Video Fitness Forum  

Go Back   Video Fitness Forum > Video Fitness Reader Forum > General Discussion
Register Support VF Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-11, 01:13 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Kettlebell swing instruction

I haven't picked up a kettlebell in a couple of years, but all of the excitement on the forum about RKS has made me want to start back up with kettlebells. I'd like to start by just adding swings to my other workouts.

I looked on youtube for some swing instruction and found a 10 part swing tutorial by Jamie Lloyd. http://youtu.be/3cZGMvstaN8 Has anyone ever heard of him? He's a RKC and CKT. Can someone tell me if he has good form and what style his swings are?

I learned originally from a RKC trainer. I'm not too clear about the differences between RKC and AKC and where IKFF and CKT fit in. Is there an advantage of doing hard style vs. soft style swings? Also, do you need competition style bells to do the soft style swings?

Thanks!
Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 04:07 PM  
Deanie

Hi Danielle

I don't know who Jamie Lloyd is.
I also recommend going back to the RKC instructor until you get it right - better safe than sorry If going to an RKC instructor doesn't work, I recommend Jordan Vezina as a GREAT instructor. He is not looking to make a buck, but to really teach proper use of Kettlebells. He is RKC certified, and teaches/trains for a living with Tracy and Marc Rifkind (legends in the RKC community). Reciently, he left working with them and branched out on his own. His instruction is INVALUABLE.
Here is a you tube video of him teaching the swing: HERE.

Here is his website: HERE

I went to an RKC and he helped tweak my form. Both his instruction and Jordans videos and articles (at the Dragon Door Forum: HERE helped me pass the SSST the first time (200 snatches wiht the 12kg in 10 min.)
I can't recommend Jordan enough. HOwever, still not a replacement for seeing an RKC if you can.

THe AKC doesn't have alot out there for videos to instruct. Anthony at AOS his probably the closest, since alot of his stuff is timed - but I think his form still leans more to RKC style.

RKC is power and explosive, AKC is endurance and "softer" to get through the set/numbers you want to. Both VERY good kettlebell practices, just depends on your goals. As a purist (as most kb'ers are) you can not mix and match. The styles are too different.

I don't usually frequent the Open Diss. forum here, but there are a lot of instructors out there that are RKC cert and people feel that means they know how to teach/create a program. That is mostly not the case- mostly they are jumping on the bandwagon. WHen you look for instruction, look for someone who has invested time (years - any instructor worth their salt will tellyou not to do snatches for a while till you get the swing and tgu down) and money - getting certified and recertified and actally TEACHing people.

Okay, sorry to get carried away. Kettlebells rock, but you can't just pick them up and follow along, you really have to learn and that takes time.
I also am probably a lot more hard core than most people on site, so I tend to look at this differently.

HOpe that helped.

eta: THis is also a great how to learn the swing video: HERE
both josh and jordan are RKC

Deanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-11, 05:57 PM  
Danielle*
VF Supporter

Nadine,
Thank you so much for the helpful information. Jordan looks like he really knows his stuff. I will also check out the Josh Hillis video.
Thanks again!
Danielle
Danielle* is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kettlebell, kettlebell instruction, kettlebell swings, swings