Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-28-02, 05:53 PM  
horsemom2

Hope this thread doesn't end with a trivia test!!

Let's see, I discovered the advantages of home workout videos with TaeBo in May of 1999 after 2 decades of hibernation. I think I needed a stimulating exercise for more reasons than I can list so have kept pressing play in spite of endless weight plateaus. For me, it is mostly about feeling good though looking better is a nice bonus. As I learned to modify the TaeBo workouts to make them safer and more fun, I tried other styles and most recently am enthusiastic about NIA cuz it is as close to the perfect workout for me that I have found though I still do TaeBo, strength workouts, and every other kind of workout to keep it interesting except I won't do workouts at intensities that leave me exhausted or at risk for injury and like to use the whole body, not just follow blindly some fancy footwork, moving my feet faster than I can think.

Barb
who discovered TaeBo and exercise videos at the age of 50
horsemom2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 07:16 PM  
maebe

Howdy! I'm Gen aka Geneva (Mae is my middle name so for the nick)

I started working out to videos Jan 1, 1987. I had some weight to get off, about 30 lbs. Don't even remember who the instructor was for the first vids I had, I'd do Body Electric also on TV. I ran onto The Firms vol 1 in Feb that year and the rest is history. I got my ultimate body doing vol 1 5-6 days a week. Yes I know BAD girl! I have worked out on and off (more on) since then. I own all the Firms except 3, I just traded CC2 for a good Vol 1. LOL If ya can't tell vol 1 is my favorite all time workout!

I started lurking here in VF sometime last spring when I decided to branch away from the Firm since they weren't fullfilling my need for NEW workouts. I wanted to see what everyone was doing here. I started posting in December I think. I now own about 15 Cathes, 2 Tae Bos (ripped), and both Treadmoves and a Fitprime. I'm a weight lifting girl, Don't like cardio step, I get my cardio by power walking or AWT. I just got a treadmill for Christmas, man do I love it! It does everything but the dishes!

I originally started out in the FF spring of 99. For the last year I have forum hopped probably 6 different fitness forums. I'm an original member of Mykbt.com and you can find me there the most. I have been to the Firm in columbia serveral times. I have been to one of the trips, met some unbelievable women and one of my best friends! *winks @ claire I was featured with Jen Carmen and 3 other fantastic friends in Fit Magazine Jan 2001.

I'll be 42 this year and married to the worlds best hubby for 18 years, Ton who hails from Holland but is now an american citizen. We have a 6 year old daughter. Ton works out also Firms, Fitprime, Cathe and Tae bo. We own a greenhouse in Georgia. I'm a grower and specialize in germination and seedlings. I also am the truck routing mama during busy season.

Working out gives me the energy I need to make it through the hetic days! I have learned alot from all the forums and the wonderful women/men about fitness, health, eating, etc. I'm known for being a rebel, I'm not affraid to speak my mind or opinions. Gets me in trouble sometimes! LOL

Looking forward to learning more from you all!
Old 02-28-02, 08:22 PM  
mm2

Wow, I guess this a good time as any to "delurk"!!! My name is Mary-Margaret (not to be confused with Margaret-Mary). I am a registered nurse and live in Chesapeake, Va. I have over 100 videos --my boyfriend would die if he knew. I once told him that I had an exercise video addiction and that I owned alot of videos. He said "Whats alot? Around 10?" Ha Ha Ha. Anyway, I'm bummed right now because I have started a new position at the hospital I work at. The hours are longer than I had expected, leaving me with little time or energy to workout. And me with two new body bar videos to try! This forum has been a great source of info for me- I've been lurking over a year. This thread is alot of fun--it's nice "meeting" y'all!
mm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 09:08 PM  
Laura K

Smile

Hello everyone!

I guess this is a good time as any to introduce myself the proper way.
My name is Laura, SAHM, soon to be 39 years old in April(YIKES),
I've been married for 17 years to a wonderful husband who understands my love of fitness, I have a sweet-natured teenage son, who is a concert pianist.

