Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-21-14, 11:36 AM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Kathy Smith and workout similarities

I'm back on a Kathy Smith kick (again) and am thinking of putting some of her workouts on my wishlist.

I have noticed over the years that her workouts can be much like the other one. I'm thinking of getting her two Ageless workouts: Total Body Turnaround and Staying Strong. Do these have many similarities to her Project You workouts? (step-knee-walk-walk, crack the coconut, the same kickbox routine again?).

Also, is her Barre Body Lift different enough from Total Body Lift to justify having both?

Thanks!
Pat58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 12:16 PM  
donnamp

Hi Pat,

It has been awhile since I did the two "Ageless" workouts - but I remember one of them had a nice flowy-Ellen-ish segment and a good stretch!

I also think the Total Body Lift and the Barre Body Lift may be the same workout! I have it under the "Total Body Lift" title and really like it. it has 4 approx. 15 min segments.

Donna
donnamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 12:33 PM  
dnna

total body lift has 4 15 minute segments- the leg lift segment looks like a barre workout.the tummy lift is pilates based.she has a cast with her.
Ageles-total body turnaround has 3 20 minute segments-works on balance in one segment- and Kathy is alone. and looking great. still whooping here and there, she can't help it, lol. Staying strong has 4 15 minute segments and a 12 minute bonus stretch. These two new ones are really very nice but -yes similar.
sent you a pm re: total body lift
dnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 12:39 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Thanks! BTW Kathy's whooping doesn't bother me much. I know, she can't help it, right? She seems like such a genuinely nice person.
Old 04-21-14, 12:43 PM  
Jane C
VF Supporter

Hi Pat - just a note that my public library has alot of Kathy Smith workouts - you might be able to get a preview there.

Come, come, whoever you are.
Wanderer, idolator, worshipper of fire,
come even though you have broken your vows a thousand times,
Come, and come yet again.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.

Rumi
Jane C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:01 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat58 View Post
I'm back on a Kathy Smith kick (again) and am thinking of putting some of her workouts on my wishlist.

I have noticed over the years that her workouts can be much like the other one. I'm thinking of getting her two Ageless workouts: Total Body Turnaround and Staying Strong. Do these have many similarities to her Project You workouts? (step-knee-walk-walk, crack the coconut, the same kickbox routine again?).

Also, is her Barre Body Lift different enough from Total Body Lift to justify having both?

Thanks!
the 2 ageless workouts aren't too different compared to her PY series in terms of choreography. you've got it described accurately in a nutshell - step knee walk walk coconut ham curls. her PY workouts, to me, are more intense and there's more variety and energy.

i liked her Rejuvenation walking and toning workouts. i lucked out and found both of them on ebay w/o the equipment! for whatever reason, the Rejuvenation workouts were more "interesting" compared to the Ageless workouts.

as far as her pilates/barre workouts, here's a list of the ones that you might be referring to:
  • Tummy Trimmers
  • Total Body Lift
  • Peel Off the Pounds Pilates
the above 3 workouts are good in that they are well chaptered and you can pick and choose segments. i can't remember if any of the discs are programmable - they might be.

they're different from her PY yoga or pilates routines in that the segments are shorter, whereas the PY workouts are just 1, 20-25 min workout that is not as segmented.

according to this Amazon review, TBL = BBL.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:28 PM  
bzar
Exchange Moderator

speaking of Kathy, she re-released her Power Step workout, and it includes the Fat Burning Breakthrough step workout.

i have both, but this is quite a bargain for people who've wanted the power step workout. for a long time, the power step workout was OOP and the prices on Amazon were sky-high.

Miyagi: Wax on, right hand. Wax off, left hand. Wax on, wax off. Breathe in through nose, out the mouth. Wax on, wax off. Don't forget to breathe, very important.
[walks away, still making circular motions with hands] ~ Pat Morita, The Karate Kid, 1984

disclosure: in the years 2002-2004 i had a professional relationship with a distributor of fitness videos; see profile.
bzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:53 PM  
yogapam
VF Supporter

Pat - I have a Kathy barre workout, I think it's Total Body lift, I am not at home to check. I would be happy to gift it to you.

[EDIT] pm me if you are interested.

Certified Level 4 Essentrics Instructor - March 2021

Hatha YTT - 2011

Your body keeps an accurate journal regardless of what you write down.....

"Take care of your body. It's the only place you have to live."
Jim Rohn

"It’s not what we do once in a while that shapes our lives, but what we do consistently.” - Tony Robbins

Check out my Instagram account, @fitness.ficti0n.inspirati0n
yogapam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-14, 02:58 PM  
Pat58
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane C View Post
Hi Pat - just a note that my public library has alot of Kathy Smith workouts - you might be able to get a preview there.
Hi Jane! Thanks for the tip!

Jeannine - wow, thanks for the info. I had a suspicion that TBL would be the same as BBL. Lucky you on the Rejuvenation workouts!

Pam - I have Total Body Lift at home.
Old 04-21-14, 04:07 PM  
Sollamyn

I have both of the Ageless DVDs and PY. I've done the PY strength workouts quite a lot. While there are similarities between Ageless and PY, I don't see that they are very similar. Of the two Ageless DVDs, I use Total Body Turnaround the most. There is a cardio/strength circuit workout using dumbbells, a balance workout (sort of the barefoot cardio/toning circuit with balance and lower body moves), and a stretch/energize workout on it. On Staying Strong, it is four 15-minute strength workouts divided by body part (upper body, legs, glutes, and core) plus a stretch workout, I think.

She does the most whooping on the balance workout, I think. And she does a crack the coconut move on at least one of the workouts (can't remember which), but I don't think she calls it crack the coconut (I could be wrong!). Anyway, I really like these workouts although I haven't used the Staying Strong in a long while because, well, I'm a vidiot and I have so many other workouts to do!!

Oh, can I plug Peel off the Pounds Pilates while I'm here? I like the low-impact cardio workout on that one.

Donna

Tags
kathy smith, kathy smith yoga