Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-20-09, 02:44 PM  
Calistro

Who is Lalo fuentes?

Hello,

I saw this over at collage, but there is no clip yet, but I found a trailer at youtube.
Does anyone have this?
It looks a bit high impact, and he looks as if he only uses the one set of weights, I could like it but my knees might not.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KDfp9vcC50

calistro
Calistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 08:43 PM  
Richie

I just saw the clip at collage and was going to start a thread asking the same thing, glad I searched first!
So, does anyone have this? Think I might take a gamble on it.
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:21 PM  
adrien_73

I ordered it from Amazon & should get it any day now. I'll report back when I get it!
adrien_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:47 PM  
lapis
VF Supporter

I have it as of a few day ago but have not looked at it yet (actually I have a male friend into fitness and he was interested in this as well, but I purchased it figuring one of us would keep it ----- he liked the looks of the workout and said that this was similiar method used by a personal trainer he had many years ago) ...... I have been sick all week and haven't had time to preview it, but hopefully in the next few days, can get around to it.
lapis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 09:57 PM  
daisysunshine

Oh I was going to be all wiseDaisy and say Daisy Fuentes's father

...right now you're saying, no i can't do this. you should know by now i don't train that way - Dasha Libin

offering the two tracey mallet dance workouts, pm me.
daisysunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-09, 11:09 PM  
macska
VF Supporter

I have it. Just bought it a few days ago on Amazon.
Actually a rather enjoyable workout, about 55 min long. Circuit type workout, there are some short and not too intense 1 min cardio segments between upper/lower body exercises. Lots of shoulders! The abs/core part is really good. Everything is high rep, 15-25 reps depending on the exercise. The music is good and he is pleasant. He doesn't talk too much but there are some very well placed instructions here and there. I like it.

"You finish when you are done not when you are tired."
David Goggins
macska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:22 AM  
Snuckles

Yeah, I saw this over at Collage and put it on my wishlist. Goodness, I know I don't need any more workouts but I surely trade for it.
Snuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 09:40 AM  
acey

I posted a New Review of this. Pretty much what Macska said. The "freeze" is that you pause for two seconds at the top and bottom of each move to really be mindful of your muscle working. I liked this workout more than I thought, probably because Lalo appears to be gazing into your eyes.

But I was disappointed that just about all the upper body moves are shoulder-oriented.
Old 03-08-09, 10:05 AM  
Richie

Is it okay to post your review here in this thread, acey?
Took me ages to find it (somehow I have always completely missed the 'new reviews' section)!

If it's not okay I will remove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey
LaloFit
Lalo
This was a pretty good workout. The "freeze" concept is that you pause for 2 seconds at the peak of each move to really engage the muscle being worked. All the moves are done at a very deliberate pace to remove any momentum.

There are four sections, with brief intermissions in which you see motivational phrases like "Celebrate Your Body" "Rest" "Commitment", fortune-cookie stuff, and Lalo's voice dispenses some quotable quotes.

Most of the moves in the first half are compound or combined. And most of them involve shoulders and legs. I was rather disappointed that there is no bicep work and very little of anything else besides the shoulders for upper body. Lunge back then stand and do a military press. Squat and press. Squat and deltoid flies, et cetera. There are some shoulder-only moves (front raises, side raises) and leg-only moves, like a one-legged balancing move where you reach down and touch the standing foot, or slow side "kicks" (Lalo tells you you're not supposed to really kick, but do the motion). There is a squat with alternating slow "punches" holding the weights. I found that 5 lbers were heavy enough for this workout. 30 seconds of cardio are interspersed throughout--jacks, jogs and side to side lunges.

The second half repeats a lot of moves. For instance you do a full minute of slow pushups (killer) and later on you will do yet another set. You will also do 2 sets of burpees, 2 sets of the plank move where you go from your elbows to your hands and back again, and 2 sets of bicycles/pilates-style bicycles. You do one set of sitting in a C-curve while alternating lifting your legs so that you can pass one weight underneath each leg continuously. You also do a little work for the triceps by doing a sort of tricep pushup while always in cobra position (your lower body stays on the floor while you raise your upper half into cobra position using your triceps, going up and down rhythmically).

The setting is a gritty warehouse, just Lalo, his shadow and a mysterious locked door behind him. The music is pretty good, techno-house-ambient whatever. (WHen you do the burpees, it briefly turns into heavy metal/industrial, LOL).

People were concerned about the voice-over thing. I didn't like it too much when Gin did it for one workout, even though there were 3 exercisers. Here, I didn't mind it so much. There is no counting of reps, you just keep your eyes on Lalo -- which isn't hard to do. I was afraid it would get boring with the slow and deliberate pace of the moves (most are done in reps of 15), but instead it kind of hypnotized me and got me focused on the work. Having Lalo apparently looking you right in the eye is almost too much of a good thing. The guy oozes charisma. He wears a simple white shirt and white sweats.

I like this workout and thought it really helped me to refocus on really feeling each muscle, but the moves can get rather repetitious and you basically nothing but shoulders and some chest, but no back, biceps and very little tris. So it will be something I pull out occasionally, not regularly. It seems to be the first in a series, so we'll see if the next workouts complement this one to make up for the emphasis on shoulders.

Instructor comments: Total eye candy. The voiceover was pretty good, with good if repetitious tips and motivational comments. I was a bit leery of the voiceover format but after a while I felt as if Lalo and I were silently working out together, both too intensely focused to speak!

acey

2/25/09

I've gone ahead and ordered this from amazon!
Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-09, 11:41 AM  
KathAL79

For those who have trouble navigating the New Reviews page, here's a tip: hit "Control" & "F" at the same time, then type in a distinctive word (e.g. "Lalo") to bring you to the review.

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lalo fuentes, lalofit