I usually don't post that much but mainly lurk, and have learnt a great deal from you guys, I have been visiting VF for over a year and this place is wonderful for reviews and making me spend a lot money as well, it seems like ever since I started visiting VF more frequently there is always something new to buy and as a result my video collection has expanded, I barely have room where to put it anymore.

I Have been working out consistenly for 7 years and I have never stopped, I'm loving every minute of it.

I'd like to thank you all for your warm welcome.

Laura K, aka Laura at FF

Laura K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 09:34 PM  
Dawn
VF Supporter

my turn

I've been visiting VF for about 6 (?) years now. I just happen to run across the website in a magazine ad and was immediately hooked

I'm 34 years old, married 15 years and I have two boys ages 10 & 12. I work part time as a sales associate.

I love summer time when I can ride my bike, go hiking, roller blading, walking and jogging. Until I discovered VF the only exercise video I had tried up to that point was Jane Fonda and I use to workout to Charlene Prickett's It Figures on Lifetime. Once I discovered all the wonderful videos I was missing out on, it didn't take long to get a good (and huge) collection started. I now enjoy the Firm, Cathe, Mindy, CIA and I absolutely LOVE yoga.

Dawn H.
Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 09:58 PM  
Connie
VF Supporter

My name is Connie and I am 42 years old. I have been married for almost 2 years to a wonderful man and I have a sweet 9-year-old son from a previous marriage.

I am a dental hygienist in northern California and I enjoy my job very much. The last year I spent getting back into shape after years of laziness and then a broken ankle and heel in Nov. 2001. I'm in better shape now than I have ever been in my life.

I started with the Firm Vol. 1 in the early 90's or 1989. Went to more Firms later, but didn't branch out until I found this forum from the FF in 2001. Now I still Firm but I love Cathe and Christi too. I also enjoy in-line skating and biking with my son Ian.

I love having sculpted arms, and the other day at the supermarket I sat down for a blood pressure/pulse test and guess what? BP was 96/64 and pulse was 48! And I was walking around shopping with a cart, not sleeping!! LOL! It's because of Interval Max and all the others.

Here's my before and after (during!) pic.

The Firm may have imploded but it was my intro to serious fitness and I am grateful for that.
Connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 10:56 PM  
owiebrain

Talking Beware, I tend to ramble!

I'm Diane (33), stay-at-home homeschooling mom to 3 sons (8 years, 5 years, and 17 months) with one more kiddo on the way (due July or August) and married to dh for...umm...I'll have to check with him for how long we've been married. LOL I'm so bad at remembering these things!

I have been pretty athletic my whole life--sports, running, swimming, etc. Bought and faithfully did Tamilee BOS tapes in the early 90s--loved them! Lost them. Met and married hubby, had a couple of kids--stayed active during all of that with mostly my own strength exercises at home and outdoor activities. After kid #2, though, it became much more difficult to find time and energy to work out. Slumps became more frequent. Kid #3 was born--slump became a habit. LOL This past summer/fall, I started getting back into exercise with a health club--hated it because I'm an antisocial person so started my own thing at home again. Found out I was pregnant with #4 early winter, felt like doo-doo, slumped again. Started feeling better a month or so ago so decided to get back into it. I discovered VF--cool!!! I had never given videos much thought until I started reading here and now I'm excited!! I bought the least annoying thing I could find locally--Firm parts (TT2, 5-day Abs, SL, and UB).

I'm an irritable dink when pregnant so am very picky about instructors right now. I've shelved TT2 because it annoys me LOL and, also, the abs one because of the pregnancy. I'm soaking in all the reviews right now trying to find a few more non-irritating ones to get me through this pregnancy. I also have a tendency to push myself past the limit so I am working very hard not to do that during the pregnancy.

I love strength work, ballet-type moves, and cannot wait to try some Pilates! I detest dancy anything (except precise ballet types) and cardio is my weakness--working on that one! I'm finding, from my recent Firm workouts, that my strength is still great but, alas, my cardio still stinks...

