Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion > Workout/Fitness FAQs

Old 06-06-02, 02:16 PM  
Marilyn989

Talking Which Firm videos for beginners???

Hi,

I am 24 years old and 5'2", 120 lbs. I am just starting to work out. I want to try the Firm videos and was wondering which ones you recommend for beginners.

Thanks,

Marilyn
Marilyn989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-02, 03:15 PM  
brooklyngrrl
VF Supporter

Basics!

Hi Marilyn!
I'd definitely suggest the FIRM Basics series: Sculpting with Weights, Fat-burning, and Abs Buns + Thighs. They're not currently being produced, but you can find them on half.com sometimes and occasionally copies will show up on other discount sites. They were my introduction to the FIRM, and worked out wonderfully for me -- building up my strength and endurance gradually until I was ready to tackle the harder tapes. I don't think I would have continued working out if I had started with any of the FIRM Classics! These are great for beginners, and produce real results, especially if you're just getting started working out after being sedentary.
brooklyngrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-02, 03:21 PM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

Try Overstock.com

They have the Scuplting with Weights tape for 4.99 plus free shipping. You can click on the link on VF to get to the site.

(edited by moderator- here is a link that will get you to overstock and give some funds to VF-
http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2....cid=17368&fp=f )

They also have take an additional 5% of your purchase coupon which expires today.

Hedy
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 10:39 AM  
TylerA

I agree that the Firm Basics are a great way to start. They were good for me especially because I'm not extremely coordinated nor did I know a lot about the proper form for lifting weights, and the instructors spent a lot of time explaining the proper form, etc. They're a great way to start the Firm and then you can move up to harder tapes when you're ready. Good luck!
TylerA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-02, 11:46 AM  
Loretta S.
VF Supporter

Firm Basics Sculpting With Weights is a terrific tape. Thanks hedy for the link to overstock.com. This tape teaches good form and how to modify basic moves that may be too hard like pushups. If you can't find the other two Firm Basics, you may also like Maximum Body Shaping, Total Body Fat Blaster, Sculpted Buns, Hips and Thighs. These are all available at Collage Video

I think the Firm Kit would be a good place to start too. My favorite of the three tapes is Cardio Sculpt. The two-part tall box gives you some good options for equipment that you will be able to use with all your tapes.
Old 06-08-02, 12:37 AM  
SydneyH

I started off with Volume 4 with a regular step and light weights, nice but challenging workout!!!!!!!
SydneyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-02, 12:18 PM  
Bebop

All the previous suggestions are excellent. I just wanted to tell you to invest in the Firm Classic Vol 1. It is the first firm tape and, in my opinion, one of the best total body videos around. I have many, many tapes including a nice collection of Firm videos and I am constantly using this video and still enjoying it. You can modify it to your fitness level by using light weights and omitting the ankle weight for the floor work.
Bebop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-02, 11:09 AM  
Marilyn989

Smile Thanks for all the replies

Thanks for all the replies. I went to overstock.com and purchased the sculpting with weights video (awesome deal) and found the other basic ones used.
Marilyn989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-02, 12:16 PM  
Heather Fraser

I just bought Maximum Body Shaping, and on preview it's as good as everyone says. I'm a high beginner/low intermediate exerciser, and the Firm Basics, which I've been using for a year, had definitely moved into the "light day" category. MBS seems to me like one step up; it's the first Firm tape I've previewed besides the Basics where I thought to myself, "I could do that," instead of, "Back to the video store with you!" It's a bit light on aerobics, but I expect my heart rate will stay up anyway.

So if you find the Basics too easy for you, MBS would be a good next step, and best of all, it's actually available retail.

I'm still trying to find the Hare and the Tortoise tapes, which are also supposed to be intermediate level. But you might like those too.
Old 01-13-04, 08:42 PM  
Tin Lizzy

The Firm Basics

If you want a copy of the Firm Basics, abs, hips and buns with Stacy Milner Collins, please get in touch with me. This is a vhs tape that is in excellent condition. You may have it if you like.
Tin Lizzy is offline   Reply With Quote