Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-08-10, 08:44 AM  
roz

I would doubt that it was Collage. They post both bad and good reviews of workouts. I would think it had to be someone from Lalo's team.
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:10 AM  
antbuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by roz View Post
I would doubt that it was Collage. They post both bad and good reviews of workouts. I would think it had to be someone from Lalo's team.
I agree. Besides, Collage has had ample opportunity to do this in the past and quite frankly I think they've been around long enough to know this would be unethical. Collage is not perfect but I for one think they conduct their business in an ethical manner.

ETA: I think Lalo just blew it.
Old 01-08-10, 09:17 AM  
Bebop

Contact collage. It's wrong and plagerism is illegal. Not that you are going to sue them... but I don't think collage video wants to be associated with illegal activities. Also, it will hurt their credibility. They should remove the review.

I order from them when I can because I trust them - if I knew they were lifting reviews without permission, I'd stop ordering from them.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 09:29 AM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

Plagiarism, pure and simple.

I suggest you contact WWWendy as well: I'm pretty sure I've seen posts by her before that address other people (like instructors) using VF reviews, and needing to get permission from the author in order to do so.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 10:28 AM  
Sassy
VF Supporter

I agree - contact Collage. And if you do, I'd love to hear what they say (which I'm guess is that they'll take it down right away).

This makes me so sad because I rely heavily on the reviews to what videos to buy, and I don't have a lot of money to be wasting on bad videos. I've always believed that most of the reivews are straight up, and I hate to think that loads of the positive ones are just shills......

If nothing else, contacting them and posting about it will send the message to anyone doing it that this community watches these things and calls them out.

"The only difference between the saint and the sinner is that every saint has a past and every sinner has a future." ~~~Oscar Wilde
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 10:50 AM  
sophie kat

like everyone said, contact collage and make them take it down. they're no reason why they wouldn't. i don't think collage did this either, but i wouldn't be surprised to learn that lalo or his PR team did. i think a fair number of us have come across reviews that were, well, bogus or strangley partial. i know i have. i've also read reviews that were indentical to reviews on another site, but posted by a "different" person. strangely, with all positve and no negative points in them.

it's sad to think that even reviews can't be done on an honor system. given the fact that reveiws (especially positive ones) generate lots of sales, popularity, and money--now and for future workouts, i'm sure it's tempting for some instructors/PR teams to do this. i don't think it's ethical, but we can't possibly catch them all. i've bought more than my fair share of workouts based on reviews.

keep us posted naturallove!

I my VF friends!
sophie kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 11:56 AM  
baileybird
VF Supporter

Yes, keep us updated on what they say. I'd be very disappointed if it is their practice to copy good reviews onto their site. I just cross my fingers that someone who also loves the video used your words to write the review there.
baileybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:13 PM  
KathAL79

Wow, Natural. I don't blame you for being mad. In fact, I'm not sure what's the worst part of it: the fact that someone posted your words without permission or that someone posted your words with careful editing to skew your take on something.

Yes, contact Collage and WWWendy.

So it's either a member of Lalo's PR team, a Collage employee, or someone unconnected with either trolling the internet. Any and all of those folks should know better.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:18 PM  
roz

removed-- i was incorrect (had posted they took it down)
roz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-10, 12:24 PM  
glowacki

You've got a case.

I'm surprised Collage allowed the reference to P90X, since that's a set they don't carry and I thought it was their policy to delete any mention of exercise products they don't sell. I once reviewed a Kathy Smith workout and compared the standing ab work to Slim Series, and they cut off that whole line.
glowacki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collage video, lalo fuentes, reviews