We currently live in Springfield, MO but will be moving to TX sometime in either late spring or summer. Somewhere between Temple and San Antonio or slightly east of there--we'll figure it out when we get there.

See? I warned you I tend to ramble!

diane
Pregnant with #4, expected beginning of August if baby agrees.

Please excuse any typos--probably NAK (nursing at keyboard). :-)
owiebrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-02, 11:13 PM  
DJS
VF Supporter

I've been lurking at VF for about a month. I'm new to both VF and fitness. I'm just beginning to work out and am still trying to find a schedule that's right for me. So far, I have Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds and Walk Away the Pounds Plus sets but have only done the one and two mile tapes. I also like Tamilee Webb's I Want Those series and have Stott and Karen Voight Pilates. Thinking about trying yoga. I gave my Richard Simmons Sweatin to the Oldies tapes to my daughter, WAP seems to be better suited to my knees! I found VF by reading reviews in Collage's website and I've been lurking here ever since. Thank you all for the reviews on LS and TW, I love those!

I'm 42 today (actually, not this year, I was born on the 29th). I live in Denton, Texas with my DH of 9 years (second marriage for both). I have a 21-year-old step-daughter, a 21-year-old daughter and a 20-year-old daughter. Each of my daughters has given me a 3-year-old grandson and the youngest has a 2-month-old daughter. (Ain't grandkids great?!) I have a half Chihuahua-half Dachsund dog and a cat. I work as a sales clerk in a grocery store, with no plans to promote to management (been there, done that, don't want to go back!)

Anyway, thanks to everyone here for making us newbies feel welcome and for your advice.

Doris
DJS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-02, 09:22 AM  
kplondon
VF Supporter

I am a long-time lurker and couldn't resist the kind invitation to introduce myself! I am 37, a lawyer, married, with a wonderful 10-month old daughter, and living in London. I am a Canadian and lived in Manhattan for two years until this past August.

I am indebted to videos for helping me to get fit after I gained lots of weight when I started working, and helping me regain my fitness after gaining 42 (gulp) pounds on my 5'3" frame during my pregnancy. I still think you can't beat a good Firm workout. As goofy as some of the Classics can be, I have to credit them for getting me back to my pre-pregnancy level of fitness and size. I also enjoy yoga videos and ashtanga yoga classes at my gym, where I also use the cardio machines fairly regularly.

I work four days a week as a lawyer at a bank. I was lucky enough to be able to set my mother up here in London as Lucy's nanny, which has been a great child-minding solution for all concerned. I can say, after having done both the SAHM and the working thing, that for me, I have more work-out time and free time generally now that I am back at work!

My current challenge to reward myself for sticking to my fitness programme: finding the perfect pair of black stretch bootcut pants!
Old 03-14-02, 05:24 PM  
KristyW
VF Supporter

Wink I should have done this a long time ago.

I thought that it was time that I came out of “lurk” and introduced myself to the members of VF. My name is Kristy and I’ve been visiting VF for over a year. I have occasionally asked questions of members when I needed help. Thank you for being here!

I am a Stay-At-Home-Mom with 3 kids, 14 year old boy, 10 year old boy, and 8 year old girl. I will be 40 in July. Last summer I had surgery to replace a valve in my heart. VF has been instrumental in my recovery! I visit sometimes for the enthusiasm, sometimes for the fitness advice. My video library is rather limited right now, but I know that you all can help me spend money when I have it! LOL! I have mostly Kathy Smith tapes, but I’m branching out more and more all the time . I have added Donnamite, Keli’s Ultimate Step, YZ’s Conditioning & Stress Relief, and my latest additions are AM & PM Yoga. I Loooove AM Yoga! What a way to start the day! I also attend a fitness class M-W-F.

When the weather warms up, I hope to start a walk/run program, and do some bicycling. Who knows, maybe I’ll even take up rollerblading with my kids!!

Thanks WWWendy for giving us VF!!!

Tags
former sticky, how did you find vf, introductions, new members, new to vf, new user, sticky thread