Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-09-10, 09:04 AM  
Eibhinn

Review copies of DVDs are tricky little things. It sounds awesome in theory, but can be quite the ethical dilemma. I was once offered a review copy of a new bellydance DVD with the understanding that I would post a review on at least one bellydance forum. When I got the thing it was literally the absolute worst bellydance video I have ever seen. Terrible! And because the woman had been so friendly throughout the process, I didn't feel comfortable posting my honest feelings about it - plus, I couldn't force myself to work all the way through the video, it was that bad. I was in the process of steeling myself up to be honest about the thing when another person who had been sent a review copy beat me to it. THEN I got an email essentially instructing me as to what things I could and could not comment on regarding the DVD (essentially telling me it was unfair for me to mention certain things). I've still never reviewed the DVD, and it was always going to be a terribly awkward lose-lose situation: either I feel like an irresponsible jerk for not fulfilling my obligation to review the DVD, or I feel like a mean person for actually describing just how terrible it is (I mean it's really, really awful). Everytime I look at the DVD I feel awful, but I have no idea what to do with it and would feel guilty just throwing it out. I feel like eventually I will be able to turn it on and laugh at just how horrendous it is once I get over the guilty conscience.

Take home message: I no longer feel as envious of all of the VFers who are always getting review copies of stuff. Although the seem to fare much better quality-wise than I do.
Eibhinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 10:22 AM  
ARTmethodfan
VF Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
No worries, Nat! I don't think it was you at all!
Thank you!
ARTmethodfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 10:47 AM  
KathAL79

Quote:
Originally Posted by naturallove View Post
Kath-I totally get what you're saying, but I guess I'm of the mind that if something happens on your watch, the right thing to do is to apologize. Collage is ultimately (if not directly) responsible for everything that is posted on their site, and whether this happens 1 time or 1,000 times, they should have apologized. (Although, I have to say, if this is happening a lot, they probably should rethink their review system, and institute something like Mary has or had or her site.)
Oh, I agree completely with you, Natural! I should have made it clearer that I thought there's a lack of interest in taking control of the situation on their part, including owning up to their responsibility. This is obviously a common enough occurrence that they just take care of it without stopping to consider what's really going on, yet it must not be that common if they don't have better systems in place.

Eibhinn, that's one major reason I've avoided asking for review copies or signing up for the program through Amazon where top reviewers get passed along those opportunities. I spend enough time on things I want to like because I bought them or asked for them as a gift that I don't have time for things I want to like because someone nice gave me one to review....

Note: I have had a professional relationship with a vendor of health and fitness books and media. For details please see my profile.
KathAL79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-10, 12:19 PM  
Helen S
VF Supporter

I didn't read the whole thread because I noticed that the review was removed when I clicked on the original links. naturallove, I'm glad that Collage removed the review.
Old 01-09-10, 05:28 PM  
lissalaurel76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eibhinn View Post
Review copies of DVDs are tricky little things. It sounds awesome in theory, but can be quite the ethical dilemma. I was once offered a review copy of a new bellydance DVD with the understanding that I would post a review on at least one bellydance forum. When I got the thing it was literally the absolute worst bellydance video I have ever seen. Terrible! And because the woman had been so friendly throughout the process, I didn't feel comfortable posting my honest feelings about it - plus, I couldn't force myself to work all the way through the video, it was that bad. I was in the process of steeling myself up to be honest about the thing when another person who had been sent a review copy beat me to it. THEN I got an email essentially instructing me as to what things I could and could not comment on regarding the DVD (essentially telling me it was unfair for me to mention certain things). I've still never reviewed the DVD, and it was always going to be a terribly awkward lose-lose situation: either I feel like an irresponsible jerk for not fulfilling my obligation to review the DVD, or I feel like a mean person for actually describing just how terrible it is (I mean it's really, really awful). Everytime I look at the DVD I feel awful, but I have no idea what to do with it and would feel guilty just throwing it out. I feel like eventually I will be able to turn it on and laugh at just how horrendous it is once I get over the guilty conscience.

Take home message: I no longer feel as envious of all of the VFers who are always getting review copies of stuff. Although the seem to fare much better quality-wise than I do.
Honestly, as a bellydancer myself, I would go ahead & review it. Your silence can also lend to somebody buying it without the knowledge as to what to realistically expect. Hey, it's the instructor's own fault if the DVD is horrible, not yours. She asked for a review, and should not censor you after the fact. That right there speaks to how she's really not all that nice. She was probably being all nicey-nice to entice a good review, in part anyway. I think you should go ahead & review it. (and since I'm now curious, couldja PM me what DVD it was ? )
Old 01-10-10, 08:23 PM  
lissalaurel76

Eibhinn, I got your PM. You're right, that IS bad. LOL
Old 01-11-10, 09:22 AM  
bubbles76

Eibhinn, as a fellow bellydancer who now does not have the time or money to afford classes and must now rely on home DVDs to keep up muscle memory and training, could you pass on that info as well?
"You humans have the potential to be the most wonderful beings there are - if you can get past all these enormous stupid spots you seem to have in your hearts. It's not your fault. You just don't know how to work your hearts right yet. That's why there are dogs." - Jim Butcher, Zoo Day
bubbles76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collage video, lalo fuentes, reviews