Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-24-11, 03:14 AM  
Fidget Queen

Don't feel like you're doing something wrong because you're still grieving. I just lost the fur-baby love of my life in January, and I haven't recovered yet. The day after it happened, I put together a bunch of pictures for others to see. I wasn't able to look at another photo of her until this weekend, when I put up a picture of her and her sister. I lost my kitties 5 years ago and I STILL get upset.

You really loved your cat, and you should take comfort in that. He had a great life and that's more than 99% of animals on this earth could ever get. Please take care and don't feel guilty over feeling devastated. It's your right to grieve.
Fidget Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 04:36 AM  
Kathy
VF Supporter

You Won't Get a Kick from Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by buttons11 View Post
I'm mostly a long time lurker and don't post much...
I've read the most recent postings of others who were either fighting a health battle or who had lost their furrbaby...made me ache for each one when reading those...I was afraid to post then, didn't want to jinx my Odie as he was doing so well up until the 1st week in August

Now it's my turn to grieve I guess
We had to say goodbye to my 20yr old cat Odie after he lost his battle w/kidney disease on Saturday 8/6/11 [he made it to 20yrs and 8mo...those 8mo count at that age]

He lived a long and beloved life, he survived my nasty ex husband, a stroke in 2005 and brain cancer 2008...I married again in 2007 and my hubby and Odie became best buds...Odie beat all the odds by a long shot...they gave him 1yr at most after the brain tumor removal w/o radiation and his 3yr survival anniversary was 6/25/11... each day was a gift and Odie got a lotta love from hubby & I

I got Odie when I lived alone in Omaha as a 7wk old kitten, cute little black & white tuxedo Maine Coon ...what a chatty furr ball...He's been my most consistent positive being in my life...I have a wonderul loving husband, a cute 10yr old maltese Feather and our new luv Ms Bunny...the young, beautiful gray stray cat that adopted us 3 months ago...I am truly grateful for my husband, my other furrbabies and all the wonderful years I had w/Odie...

Yet it has been a couple weeks already, and I see I'm just not going to get over this...I don't have any regrets or doubts about his passing...I know we did everything we could possibly do for him, it was just his time...I'm just plain sad ...I MISS him...sheeeeze, I feel like a 46yo BABY but my heart just aches without him...20 years is a looong relationship and he was woven into everything in my life

I've spent a lot of time here reading on VF while luvin up on Odie, especially the last 6mo or so...I've enjoyed all the chat about new workouts, rotations, and instructors...I've learned so much & bought a multitude of DVD's ...yet I've foregone the am workouts to snuggle w/Odie on the couch and have only managed a sporatic workout schedule...I have weight to loose and I know I will feel better if I get my butt movin...I thought since Odie passed I would be able to just get up and get right at my AM workouts... but I've felt stuck...I know I need to...and am otherwise anxious to do more...but when morning comes I'm just so sad not to have that time w/my luv...shoot I even have a rapidly approaching trip to Australia in October...that should be enough motivation

anyhoo, I know I'm not alone as I know there are many others here missin their furrbabies...
I just need to get to it! ....does no good to be so so mopey...
so if you are still here readin this long winded, sappy post...feel free to give me a swift kick in the pants!...
thanks for letting me whine a bit
ms Buttons
I totally understand how you feel. I belong to three boxers and they are such an important part of my life. Our animals bring such joy and unconditional acceptance to our lives....I sometimes believe they are little angels (or not so little) brought down to teach us how to be good human beings.
My hope for you is that you will soon be able to think of your little kitty with happiness at the life you shared
Best wishes,
Kathy
Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 04:54 AM  
PhyllisG

I understand and I know there will come a time when you will think of Odie and smile. It will take time but you will get there. What a wonderful and loved life Odie had. Grieve. It is OK. You have my very sincere condolences. No one can replace Odie but they can add joy to your life.
PhyllisG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 05:01 AM  
lrb04

Red face

So sorry! Odie must have been a special friend for all those years. It is hard to be without our precious animals. Odie will always be in your thoughts and I hope that gives you comfort for the days ahead.
lrb04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 07:33 AM  
hedygs
VF Supporter

((((Hugs)))) I am so sorry. So many of us know the pain of this loss personally. I miss my little Domino every day.

DeeDee sorry to read of your loss.

Today my horse Ranger died. I just received the call so I am reeling.

Be kind to yourself. This will take time.
hedygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 09:24 AM  
mtnmom

It's okay to grieve. Allow yourself, and know that you gave Odie a wonderful life.
Old 08-24-11, 09:38 AM  
cherimac

I understand this pain too. I lost a beloved cat last year and a beloved dog this summer. It's so normal to grieve because they are part of the family. During times when humans can't comfort us, animals have an uncanny knack for loving us with their presence. It does take time and don't feel bad about it or rush it. Healing will occur and you will be able to love another furbaby again.
Old 08-24-11, 09:55 AM  
Gams

My heart goes out to everyone who has lost a dear pet. I know the pain. I also want to say thank you, thank you, thank you to all of you for providing good homes for these critters in the first place. On the front page of our paper this morning there is an article about a man who kicked the daylights out of his girl friend's chihuahua while she was at work and then he threw the chihuahua (who was still alive) in the dumpster behind his girl friend's apartment. They finally found the chihuahua, but he needed to be euthanized. These stories break my heart and I am forever grateful to the people who provide good homes for pets.
Gams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 12:04 PM  
Vintage VFer
VF Supporter

Nobody, but nobody, can give and receive love like our companion animals. We remember them all and miss them all.

I like to think of them waiting at The Rainbow Bridge for me.

http://www.petloss.com/rainbowbridge.htm

"Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together...."

Author unknown...

POSTURE CHECK!
Vintage VFer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-11, 12:51 PM  
Kathryn
VF Supporter

{{{{Buttons}}}}

So sorry to hear about Odie.

I've had quite a few cats in my lifetime, and had to make the decision to euthanise for most of them (only Scooter died in his sleep, next to me in bed).

It never gets easier, and it's natural to go through a period of mourning. I think the mourning is sometimes harder, because many other people (though not animal lovers, or many VFers) don't understand the grief we can feel for losing a beloved furchild.

I find it's sometimes helpful to reminisce about the good times. Posting some anecdotes about Odie might help you (though it's a bittersweet process: remembering the good, crying over the loss). If it would, please share with us.

2010 season speed-walking 5K PR: 35:47
2011 season race-walking 5K PR: 34:42
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote