Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-01-19, 07:05 PM  
Gams

Jessica Smith yoga/stretch questiom

I found 3 yoga/stretch DVDs of Jessica’s on Amazon and although I’m not a big yoga fan and I HATE floor work, I really want to do more stretching because my hips have been bothering me a lot when I exercise. If any of you have these, could you tell me me which ones have less actual yoga and floor work. If you need titles, I can look them up - I had planned on remembering them but I can’t remember anything - I think one is called Gentle Yoga. 😁
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 06:01 AM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

My favorite is her Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility, & Mobility. 4 20 minute segments done poolside. Some use a chair for a modification. I don't remember much floor work in this one - the second routine (for back and chest) spends about 10 minutes on the floor. The third segment targets tight hips - it's my favorite.

Yoga Stretch for Beginners and Beyond - has a lot of floor work in both 30 minute routines. The first one is more active and strength building, while the second routine is more of a stretchy, relaxation routine.

Her Gentle Yoga for Back Pain and Prevention also involves floor work but I like it. 2 30 minute routines

I'm not familiar enough with her two newest to talk about them.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 10:52 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

My most used of Jessica's yoga workouts is Gentle Yoga for Balance, Flexibility & Mobility (specifically the Neck & Shoulders.) All of the 20 minute segments are very good, though. If your hips are bothering you, the Hips & Knees practice on this DVD would be a good choice.

Current Rotation:
Dean Pohlman (Man Flow Yoga) 90 Days to Flexible Phase 3 (Intermediate)
Cathe Strength Training (ICE & LITE series)
Pam61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-19, 11:07 AM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Between her two newer yoga practices (Total Stretch) and (Gentle Yoga Stretch) I prefer Total Stretch with the three different focused choices. Of Deep Stretch, Dynamic Stretch, and Total Stretch options on the Total Stretch DVD, I like the Dynamic Stretch routine the most, but the others here are good, too (and shorter practices than Gentle Yoga.) Deep Stretch is mostly seated, Total (the shorter of the three practices) is about half standing, half seated, and Dynamic is mostly standing (with water as a backdrop.) Other two have a park-like setting.

I didn't find the newer Gentle Yoga to be as relaxing (for me and my chronic shoulder pain.) I was watching the clock a little more with the Gentle Yoga which wasn't as "gentle" for arms trying to stretch overhead. Plus she works one side, and then the other and I was a little restless with this.

Current Rotation:
Old 04-02-19, 12:41 PM  
Gams

Thanks, everyone. I ordered the Total Stretch and the Gentle Yoga for Balance.
Old 04-02-19, 03:52 PM  
Pam61
VF Supporter

Gams, I think you will like Total Stretch and Dynamic Balance has some nice hip opening moves while standing, at start of practice. Plus the backdrop is gorgeous.

I also checked out her Gentle Yoga for Back Pain and Prevention. The Back Pain workout is okay, but the Prevention is more yoga-ish and floorwork. First practice is on the gentle side, and other is more pose-y.

Gentle Yoga for Balance....is really versatile, practical and much needed for any body part that is tight and the short length is perfect for many folks who might use this as an add-on.

Current Rotation:
Old 04-02-19, 04:51 PM  
Gams

That’s good news because I get about halfway through workouts these days and my hips start screaming at me. I think more stretching will help.
Old 04-02-19, 05:55 PM  
txhsmom
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gams View Post
That’s good news because I get about halfway through workouts these days and my hips start screaming at me. I think more stretching will help.
I'm sure you are right. I saw a physical therapist today and she mentioned that she doesn't see anyone who does enough stretching.

Carol
txhsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jessica smith, jessica smith stretching, jessica smith yoga