- You warm-up with classical barre knee lifts, knee lifts twisting the waist and taking the opposite elbow to the knee. Then go into a second position plie and pulse down and up to warm-up your legs.

- Still in second position, you will stretch your arms out straight and do what look like ribcage isolations using the obliques, two sets of 8 to each side.
come out of second position for a couple seconds break, shake legs, back into second position plie.

- Now reach to one side, kind of like a standing mermaid. Suzanne calls them arm sweeps. You do one side then the other, 8x slow, 8x faster, some more pulses down and then up in second plie, and you get a short break to shake your legs (you will need these breaks!)

- Go into a plie squat, reach arms out straight and from there you reach down to the opposite ankle, kind of like the pilates saw, twisting your waist and pulling back up. 16x each side.

- Reposition and stretch arms out straight ahead, pull back bending elbows, stretch arms out to the side pulling back, bend elbows and push back out straight ahead while pulsing in your plie squat position. This move, she says, is to work small back muscles. I sure felt it! I think you do 16.

- Stand up, shake legs and go into parallel hip-width appart, sit back into your hips a little as if preparing for a one-leg squat, pull abs in and lift one bent leg using your abs. 16x on each side, resisting both on the way up and down.

- Back into second position plie, pull in abs and do pelvic tucks front and back, 8x slow, 8x faster.
- stretch.

My legs were shaking and my waist was sore the next morning.
topfitmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-11, 05:43 PM  
topfitmama

I did three today that I hadn't done before:

- Upper Body Chisler:
- You start in a full plank hold for a minute (I think), down to knees, stretch briefly.
- Back up to plank, pick up a weight with one hand and work shoulders and back lifting weight up to shoulder and back. 16 each side
- Set of small 1 inch up, 1 inch down pushups
- Back to plank, pick up weight and go into a side plank, lift arm with bent elbow (90 degrees) slowly up, slowly back down, working upper arm and back. 16x each side
- another set of pushups.
- Short stretch and into reverse pushup position. 16 pushups, short break, 32 more, done at a faster pace.
- Stretch.

This workout was hard on my wrists. Suzanne offers modifications.

- Thin Thighs Fast II: Parallel thigh work and seated chair. Ouuuuuch!!!!
This workout is holds and shifts to hold again for approximately 10 minutes.
Basically, you alternate between holding in seated chair, lifting toes and shifting weight to the heels and balls of your feet, to parallel thigh on your tippytoes. She even has you transition slowly, so you get it right and feel the burn a little more. It burned allright!

- C-curve: this is one of the earlier workouts with improved sound. Still not as sharp as thin thighs 2, but better than thin thighs 1.
This workout is basic C-curve work, focusing on proper form and practicing getting into the positions properly. You will need a small squishy ball or a rolled-up towel to place between your knees to help activate the core by squeezing the inner thighs.
Exercises include:
- slow rolldown in C-curve and back up,
- roll down and transition arms from holding legs to resting on elbows
- roll down bringing head to the floor, and lift legs up to table top. Squeeze ball.
- Lower and lift legs in table top position.

I would say this is a very good instructional workout to get the hang of C-curve.

Today's workout was all Suzanne Bowen downloads. I felt the burn, and I feel like I worked my whole body well. I could have added some front of the arm work, as this seems to be missing in her upper body chisler, but she has a front and back of arm chisler too I did UB chisler + thin thighs 2 + foldover + c-curve
Old 07-08-11, 05:32 AM  
Nelly G

Hi Ruth,
If I sign up with Susan Bowen do I get also the standings abs and legs and the thin thights fast II or do I only get the latest and must I buy the old ones?
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-11, 06:11 AM  
topfitmama

Hi Nelly,
When I started my membership in May, I got access to the few downloads that were already there. I have posted on Suzanne Bowen Fitness' wall (facebook) asking if you get everything that is already there when you sign up. I'll let you know what she answers. If you are on Facebook, you can "like" Suzanne Bowen Fitness to find out about new workouts and such.
Old 07-08-11, 06:36 AM  
Nelly G

Hi Ruth, I really like your reviews. Thanks for asking. I will wait for the answer.
Nelly G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 12:53 PM  
topfitmama

Well, here's the answer I got from Suzanne:

Hi Ruth-

The Suzanne Bowen Fitness site is getting a complete overhaul. Memberships will cease and so will full streaming access but better downloads will be made available. As a year long member, you will have access to downloads until your year ends but we are not accepting any new members at this time as the "membership" will end within the month.

We are excited about all these changes. We are working with some great companies to bring you more information, better workouts and a complete informative site on all things fitness! Stay tuned!

Let's see what this turns into... I actually liked the weekly workouts and I think the membership was a really good deal.
Old 07-22-11, 01:22 PM  
Hej

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfitmama View Post
Well, here's the answer I got from Suzanne:

Hi Ruth-

The Suzanne Bowen Fitness site is getting a complete overhaul. Memberships will cease and so will full streaming access but better downloads will be made available. As a year long member, you will have access to downloads until your year ends but we are not accepting any new members at this time as the "membership" will end within the month.

We are excited about all these changes. We are working with some great companies to bring you more information, better workouts and a complete informative site on all things fitness! Stay tuned!

Let's see what this turns into... I actually liked the weekly workouts and I think the membership was a really good deal.
Thanks for asking Suzanne and for posting the information here, Ruth. I am a very satisfied customer from the POV of the product at this point. As a subscriber/member/customer I feel a little let down that Suzanne is stopping memberships within the month and not bothering to provide an update to everyone about the situation herself....
Hej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-11, 01:32 PM  
mjs2052

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hej View Post
Thanks for asking Suzanne and for posting the information here, Ruth. I am a very satisfied customer from the POV of the product at this point. As a subscriber/member/customer I feel a little let down that Suzanne is stopping memberships within the month and not bothering to provide an update to everyone about the situation herself....
I agree. I've been a subscriber since the beginning and am really enjoying what she puts out now. When is she going to let everyone else know? This is disappointing....

Melissa
mjs2052 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
downloadable workouts, downloads, suzanne bowen